Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walsall Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are only a few clubs who can choose to ignore this competition. We are not one of them. We are far from being promotion contenders at the moment and losing that unbeaten momentum by fielding a massively weakened team is not going to help. Somebody dropped a bollock last night with the team selection and formation-let's hope he learned his lesson.

Albion fans (well, me at least) hate to see us lose any game, regardless of who it is we are playing. Tell those fans who schlepped up to Walsall on a Tuesday night that the competition doesn't matter.

Exactly this.

Quite frankly even if we HAD got through and drawn Chelsea at home, I don't think I'd have bothered going, I'm not wasting money on watching the reserves. If the manager isn't bothering with the League Cup then neither will I. We have a side that is still looking to gel and maintain a bit of momentum, so throwing it up in the air and drawing names out of a tombola was pathetic. I could understand leaving out the likes of Greer and Bruno for a rest, and having another look at Maenpaa, but 10 changes took the mick. It'll make STUFF-all difference to Saturdays result and performance, and most of them have got a 2 week break after that anyway.

I do feel for the fans who paid good money to yomp up there on on wet and windy Tuesday night. Hughton mugged them right off with that team.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There was no homophobic abuse it was no more than banter.
So it's ok for us to call them 'sheep shaggers' welsh and others but then
They come back with "does your boyfriend know your here"
Makes it homophobic?
You're actually comparing bestiality with homosexuality? Ok, I'll reply as if you're being serious. Firstly, I strongly suspect that those chanting 'sheep shaggers' do not think the opposing fans are really shagging sheep, it's a joke (some other fans do think a lot of Brighton fans are gay). Secondly, I doubt that anyone in either sets of fans shag sheep, whereas I'm quite sure that some fans on both sides are homosexual. Finally. there's nothing wrong with being homosexual and it's wrong to discriminate against homosexuals, whereas bestiality is illegal.

Jeez. We support a team who comes from a city that Willingly hosts one of the biggest gaY parades of the year
'Willingly hosts'! Are you suggesting it's wrong of the city to allow homosexuals to protest and have a parade?

What about when they started shouting "spastic" at someone with special needs?
Nice bunch then.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
There are only a few clubs who can choose to ignore this competition. We are not one of them. We are far from being promotion contenders at the moment and losing that unbeaten momentum by fielding a massively weakened team is not going to help. Somebody dropped a bollock last night with the team selection and formation-let's hope he learned his lesson.

Albion fans (well, me at least) hate to see us lose any game, regardless of who it is we are playing. Tell those fans who schlepped up to Walsall on a Tuesday night that the competition doesn't matter.

I was just trying to be positive. You know like the woman from Parks and Recreation.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Some of their early chants were amusing and drew a few laughs. It did seem to go downhill quite quickly.

I live in Warwick and it is hard to get to Brighton for home matches so my son begged to go to a local game.

It is amusing that a poster on here has no issue with abuse but thinks stewards are out of order for making him walk an extra 80 yards to get home. Excellent.

Correct I had NO problem with any abuse ( that was shouted both ways), I did not feel it merits moaning to stewards about, then again I have never complained to a steward about language in a ground and I never will

The stewards physically forced the fire exit closed as several people were making thier way to the coaches that were park right outside the fire exits.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not actually joking, I'm GLAD we're not playing Chelsea today/tomorrow.... This is not the season so far for glorified plastic cup ties imo - concentrate on the league! Plenty of chances to play Chelsea in the future if that's what floats your boat ;)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not actually joking, I'm GLAD we're not playing Chelsea today/tomorrow.... This is not the season so far for glorified plastic cup ties imo - concentrate on the league! Plenty of chances to play Chelsea in the future if that's what floats your boat ;)

I don't buy it.

It IS actually possible to have a good cup run and do well in the League, the two are not mutually exclusive. If we'd taken it seriously then it would've been a real opportunity to go deep into the competition and have some pretty memorable nights along the way, which shirley is what football is all about. Hell, Bradford City got all the way to the Final a couple of years ago, and still got promoted from the 4th division that season.

Whats done is done, but I never like seeing us meekly eliminated early from the League Cup or FA Cup (couldn't give a rats about the JPT though, admittedly).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't buy it.

It IS actually possible to have a good cup run and do well in the League, the two are not mutually exclusive. If we'd taken it seriously then it would've been a real opportunity to go deep into the competition and have some pretty memorable nights along the way, which shirley is what football is all about. Hell, Bradford City got all the way to the Final a couple of years ago, and still got promoted from the 4th division that season.

Whats done is done, but I never like seeing us meekly eliminated early from the League Cup or FA Cup (couldn't give a rats about the JPT though, admittedly).

Normally I'd agree but the start we've made suggests we're in with a great shout of top 8 in the league & I just feel there's a chance our eye may have gone off the league a little and that chance alone is why I'm glad we're not playing Chelsea :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And just to keep the debate balanced, I couldn't disagree with you more!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Normally I'd agree but the start we've made suggests we're in with a great shout of top 8 in the league & I just feel there's a chance our eye may have gone off the league a little and that chance alone is why I'm glad we're not playing Chelsea :thumbsup:

Fair enough.

But I'll never be convinced that a good team is incapable of coping with a few cup ties or the odd high-profile game along the way without the league form dropping off a cliff. Good results breed confidence whatever competition they're in. I'm probably in a minority though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good results breed confidence whatever competition they're in.
I agree that they do, but then presumably poor results do the opposite, and it's more likely we'd get a poor result against Chelsea.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair enough.

But I'll never be convinced that a good team is incapable of coping with a few cup ties or the odd high-profile game along the way without the league form dropping off a cliff. Good results breed confidence whatever competition they're in. I'm probably in a minority though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And just to keep the debate balanced, I couldn't disagree with you more!

That's not a problem my friend. I never want us to lose ever whether it's a friendly or anything, but I'm glad we're not playing Chelsea this week. That may only make sense in my head but c'est la vie :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fair enough.

I'm not sure you are - I think maybe I am. It's not even a case of the players managing an extra game, it's more that the whole club including the players would've had one eye on this fixture for 3 weeks whereas everyone's concentrating on Bolton & then Cardiff this week, which sits well with me :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The fact that at the time we were the first team in history to make the final and go down in the same season would suggest to me that we were the exception rather than the rule.

And personally, I still think that was a worthwhile tradeoff. Its woven into the fabric of the club and passed forever into BHA legend. Would you have traded the win at Anfield, the win at Highbury, the 2-2 at Wembley, if instead someone had offered you a 3rd round elimination at Newcastle and a trundle to 17th ?

Cos I know I bloody wouldn't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The fact that at the time we were the first team in history to make the final and go down in the same season would suggest to me that we were the exception rather than the rule.

And personally, I still think that was a worthwhile tradeoff. Its woven into the fabric of the club and passed forever into BHA legend. Would you have traded the win at Anfield, the win at Highbury, the 2-2 at Wembley, if instead someone had offered you a 3rd round elimination at Newcastle and a trundle to 17th ?

No, but that was the FA cup. The Capital One cup doesn't have the same status.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure you are - I think maybe I am. It's not even a case of the players managing an extra game, it's more that the whole club including the players would've had one eye on this fixture for 3 weeks whereas everyone's concentrating on Bolton & then Cardiff this week, which sits well with me :)

I agree especially as we're already shipping injuries.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree that they do, but then presumably poor results do the opposite, and it's more likely we'd get a poor result against Chelsea.

Defeat against Chelsea wouldn't have been a particularly poor result, as long as we didn't get an absolute mullering. But you shouldn't avoid opportunities of games like that out of fear. I think we'd have given a more than decent account of ourselves.

Hey ho, all ifs and maybes now.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015

Who would? It's not a fair comparison if I've understood the gist of the argument.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

A pedant writes that Leicester City did it in 1969.

Don't hate me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here