[Politics] Voter Identification.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
most our european friends need to have ID to vote and their cards arent free. are they discriminatory?

im only trying to help here, if everyone wants to bang on about the availablity and cost of the ID card, that will be solved and we'll have them in short order. pick the right battleground. its not about voter suppression, its about introducing an ID.

Sorry but I entirely disagree. This is voter suppression aimed at those least likely to support/vote for an increasingly right wing government. The side benefit for Patel promoting more authoritarian policing is a side benefit.

Last edited:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Okay, here is the question to ask. Have any of you EVER gone into a polling station to vote and found that your name has already been crossed through as someone has stolen your vote?

Having been a Presiding Officer for over 30 years in Adur, it didn’t ever happen on my station. I don’t remember it happening on any other station and it would have been a certain talking point if it had.

Whilst I miss the buzz of Election Day, I’m glad to be out of it now!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There is absolutely no need for voter ID. Vote theft is not, has never been, and never will be an issue. I’m not fundamentally against a National ID scheme, it could help many people but..but ...As with anything this Tory government do, one has to examine who benefits the most. And as usual, it’s the Tory’s and their collaborators.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There is absolutely no need for voter ID. Vote theft is not, has never been, and never will be an issue. I’m not fundamentally against a National ID scheme, it could help many people but..but ...As with anything this Tory government do, one has to examine who benefits the most. And as usual, it’s the Tory’s and their collaborators.

It really is as simple as this.

Cynical voter suppression that will depress the vote disproportionately from the poor and ethnic minorities and will really damage Labour. All those clowns in Labour who spent 5 years undermining Corbyn’s chances, bravo the leopard has just eaten your face too

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Cynical voter suppression that will depress the vote disproportionately from the poor and ethnic minorities and will really damage Labour. All those clowns in Labour who spent 5 years undermining Corbyn’s chances, bravo the leopard has just eaten your face too

Well Corbyn lost the election and gave the Tories a huge majority no I'm not sure what your point is.

Back to the real world....

This is clearly a sneaky move by the Government in conjunction with changes to the mayoral system based on some research clearly focussing on "small gains".

If they were really worried about voter id they would introduce an ID card, but they can't/won't because they are so ideologically opposed to it. So let's just stop people voting without a passport or driving licence, because research suggests it will deter people less likely to vote for them.

The current mayoral system is fine (and more democratic than FPTP) but research suggests they would have a better chance of winning if the supplementary vote was scrapped.

Beyond their shenanigans, how appalling is our system that it allows a Government with a large majority (of any party) to change the voting system.

Well Corbyn lost the election and gave the Tories a huge majority no I'm not sure what your point is.

Back to the real world....

This is clearly a sneaky move by the Government in conjunction with changes to the mayoral system based on some research clearly focussing on "small gains".

If they were really worried about voter id they would introduce an ID card, but they can't/won't because they are so ideologically opposed to it. So let's just stop people voting without a passport or driving licence, because research suggests it will deter people less likely to vote for them.

The current mayoral system is fine (and more democratic than FPTP) but research suggests they would have a better chance of winning if the supplementary vote was scrapped.

Beyond their shenanigans, how appalling is our system that it allows a Government with a large majority (of any party) to change the voting system.
Enjoy your trashing of Corbyn and permanent Tory government i guess was my point - bravo!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
For those who do not already have an acceptable form of photo ID, The Electoral Commission have suggested a free of charge locally issued photo ID based on the existing scheme in Northern Ireland.
The Commission estimated 92% of the electorate already have one form of the photo ID it was recommending could be used.

Can I use it to get into next season’s football matches out the Amex?

If people are upset about needed photo ID to take part in the UK’s democratic system, just wait till they notice it’s required to go and watch BHA at home!

I would wager a new thread with 100 plus pages of outrage, including some formenting Bloom out protests to oust the right wing authoritarian facist that he must be.

Happy days!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Can I use it to get into next season’s football matches out the Amex?

If people are upset about needed photo ID to take part in the UK’s democratic system, just wait till they notice it’s required to go and watch BHA at home!

I would wager a new thread with 100 plus pages of outrage, including some formenting Bloom out protests to oust the right wing authoritarian facist that he must be.

Happy days!

I am annoyed about that too, but it appears to be a government diktat rather than club policy. Hopefully once restrictions are fully released this will not be necessary. Given that to buy a ticket you have to be registered, the ST will be loaded on to our phones I feel the club has more than enough information to identify the ticket holder. It is OTT in my view and I do not have to jump through these hoops to attend any other event. Yet again football fans being held to a higher standard than others, that is probably a discussion for another thread though.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
How will it benefit them, exactly?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I can only see this being a reasonable idea if there is evidence of widespread voter fraud and, without fail, free ID cards are provided to every eligible voter. However, the principle should always be that the maximum number of people should be able to vote. If you just want to limit the numbers of voters who don't agree with your own political opinion, then clearly you don't believe in democracy and freedom.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Interesting how any change to the voting system that doesn't benefit the Conservatives requires a referendum, and we had one of those about 8 years ago which definitely validated FPTP over all alternatives, forever. When it marginally helps the Conservatives suddenly any change can be voted straight through and is an obvious change to deal with unacceptable flaws with the system.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1392371462124843009[/TWEET]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I can only see this being a reasonable idea if there is evidence of widespread voter fraud and, without fail, free ID cards are provided to every eligible voter. However, the principle should always be that the maximum number of people should be able to vote. If you just want to limit the numbers of voters who don't agree with your own political opinion, then clearly you don't believe in democracy and freedom.

Sorry but I entirely disagree. This is voter suppression aimed at those least likely to support/vote for an increasingly right wing government. The side benefit for Patel promoting more authoritarian policing is a side benefit.

[TWEET]1392371462124843009[/TWEET]

So presumably you also think that votes are suppressed in countries like Germany where voter ID already exists ? Fair enough if you do by the way although I don’t agree.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So presumably you also think that votes are suppressed in countries like Germany where voter ID already exists ? Fair enough if you do by the way although I don’t agree.

Countries like Germany have PR.

How many countries in the world have FPTP?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Germany already has a compulsory ID card system. Enforcing one without the other is pointless.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

There will be people in any country with voter ID requirements who are turned away because they don't have an acceptable document with them, either because they don't own the right document or they happen to not have it on their person at the time.

Regardless of who those people would have voted for, that should not be considered acceptable.

People who this affects are generally those who don't have a large public voice for whatever reason, so it isn't surprising that it doesn't feature high up the news reports in the countries in question, much less in the UK.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m in broad agreement with the Government here. There is a weakness in the system which, hypothetically, could be exploited. But since there is no evidence to suggest that voter fraud is an issue, the Government should really be worrying about recovering from the pandemic, social care and supporting businesses and the economy through the side effects of Brexit.

Instead they are busy thinking about the next election and how they can cling on to power as well as looking at ways to increase political power vs the judiciary.

Anyone who has looked at how the Tories selected the the towns to ‘level up’ (rejecting civil servants advice) will realise that everything this Government does is hugely political, the actions all centred on their one real value; keeping Boris in power.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56283199

Voter ID is based on the same premise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports