Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

War horse

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I went to see this film yesterday, and thought it was a brilliant movie. It is quite a moving film, but shot brilliantly. Some breath taking scenery as well. I went with my Mrs, two daughters (16 and 13) and my son. They all enjoyed it as much as me, and that rarely happens. Normally our tastes differ greatly.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Lol

Well FWIW I thought it was ok. Have to say the "war bits" are up there wth the best of them.

My 12 yr old daughter had a good old cry. But lets not lose sight that this is essentially a childrens film based on a childrens book.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Of course it's a kids story based on a kids book, but it is superbly filmed. The detail is an amazing addition to a good story.
Not a dry eye in the house. US has already pointed this out, pity he was bullied into banning himself. :glare:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Has anyone seen the play?

Jnr. (15) accompanied me to the film, he has seen the play. He thought the play to be brilliant but I think prefers the film, just.
I wondered where the men with sticks are in the film, as I couldn't see them, he says they soon disappear in the play as well.

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
Thought it was a good film but not really an Oscar winner as some say it will be (depends on what it will be up against) but what do I know!

My two boys enjoyed and preferred it to the book, more battle action. I thought it was a bit like Lassie Come Home but with a horse as the dog!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
"We need more wire cutters". :lol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The old boy pays 100 (pounds?) for Joey, which is god knows what in today's money, saying "I'll sell everything, sell my farm if I have to, but you won't out bid me." Two minutes later he's giving the horse away to someone he's never met before in his life. You couldn't make it up! (apparently Michael Mopurgo did).

Stage play rocks - can get side seat tickets at The National for £15.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
All scenic stuff filmed on Dartmoor, and the village is in Wiltshire somewhere I think and I will say they have the worst Devonian accents ever !!

As the panaromic landscape sequence at the beginning started my other half said (fairly loudly) to her daughter: "That's probably filmed in New Zealand"

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
Thought the end bit all red and sunsetty was a bit "Gone with the Windesque"

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The bit where the horse was galloping whilst being lacerated by barbed wire was beyond belief. It would have bled to death and the film would been an hour shorter.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Went with the Mrs to see the play in London. It was really good, the 'animators or puppeteers' whatever you want to call them are really clever. Within miniutes you view the horses, the foal joey, and the 'adult' horse as almost real and the story goes along with speed and emotion and dramatics! Really good stage play

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill

Not yet, and maybe not at all. My wife Christmas present on the 10th February with overnight stay at a 4 star hotel. However she has now fallen ill and in terrible pain so I can see it won't happen, but apparently even the blokes need a pack of Kleenex to hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here