Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] War & Peace.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Not normally one for period dramas but read the book 40 years ago (yes, actually did get through it!) and thought would try the TV series. Interested to see how they would contend with the plethora of characters.

Answer: brilliantly. This was TV at it its best. No skimping on the expensive war scenes; costumes and acting were outstanding. Go tthe wife hooked too, even though she was not a fan of the grisly bits.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's Tinker, Tailor all over again... where the 2010's remake was good, perhaps very good, but the original was one of the BBC's moments of real glory.

I can't see equaling ever the 1972 Pierre, Andre, and Natasha...

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It was stunning. Brilliantly observed and acted, with a beautifully haunting soundtrack which I must get. Another winner from the BBC drama department.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I enjoyed it immensely but it's nothing like the book. The 1972 BBC adaptation was more faithful to it - and that one also benefits from Anthony Hopkins' fantastic Pierre.

The new version is visually stunning but misses out huge chunks of the book. In particular, it misses out out on Pierre's development, much of the book is about him trying to find meaning in his life and there's no real sense of that in this version.

Exactly this. OK, the new version will have more appeal to a modern audience, but the book itself and the 1972 version give much better insights into the characters and the ideas about philosophy and history explored by Tolstoy. The "war" parts of the book are given greater credibility by Tolstoy having fought in the Crimean War as an artillery officer.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Aye those in the Meade household - me and La Gaviota (she needs a name far better than Spanish for the seagull, or so google tells me - maybe i'll know her, or refer to her, as Gavi, from now) - were rather engrossed each Sunday evening. I seem to be an increasing sucker for viewings of the agony of unspoken love. The hunt for spirituality of it was touching with Pierre and his innocent glare through the lives of the fiendishly elite led us through countless dramas.

Gavi and i now await another drama away from those we binge on.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I thought it was the best thing on TV for some time (apart from our televised dismantling of Brentford on Friday night of course). The filming, music, acting was amazing. Lily James didn't penetrate my subconscious as such but I'd like to penetrate her. Very hard to adapt a book of that length into 6 hours of screenplay but I thought it was done well and the 5th episode was stunning with appropriate historical references. I expect the BBC will be able to flog it to many other countries and make their money back on it numerous times over.

I understand Russian TV, amongst many others, are keen to get their hands on it. Apparently lots of them have been watching on the net and enjoying it.
It really was a great series and I have also watched the 1972 version and the film. Have to say I really liked all three in their different ways.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I thought it was terrific. I read Andrew Davies quoted as saying he wished he'd adapted it into perhaps 8 rather than 6 episodes which would have been even better.

Knowing little of the Russian historical context I also enjoyed watching the 3 Empire of the Tsars documentaries on the BBC iPlayer. The middle one in oarticular gives excellent background to the war with Napolian - even if Lucy Worsley can be a little trying at times!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here