Votes: 41 18.3%
  • Green

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.9%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm in the same boat. Can't stand Maria Caulfield, but Labour will never win out in Seaford. The Lib Dems however, have had a strong showing in recent elections and have been eating into her majority for some time now. Fingers crossed that it's still the case in 2024 or whenever

James McCleary is a good bloke.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I said Labour but forgot Lloyd RM, the Labour Rees-Mogg is our candidate. So will be hoping he's victim to a bizarre gardening accident, allowing me to make good that intention

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
If 20000 vote for person A, 20000 vote for person B and 20001 vote for person C, then persons A & B's supporters' views become unrepresented and you end up with someone who has only gained a third (plus one) of the votes cast. That seems blatantly unfair.

Indeed, the brexit vote is a classic example. About 17 million voted leave, about 35 million didn’t *

*yes, yes I’m over it. I’m just sayin!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Don't know who I will vote for and won't know until all the candidates have been announced. If more votes were cast for individuals rather than for the parties they are members of then we might have a chance of electing people with a little integrity.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You get one cance to vote for one person, the person who gets most votes wins. Thats fair to me.

Except under our current system, because of the vast differences in constituency sizes, what you write is not necessarily the case. It is absolutely possible currently for the party that receives the most votes nationally, to end up with less MPs than another.

Let's take it to extremes, in a theoretical GE, where there are just five constituencies, under our current voting system:

South Constituency: 51,000 pop. Party A 17,001 / Party B 17,000 / Party C 16,999 Party A MP elected
East Constituency: 21,000 pop. Party A 7,001 / Party B 7,000 / Party C 6,999 Party A MP elected
North Constituency, 30,000 pop. Party A 10,001 / Party B 10,000 / Party C 9,999 Party A MP elected
West Constituency, 45,000 pop. Party A 15,001 / Party B 15,000 / Party C 14,999 Party A MP elected
Central Constituency, 60,000 pop. Party A 18,00 / Party B 20,999 / Party C 21,001 Party C MP elected

Total votes cast:
Party A 67,004 win FOUR seats, a 'landslide victory' - with the smallest total number of voters, of any party.
Party C 69,997 win ONE seats - with the second highest total number of voters.
Party B 69,999 win ZERO seats - with the outright highest total number of voters.

Its patently bollocks.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hence the use of 'childishly' and the apology.:

It really was just like that kid's plastic ball blowing across the goalmouth at the rec... it's not big, it's not clever, but...

:

P.s. I think you'll find it's written "¡cOrByN!"

Poor old Aaron would probably have missed.::D

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If 20000 vote for person A, 20000 vote for person B and 20001 vote for person C, then persons A & B's supporters' views become unrepresented and you end up with someone who has only gained a third (plus one) of the votes cast. That seems blatantly unfair.
So who wins then because you cant elect all 3. The one with most votes yes?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Can someone explain PR voting, from what i understand you vote for all the candidates in order that you like, the winner must get 51% of the votes, if that dosnt happen at first count the one with the least drops out and that candidates 2nd choice is then added, this goes on until 1 persons gets 51%of the votes, if this is correct how can that be fair.
Hopefully someone will explain this better than me or show me the errors of my way.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Political parties would win rather than individuals with allegiance to political parties but with the ability to cross the floor or go independent. Parties would be allotted seats in proportion to their overall votes although even within that there are varying versions of PR. Despite what you read on here there is no right or wrong with either FPTP or PR. It’s the consequences of each that creates support for one side or the other and yet still people make posts claiming a superior morality of PR. Personally I think the increased power of the political parties inherent in this system is reason enough to stay with what we have. If you want further arguments our system manages to avoid empowering fringe extremist parties with a small, significant national vote but lacking anything like majority support in any single area. Just think about the lack of UK MPs from the BNP or the Communist party and compare that to similar groups in mainland Europe.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Can someone explain PR voting, from what i understand you vote for all the candidates in order that you like, the winner must get 51% of the votes, if that dosnt happen at first count the one with the least drops out and that candidates 2nd choice is then added, this goes on until 1 persons gets 51%of the votes, if this is correct how can that be fair.
Hopefully someone will explain this better than me or show me the errors of my way.

There are several forms of PR.
My preferred would be the Superconstituency model. In this several constituencies are amalgamated and parties put forward an ordered list. Once a party achieves a percentage, their first name is elected.
As an example, if there were to be an East Sussex superconstituency returning 10 MPs, then Labour, Tory, LD, Green would put forward a list of candidates.
If the vote is split 40% Tory, 30% Labour, 20% LD 10% Green then the first four Tory candidates are elected, the first three Labour etc.
Done this way you are far more likely to have a local representative who reflects your views and will be sympathetic to your issues.

There's some good information about other systems here : https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk...e-voting-systems/proportional-representation/

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’ll be voting Labour as I have done all my life

Wow - so you'd vote for a Party - whatever their policies are?
At the moment I am politically homeless - I couldn't vote Tory whilst BJ is in charge and there are too many idiots in the cabinet - how are Raab, Truss, Patel, Dorries in positions of power?

I like KS but the Labour Party is unfortunately still full of idiot Corbynistas - take local MP Lloyd Russell-Moyle for example.

I hope in the next two years KS can continue to get rid of them (including at local level as Labour Councils deliver poor and expensive services)

LibDem - good people mostly but can never make a decision on anything important and want to be liked by everyone and therefore achieve nothing.

I agree. Imagine deciding what political parties and politicians stood for at the next election when you have no idea what their policies will be :shrug:

Unless of course, you based it on their historical policies and assumed they would be similar. After all, it's not a personality contest is it ???

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I would vote tactically to ensure we didn't get a Labour government under any circumstances.

Apart from that I would hope Mr Farage gets back into politics and I would vote for his party. Or maybe Reform UK.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I like KS but the Labour Party is unfortunately still full of idiot Corbynistas - take local MP Lloyd Russell-Moyle for example.

I hope in the next two years KS can continue to get rid of them (including at local level as Labour Councils deliver poor and expensive services)

I’ve got to laugh, has anyone seen that Simpson episode where Homer meets his long lost brother Herb?

“Now I want you to ring me back and say the complete opposite of what you just said”

That’s where I am at the moment :lol:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I would vote tactically to ensure we didn't get a Labour government under any circumstances.

Apart from that I would hope Mr Farage gets back into politics and I would vote for his party. Or maybe Reform UK.

As a Labour man, the first line is “ok, fair enough, different strokes an all that”

The second line genuinely worries me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here