Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

warren aspinall says murray deal close

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hoping Eddie Howe's comments have put this idea to rest. I don't want to see him back. There are better targets out there.

I keep hearing from fans who don't want Murray back that there are "better targets out there" but nobody seems willing to name them. So who is a realistic better target? I can't think of any except ones that Bloom is very unlikely to agree to pay for so they are not realistic.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
but the rivalry is only because of mullery and venerbals,, the fact that mullery slated palace fans sayin something like they were not worth £5 and then went to work for them.. before coming back to us means he dont give a sht about it

That's too simple to put it all down to Mullery and Venables.
They may have been the catalyst but there was a serious undercurrent in British football in the 70's and young supporters were looking for more. At Brighton, they couldn't accept our comfortable position of neutrality and realised that Portsmouth weren't interested in us. At Palace, as violence escalated and their real rivals ( Millwall ) proved too nasty, too unappetising and frankly, far too scary, they went in search of more attractive options. Both sets of fans found each other and it grew from there.
It is of course, a ridiculous rivalry. It has no real foundation. A London club, surrounded by chimney pots, 4 miles from Millwall and 7 miles from Charlton, has as its main rival, a South Coast club, 40 miles away, backing onto the sea. No history of rivalry before the mid 70's until disaffected youths went in search and created one out of nothing.
Now, its established firmly in the minds of many and has become obsessive with those uncomfortable with our natural neutrality. They can't accept that this is an artificial, plastic rivalry, that the rest of football scratch their heads at in bewilderment. The rest of football laugh at us. They mock our insecurity and artificiality. It doesn't make any sense to others up and down the country. The A23 derby...have you ever heard anything so stupid in all your life.
Still, it will be perpetuated by those who don't know any better and get some sort of satisfaction out of it. The sort of people who, immediately BHA have lost, seek out the Palace result, to try and restore some sort of perverted balance. We lost but never mind, Palace did as well, so everything is all right, type of mentality.
Personally, I give 100% attention to my club and it doesn't matter a jot to me what Palace do. When we lose, I want to know why and how. When we win, I want to enjoy it and savour it. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they were winning the Champions League or in the Conference. They don't register in my world. Too much more to worry about.
I wonder how the other football league club in Sussex, only 20 miles away from us, feel about all this?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
He has scored 10 goals in his last 29 Premier League games, and 8 goals in his last 18 Championship games. As long as he passes a medical, history or no history, this guy is a goal scorer that we could do with.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Way I see it is Murray is a guy whose goals helped put us in this division in the first place and we rewarded him by refusing to meet what we all understand to be reasonable demands for his goal return. The fact he went on and scored in the championship for palace and then the premier league only reenforces that. The irony being we will probably now pay more a week for him now than he wanted back then!!

Personally would love him back as like Zamora he has the intelligence in the box to position himself to score goals. Would be a great addition and would easily add the goals that turn some of our draws into victories

That's too simple to put it all down to Mullery and Venables.
They may have been the catalyst but there was a serious undercurrent in British football in the 70's and young supporters were looking for more. At Brighton, they couldn't accept our comfortable position of neutrality and realised that Portsmouth weren't interested in us. At Palace, as violence escalated and their real rivals ( Millwall ) proved too nasty, too unappetising and frankly, far too scary, they went in search of more attractive options. Both sets of fans found each other and it grew from there.
It is of course, a ridiculous rivalry. It has no real foundation. A London club, surrounded by chimney pots, 4 miles from Millwall and 7 miles from Charlton, has as its main rival, a South Coast club, 40 miles away, backing onto the sea. No history of rivalry before the mid 70's until disaffected youths went in search and created one out of nothing.
Now, its established firmly in the minds of many and has become obsessive with those uncomfortable with our natural neutrality. They can't accept that this is an artificial, plastic rivalry, that the rest of football scratch their heads at in bewilderment. The rest of football laugh at us. They mock our insecurity and artificiality. It doesn't make any sense to others up and down the country. The A23 derby...have you ever heard anything so stupid in all your life.
Still, it will be perpetuated by those who don't know any better and get some sort of satisfaction out of it. The sort of people who, immediately BHA have lost, seek out the Palace result, to try and restore some sort of perverted balance. We lost but never mind, Palace did as well, so everything is all right, type of mentality.
Personally, I give 100% attention to my club and it doesn't matter a jot to me what Palace do. When we lose, I want to know why and how. When we win, I want to enjoy it and savour it. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they were winning the Champions League or in the Conference. They don't register in my world. Too much more to worry about.
I wonder how the other football league club in Sussex, only 20 miles away from us, feel about all this?

Handcross????

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The rest of football laugh at us. They mock our insecurity and artificiality.

Oh yeah, that's all I hear from other football fans from all over the country. "I respect the direction in which your football club is going and I admire your excellent attendance figures. I do, however, laugh heartily at your insecurity and artificiality."

What a load of bollocks!:laugh:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
How many threads now about a bloke we can't sign until the end of Feb?! I mean, seriously, give over.

I haven't been following the Murray saga really, on the basis that I can figure out how I feel about it if/when we do. I rather suspect though that the more goals he scores, the happier I'll be.

One consequence of me not having kept up to speed is that I don't know why we can't sign him til the end of Feb... why can't we?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Way I see it is Murray is a guy whose goals helped put us in this division in the first place and we rewarded him by refusing to meet what we all understand to be reasonable demands for his goal return. The fact he went on and scored in the championship for palace and then the premier league only reenforces that. The irony being we will probably now pay more a week for him now than he wanted back then!!

Personally would love him back as like Zamora he has the intelligence in the box to position himself to score goals. Would be a great addition and would easily add the goals that turn some of our draws into victories

Absolutely this. I really like Hemed, but the difference in class, when it comes to converting shots to goal is immense.
Others saying there are better options out there.... Like who exactly?
Proven goalscorers are not ten a penny. We are not looking like the absolute best bet for promotion yet and we are not going to pay silly wages. That limits who we can get.
Murray is one of the best of the possibles, and more importantly one of the more likely to sign in this window.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Given the severe shortage of quality available strikers out there and clubs natural reluctance to sell, especially strikers, in January, Murray looks like an excellent proposition. Allied to that, his style would be a good fit with the way we play and I would imagine he'd quite like to return here given that his family still live here (I think?). Between them a striker roster of Murray, Bobbie, Wilson and Hemed would give Hewton excellent options/permutations and would give opposition defences a lot to think about. Murray is still an excellent player and I am certain he has quite a few more goals in him at Championship level. I was seriously pissed with the way we let him go (which by all accounts was not his fault) and he has conducted himself with great dignity whenever he has played, and scored, against us since leaving. If a deal can be stitched together its a no-brainer for me.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I haven't been following the Murray saga really, on the basis that I can figure out how I feel about it if/when we do. I rather suspect though that the more goals he scores, the happier I'll be.

One consequence of me not having kept up to speed is that I don't know why we can't sign him til the end of Feb... why can't we?

Because we can only sign him on 93 day loan (as he has played permanently for two clubs already this season and you can't play for three) and if he joined sooner than end of Feb the loan would end before the play offs.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Absolutely this. I really like Hemed, but the difference in class, when it comes to converting shots to goal is immense.
Others saying there are better options out there.... Like who exactly?
Proven goalscorers are not ten a penny. We are not looking like the absolute best bet for promotion yet and we are not going to pay silly wages. That limits who we can get.
Murray is one of the best of the possibles, and more importantly one of the more likely to sign in this window.

See Eddie Howes comments he is going nowhere

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
And who are they?

Well, there is the one who plays in England..........................there is that chap who plays in Europe, both of whom their names escape me for the moment......and that is just off the top of my head.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Well, there is the one who plays in England..........................there is that chap who plays in Europe, both of whom their names escape me for the moment......and that is just off the top of my head.

the strikers with no names....... Let's get these targets in, they sound great.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Because we can only sign him on 93 day loan (as he has played permanently for two clubs already this season and you can't play for three) and if he joined sooner than end of Feb the loan would end before the play offs.

Ah! Got it - thanks for replying!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here