Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wanted - examples of people who have benefited from a 'full pre-season'

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
It can certainly help on an individual player basis.
Just look how sharp Leo looked early doors.
4 in 5 until he broke his foot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He had a good three quarters of a season during the 2009/10 getting to know his players, bringing in the odd decent loanee like Calde and in fact that season was very similar to the one we're going through this year. It was one of change and transition, just as this year has been.

He had been here just two months when he brought in Calde, Brezovan, Painter & Barnes so it was more than an odd decent loanee. Calderon came here on a free so wasn't a loanee, in any case. Wood arrived as a loanee a bit later on.

Guy Fawkes mentioned the squad getting fit etc but there would be nothing to do in June regarding the squad as they were all on holiday. Oscar arrived the same day as the players came back.
I also think that he knew he was getting the job long before he arrived. The conclusion of the suspension was a foregone conclusion and we didn't hear anything about short lists, or interviews of other candidates.
Admittedly, he knew nothing about the Championship but he would know about other players with advice, unless English football is a complete unknown subject in Spain (which I doubt)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He had been here just two months when he brought in Calde, Brezovan, Painter & Barnes so it was more than an odd decent loanee. Calderon came here on a free so wasn't a loanee, in any case. Wood arrived as a loanee a bit later on.

Guy Fawkes mentioned the squad getting fit etc but there would be nothing to do in June regarding the squad as they were all on holiday. Oscar arrived the same day as the players came back.
It was a general comment, not just about Garcia and our players last summer.

I also think that he knew he was getting the job long before he arrived. The conclusion of the suspension was a foregone conclusion and we didn't hear anything about short lists, or interviews of other candidates.
Admittedly, he knew nothing about the Championship but he would know about other players with advice, unless English football is a complete unknown subject in Spain (which I doubt)

His late-ish appointment did mean that some potential targets were already signed up to other clubs and Garcia could have done nothing to try to influence them to sign for us instead as he wasn't at the club in an official capacity, even if he knew that he would get the job after all the I's were dotted and T's crossed with the Poyet situation.

Having been he at the end of the previous season would have meant that he could have at least tried to convince them to sign (even if it didn't work)

Also did the whole Poyet thing mean that the club didn't really know what the budget would be for this season? - a big pay-off could have mean't less for the playing side?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here