• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lee Dixon said it wasn't. I am not sure what makes De Zerbi infallible on the subject. In fact his opinion in an interview after a game is always going to be highly biased given he can be fined for stepping out of line and criticizing decisions.
If you say so.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Has anybody bothered to actually look up the actual rule? Rather than just guessing based on what other people say and what the pundits (who also haven’t read the rules) say?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why do you think managers make bland statements like "I have not seen it back yet" and "I can't comment from where I was standing" or "I can't comment on that". Come on you know they can't say certain things. There are also numerous examples of managers being fined for criticism of decisions.
I’m not sure you’re aware of De Zerbi’s back catalogue

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Has anybody bothered to actually look up the actual rule? Rather than just guessing based on what other people say and what the pundits (who also haven’t read the rules) say?
But on the Doku pen the actual VAR ref (not a pundit) clearly says "he definitely touched the ball" when justifying why it wasn't a foul. He presumably knows the rules. And that was a highly dangerous challenge. Again, I can absolutely see why the pen was given yesterday but we've been told many times that a player was saved from conceding a pen as he got a touch on the ball even when taking out the player on loads of occasions this season so why not on this occasion?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But on the Doku pen the actual VAR ref (not a pundit) clearly says "he definitely touched the ball" when justifying why it wasn't a foul. He presumably knows the rules. And that was a highly dangerous challenge. Again, I can absolutely see why the pen was given yesterday but we've been told many times that a player was saved from conceding a pen as he got a touch on the ball even when taking out the player on loads of occasions this season so why not on this occasion?
…..because there are enormous inconsistencies in the standard of reffing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still not clear though. Are we saying its down to the ref to decide if there was any malice in the tackle?

In all honesty if that had happened against Arsenal, no way is a penalty given
There’s nothing about “malice” in the laws either.

The laws on trips seem clear to me and yes it’s down to the referee to apply them and in some cases make a subjective judgement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because you make the tackle to win the ball, Lamptey won the ball, he touched it first. If you can win the ball and it’s still a penalty, then you might as well give up on tackling, it’s a terrible decision, but the useless POGMOL will promote this waste of space.
But winning the ball has nothing to do with the laws on fouls and misconduct. It’s irrelevant. :shrug:

That aside, what exactly do you mean by winning the ball though? Lamptey got the absolute faintest of touches, that wasn’t “winning” anything.

Because you make the tackle to win the ball, Lamptey won the ball, he touched it first. If you can win the ball and it’s still a penalty, then you might as well give up on tackling, it’s a terrible decision, but the useless POGMOL will promote this waste of space.
Genuinely can’t believe you think he won the ball? He was heading off at a rate of knots into the Arsenal fan stand and Jesus would have been left on his own in the pen area with the ball, but for the fact his legs were chopped.

Doesn’t the fact that RDZ saying it was clear give you the clue? This guy speaks from the heart and doesn’t let stuff like this go

Lee Dixon said it wasn't. I am not sure what makes De Zerbi infallible on the subject. In fact his opinion in an interview after a game is always going to be highly biased given he can be fined for stepping out of line and criticizing decisions.
No you don’t get fined for saying you don’t think it’s a penalty.

Dixon is one of those throwback dinosaur controversialists who thinks the wokes have banned tackling these days. De Zerbi actually has a dog in this game and his views are way more relevant than a media attention seeker

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Calling @Dr. No

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There’s nothing about “malice” in the laws either.

The laws on trips seem clear to me and yes it’s down to the referee to apply them and in some cases make a subjective judgement.
There is not, but some who think its a penalty are saying its down to the ref to decide. Subjective judgement = is it to favour big club then yes use it and give a penalty. Sometimes when you make a tackle like that its impossible to not touch the player, if you touch the ball first.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So if you win the ball but absolutely smash the attacker that’s fair game? Sorry no, I disagree.
Was in the 70s/80s.
Trouble is some of us are still living there….

As an aside Milner did a lovely ‘reducer’ on Doku at the Etihad…..

Sadly, Doku got even better 😂

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But winning the ball has nothing to do with the laws on fouls and misconduct. It’s irrelevant. :shrug:

That aside, what exactly do you mean by winning the ball though? Lamptey got the absolute faintest of touches, that wasn’t “winning” anything.
Have to agree….

The force of touch is relevant because, if the ball significantly deviates then it is ‘clearly’ won, and the follow through becomes less relevant.

All frustrating, but parking this discussion, can I just say the ref and linesman had an absolute nightmare in that first half.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is not, but some who think it’s a penalty are saying it’s down to the ref to decide. Subjective judgement = is it to favour big club then yes use it and give a penalty.
Sometimes when you make a tackle like that it’s impossible to not touch the player, if you touch the ball first.
It’s obviously up to the ref to apply the rules and make calls on the subjective elements.

Regarding your last paragraph I’m not sure what point you are trying to make. You’re not allowed to “trip” opponents, intentionally or not, and this is what Lamprey did.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Genuinely can’t believe you think he won the ball? He was heading off at a rate of knots into the Arsenal fan stand and Jesus would have been left on his own in the pen area with the ball, but for the fact his legs were chopped.

Doesn’t the fact that RDZ saying it was clear give you the clue? This guy speaks from the heart and doesn’t let stuff like this go
I believe he won the ball, because he touched it first. That is evident, the intention was the win the ball and he did win the ball. I think it’s incredibly harsh, RDZ doesn’t seem to care anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here