Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree, that won't stop someone starting a business and getting a contract from one of their memebers of family/school mates who just so happens to be in the cabinet though

Then a couple of years later, when it is found the cards are very easy to forge, abandon the whole scheme. In the meantime, £millions have changed hands.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1392058228297588737[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's just another barrier that is totally uneccessary. Passports are expensive and many people don't drive. What you say sounds 'reasonable', but we all know this is being enacted in bad faith. Not as bad as the States but it's the thin edge of wedge for me. The government know that the people who are unlikely to have photo ID will be the poor and the marginalised, hardly fertile ground for the Tory party.

Our elections work perfectly fine, they are conducted in fair manner. There is no problem to solve here.

The government has to make the case for this measure by demonstrating that our electoral system has been subvert by nefarious means. They have categorically not done that.

Passports cost a lot. Bus passes don't. The government just needs to legislate so that they have to be taken as proof of ID. I don't think the ID cards tat kids have to prove they're over 18 in the pub cost a lot either - so the same should apply to them.
No need for passports - or driving licenses - for people who don't want or need them. Just a little common sense needed. Anyway, as I said, ID cards have been introduced on the sly for commercial transactions, so that cat is out of the bag. Can't put it back in, so best stop moaning about it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
[tweet]1392103179957985285[/tweet]

"Confirming deliberate drive to disenfranchise non-Tory voters." - complete non sequitur - and not a shred of evidence either.

Just exactly who do people think won't be able to get an identity card (not a passport or a driving license) if they're brought in? Nobody's come up with a plausible answer to that yet.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
voter id and cops have carte blanche to close down/end any protests or civil disruption ........ding dong , did you vote for this...?????

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Passports cost a lot. Bus passes don't. The government just needs to legislate so that they have to be taken as proof of ID. I don't think the ID cards tat kids have to prove they're over 18 in the pub cost a lot either - so the same should apply to them.
No need for passports - or driving licenses - for people who don't want or need them. Just a little common sense needed. Anyway, as I said, ID cards have been introduced on the sly for commercial transactions, so that cat is out of the bag. Can't put it back in, so best stop moaning about it.

I haven't used an ID card in my adult life aside from ID for pubs. How many people regularly use them?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I haven't used an ID card in my adult life aside from ID for pubs. How many people regularly use them?

Use ID all the time,train pass,work pass,passport,driving licence when stopped by old Bill. Does not bother me in the slightest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I was watching the Hartlepool by-election and I repeatedly saw the same middle-aged gammon going into the polling centre.

it's a replay , you've been gaslit .......the IB ethos doesn't work for people like you , you have to be exceptional to get the grade but once you do you're home and hosed , rather than gnawing on air cured pork products and quaffing boutique ales.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Used one (Photo ID driving licence) last week when I went to the local tip/recycling centre.

The week before when I went onto a construction site, the foreman said photo ID was mandatory.

Europeans laugh at us when we say we have no ID card system.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

See the several posts on this thread detailing occasions when people have needed photo ID (which in this country is a photo driving license or a passport), not ID cards per se - but there are times when officially recognised photo ID is required before a transaction can be completed. Money laundering regulations are the reason in many instances.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
See the several posts on this thread detailing occasions when people have needed photo ID (which in this country is a photo driving license or a passport), not ID cards per se - but there are times when officially recognised photo ID is required before a transaction can be completed. Money laundering regulations are the reason in many instances.

Anyway, as I said, ID cards have been introduced on the sly for commercial transactions, so that cat is out of the bag

Fair enough, I was more wondering about this point. ID cards (outside of driving licence and passport for some limited transactions) are not that widely used at all, not enough to claim that the cat is out of the bag IMO, and there is no issue with electoral fraud in this country (as Jacob Rees Mogg himself has confirmed). I just don't see how anyone can argue that this is okay, but then this kind of voter supression is a tool used in the US by the Republicans so it's no surprise Alexander De Pfeffel Johnson wants in.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
"Confirming deliberate drive to disenfranchise non-Tory voters." - complete non sequitur - and not a shred of evidence either.

Just exactly who do people think won't be able to get an identity card (not a passport or a driving license) if they're brought in? Nobody's come up with a plausible answer to that yet.

Has anyone come up with an answer to why we need something that will waste time and money, to solve a problem there's no evidence exists?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Use ID all the time,train pass,work pass,passport,driving licence when stopped by old Bill. Does not bother me in the slightest.

Good for you, you can now be at the front of the queue for the national ID card, available for only £100. Your will need to carry this card with you at all times, and failure to produce your card on demand will result you being searched, detained and arrested until such time as the authorities are satisfied as to your ID. You will also need to pay a £1,000 fine before being released.
Should you have your ID card stolen or you lose it, it's anyone's guess as to what other material you can use to verify your ID so you may be spending a lot of time locked up.

At least your national ID card will enable you to vote, although your ID card number will now be logged against who you voted for.

Welcome to the new Tory England.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Okay, here is the question to ask. Have any of you EVER gone into a polling station to vote and found that your name has already been crossed through as someone has stolen your vote?

I'm sure it happens but its very rare.

The Tories just learning from the Republicans in the USA, this is just the start there is plenty more in their toolkit.

Winning isn't enough, until for win forever

Capture.PNG

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Good for you, you can now be at the front of the queue for the national ID card, available for only £100. Your will need to carry this card with you at all times, and failure to produce your card on demand will result you being searched, detained and arrested until such time as the authorities are satisfied as to your ID. You will also need to pay a £1,000 fine before being released.
Should you have your ID card stolen or you lose it, it's anyone's guess as to what other material you can use to verify your ID so you may be spending a lot of time locked up.

At least your national ID card will enable you to vote, although your ID card number will now be logged against who you voted for.

I’ll stick to using my driving licence or passport if it’s ok with you?
Thanks .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Appeal-to-Extremes

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Has anyone come up with an answer to why we need something that will waste time and money, to solve a problem there's no evidence exists?

Has anyone come up with an answer as to how this evil corrupt government (I think I've got that right?) is going to prevent people getting ID cards.and which groups are they going to target?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here