Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Walking around Brighton & Hove and the surrounding area...

scooter1

How soon is now?
Just walk. Simple really, unless you need a route.... I work in Shoreham and its dull, but started walking in my lunch hour. It's amazing what you come across from just walking. Shoreham beach is nice, equally Truleigh Hill, neither of these places I'd have really bothered with until I started walking. I can manage around 7k in an hour, and my target is getting back to work in time. It works for me, but maybe not others...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well - you start off parallel to Freehold Terrace, then cross the Gyratory and along Harrington Road. You can take on the old halt here. Come off at Totland Road this should bring you near to Elm Grove school and the northern portal of the tunnel. Then roughly follow Hallett Road and Glynde Road to Freshfield Road then follow this South to the bingo hall . Here you will find the south portal of the tunnel and the former site of the old Kemp Town goods yard and terminus.

Not sure where you are getting those two from.

The tunnel, as you correctly say, ran alongside Elm Grove School and under the Down Terrace/Pankhurst Avenue junction. It would have wheeled under Freshfield Street and just east of St Luke's School. That brings it out around Evelyn Terrace.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Depends where you live really. Urban scenery can be just as captivating as rural.

Completely agree. And Brighton & Hove is a great city to wander about in. So rich in interesting and varied architecture - often on the same street!

Couldn't believe some of the comments on that 'Brightons a shithole' thread a while back. Yeah parts of the city are scruffy (what city doesn't have scruffy areas?), but a lot of the residential areas are great!

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I started walking this time last year. Along with dieting I lost 4 stone.

I now love walking and walk everywhere, its amazing how much of your own town you can discover and I just love exploring, I live in Worthing but have also walked around Brighton too. Every home game I walk to and from the station to where I live (which is about 6 miles in total), this buys me some extra beers on there day :)

Its the best form of exercise, and I now have some brilliant routes around Worthing and beyond. Just got a bit of a niggle in my back though since losing the weight, so watch out and don't over do it.

Enjoy!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's quite nice parking up at Seaford Head then walking over to the Seven Sisters for an iconic photo opportunity. also in summer there is a nice walk up and down the banks of the Adur in Shoreham, park up round the back of the Red Lion or The Amsterdam and head North, there is a bridge just south of Upper Beeding you can cross and it will bring you south on the other bank.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
As part of the attempting to get fit new year, I'm looking to take up a bit of walking... I'm not the fittest as I sit on my arse all week for work so looking to get a bit of walking in for starters before anything more strenuous, one step at a time and all that!

Can anyone recommend some decent routes to walk with some nice views to keep me occupied? Starting off at say an hour and progressively upwards for down the line?...
I’d start at saltdean and walk along the undercliff to the marina and back :wink:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Drive over to Goring then walk towards East Preston along the coast. A complete contrast to the other direction and well worth it. Sea Lane Cafe and Bluebird on route too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here