Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walter Palmer - New Public Enemy No 1? / Cecil the lion

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
No, this is about luring the lion outside of the protection of the national park, so it is classed as poaching.

I get it, sorry, I thought this story was about the disgust some people feel when people gratuitously kill animals in the wild, but it's not.

Someone needs to make sure the animals understand this difference so they know when they are legitimately trophy animals for the global rich to kill, and when they are safe and secure on a national park.

The people who go on this holiday are good to kill lions........

http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/

Walter Palmer on the other hand is completely evil..............

Makes perfect sense.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
REX Walter Palmer poses with one of his kills - a leopard Walter Palmer, the Minnesota dentist who shot dead Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe, asked to kill a massive elephant after shooting the protected animal – but was unable to find one sufficiently large enough, his guide has exclusively told The Telegraph.

Speaking for the first time since this newspaper revealed that Dr Palmer had fired the arrow that felled the much-loved lion, Theo Bronkhorst has given a detailed account of the July 1 hunt which, he said, went wrong from the start.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know............and it may have been illegal but they have not been found guilty yet though right?

Either way what about the hundreds of other Walter Palmers who are out there now legally killing animals, or is this only about when celebrity lions are killed?
No, this is about luring the lion outside of the protection of the national park, so it is classed as poaching.

it is entirely about a "celebrity lion", if it was Lion number 3985 it wouldn't have made any news, just another poaching incident. maybe it shines a light on poaching, for week, then everyone will go onto the next outrage in the media cycle.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
it is entirely about a "celebrity lion", if it was Lion number 3985 it wouldn't have made any news, just another poaching incident. maybe it shines a light on poaching, for week, then everyone will go onto the next outrage in the media cycle.

No it is not

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There are about 9 different species of lion, some of which are in danger of extinction. I am not saying that it is ever right to kill for hunting but it makes it worse when it is deliberately poached from an area of protection.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

So what?

If it highlights what is IMO an abhorrent activity, then that's a good thing.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Great point. Let's stop naming endangered animals then it doesn't matter if they become extinct.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I get it, sorry, I thought this story was about the disgust some people feel when people gratuitously kill animals in the wild, but it's not.

Someone needs to make sure the animals understand this difference so they know when they are legitimately trophy animals for the global rich to kill, and when they are safe and secure on a national park.

The people who go on this holiday are good to kill lions........

http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/

Walter Palmer on the other hand is completely evil..............

Makes perfect sense.

They're all scum as far as I am concerned.

I honestly don't think that the majority of people are aware of how much trophy hunting goes on.

The Walter Palmer/Cecil stuff has highlighted it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Great point. Let's stop naming endangered animals then it doesn't matter if they become extinct.

As I can see we are all on the same side here.

But to ignore the hypocrisy surrounding this particular killing seems to weaken our position, I am guessing the many wildlife 'quangos' that are set up to support animal welfare are allowing/managing the killing of these majestic animals for game and big money, this if any of us genuinely cared might of commented and lambasted big game hunter last month but we didnt, up until now we havent cared.

Maybe this is the catalysts of a greater movement for the greater good, who knows, but we can all look a bit silly if this has only just registered because a Lion was named Cecil.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

But to ignore the hypocrisy surrounding this particular killing seems to weaken our position, I am guessing the many wildlife 'quangos' that are set up to support animal welfare are allowing/managing the killing of these majestic animals for game and big money, this if any of us genuinely cared might of commented and lambasted big game hunter last month but we didnt, up until now we havent cared.

Maybe this is the catalysts of a greater movement for the greater good, who knows, but we can all look a bit silly if this has only just registered because a Lion was named Cecil.

Two people have been arrested for 'allowing this killing' and Zimbabwe have just announced they are seeking Palmer's extradition. It isn't just because the lion had a name, but because the killing was illegal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

There was a thread a while ago about that stupid woman killing stuff. Personally i disagree with hunting in all its forms but you have to accept that some people like to do these things and that they are an important economic aspect of many countries around the world. The reason this one has got so much coverage is because the bloke was deliberately and blatantly breaking laws that were to in place to protect endangered animals. It really hasn't got anything to do with the lion having a name.

I don't really see this as hypocritical, most people understand that a line has to be drawn and most would probably like that line moved but we accept it as a decent compromise. This chap ignored that compromise and decided to deliberately kill an animal that was off limits.

Cecil is a bloody stupid name for a lion.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Two people have been arrested for 'allowing this killing' and Zimbabwe have just announced they are seeking Palmer's extradition. It isn't just because the lion had a name, but because the killing was illegal.

Oh come on, do you think Zimbabwe genuinely cares about the legality of killings, the corruption on human life seems pretty dire over there so animals are unlikely to be protected.

But my point is that for me whether it is a legal or illegal killing it seems quite abhorrent to me and I do not think that the current media outrage really cares about that either.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There was a thread a while ago about that stupid woman killing stuff. Personally i disagree with hunting in all its forms but you have to accept that some people like to do these things and that they are an important economic aspect of many countries around the world. The reason this one has got so much coverage is because the bloke was deliberately and blatantly breaking laws that were to in place to protect endangered animals. It really hasn't got anything to do with the lion having a name.

I don't really see this as hypocritical, most people understand that a line has to be drawn and most would probably like that line moved but we accept it as a decent compromise. This chap ignored that compromise and decided to deliberately kill an animal that was off limits.

Cecil is a bloody stupid name for a lion.

Cecil is a stupid name for anyone .............

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh come on, do you think Zimbabwe genuinely cares about the legality of killings, the corruption on human life seems pretty dire over there so animals are unlikely to be protected.

But my point is that for me whether it is a legal or illegal killing it seems quite abhorrent to me and I do not think that the current media outrage really cares about that either.

You seem far more concerned about the 'media outrage' and bandwagon, than the fact that the lion was in a National Park.

I know Zimbabwe is corrupt. I know someone who lives in Harare.
The fact that the world's media is focused on this killing is a good thing imo.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You seem far more concerned about the 'media outrage' and bandwagon, than the fact that the lion was in a National Park.

I know Zimbabwe is corrupt. I know someone who lives in Harare.
The fact that the world's media is focused on this killing is a good thing imo.

No I am more interested in the killing of Lions irrespective of their status, acknowledging my own and others hypocrisy at the same time ...

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Lots of pointless witchhunt internet outrage over the killing of one lion? Meanwhile the African continent is plundered of its wildlife riches and natural resources funded by a voracious largely Chinese/Asian market and nothing is done about that. I can't get particularly animated by one dickhead dentist when there are far more important things to get genuinely outraged at. I think the internet gives some people another platform to feel good about themselves and highlight what a great moral compass they possess by wishing death on another human being.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lots of pointless witchhunt internet outrage over the killing of one lion? Meanwhile the African continent is plundered of its wildlife riches and natural resources funded by a voracious largely Chinese/Asian market and nothing is done about that. I can't get particularly animated by one dickhead dentist when there are far more important things to get genuinely outraged at. I think the internet gives some people another platform to feel good about themselves and highlight what a great moral compass they possess by wishing death on another human being.

Most people would not dream of doing what he did, f ck him. I am glad of the outrage, don't slam people for caring

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Got it in a nutshell, i dont condone what this bloke did and think he must be a bit of an inadequate tosser , but some of the shit being wished on him is unbelievable.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Most people would not dream of doing what he did, f ck him. I am glad of the outrage, don't slam people for caring

I'm not slamming anyone but its all a bit false this outrage, almost like people can't wait to tell everyone how much more outraged they are than the next person which culminates in it all getting rather foolish and wishing death on someone. In reality not one of those on here wishing death on this idiot would have the balls to either kill him or even be in the same room when he was killed. i'd wager almost every person on here when confronted with the reality of taking another persons life would be begging the would be killer to let him live, you're a liar if you claim otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here