Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
But equally you could argue that not having ID Cards and Voter ID seems to work here, so why have them here?

Personally I feel that wandering into a Village Hall - simply being asked my name, not having to have any ID, not even having to show my polling card, is an antiquated system and open to abuse.

If that system was operated in Africa the world would be shouting voter fraud.

Personally I don't have any issue with ID cards either, or a compulsory DNA swab.

What has everyone got to hide?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Stop it now. A video of Dawn Butler being stopped by the Metropolitan police is not racist.
Back on thread, what are your views on voter ID from 2023 onwards?.

Love that you are dishing out insults left, right and centre and the second you get any stick you give it “keep it civilised, back on track”.

I don’t think I’ve ever done across a less self aware person on NSC.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I can't be bothered to check the whole thread but has any evidence been found that it will come in for 2023?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Sounds like a good way of cleansing an underclass from engaging in democracy.

Wonder what mystery think tank came up with that idea?

Would you say the same to all Italians, Germans, French, Greeks, etc. who all have to have ID to enable them to vote?

BTW Photo ID is required (along with your membership card) when attending/voting at Labour Party meetings - perhaps it is the Labour Party who is 'cleansing an underclass from engaging in democracy'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just unblocked a few of the OP's posts to see why others are chewing him out. The 'keyboard warrior' one made me laugh. This, from a bloke who invited people to give me a slap a while ago :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can't be bothered to check the whole thread but has any evidence been found that it will come in for 2023?

its due to be in the Electoral Integrity Bill expected in the spring.

BTW Photo ID is required (along with your membership card) when attending/voting at Labour Party meetings - perhaps it is the Labour Party who is 'cleansing an underclass from engaging in democracy'

obviously once this is pointed out Labour will support the scheme. there seems no good reason to object on the principle of ID. nothing here put forward other than the concern of people not having suitable ID, which is easily fixed. better to put efforts to ensuring ID card can be provided free for groups, and use for other services.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Personally I feel that wandering into a Village Hall - simply being asked my name, not having to have any ID, not even having to show my polling card, is an antiquated system and open to abuse.

Personally I don't have any issue with ID cards either, or a compulsory DNA swab.

I think there is a place for a discussion about this, but there is also a deep suspicion about the motives of the OP. There may also be a place for a discussion about whether more needs to be done to dilute the echo chamber effect that occurs in closed communities, whether they be non English speaking immigrants in the North who are not taking their Covid vaccines, or white working class in London's former docklands who are angry about footballers taking the knee (and probably also not taking their vaccines). However if the OP of this thread started the debate I would be suspicious of the motives. The same applies to this thread. And I'm clearly not alone :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think there is a place for a discussion about this,

right so we keep to the issue rather than discussions about posters. im certain they have an agenda, the issue is still an interesting one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
right so we keep to the issue rather than discussions about posters. im certain they have an agenda, the issue is still an interesting one.

Mmmm....my point was that I doubt the place is here. Anyway, never mind.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I can see a Guido Fawkes thing about needing photo ID to join the labour party conference which is s different thing a meeting. I'd be surprised if other parties didn't do the same.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Love that you are dishing out insults left, right and centre and the second you get any stick you give it “keep it civilised, back on track”.

I don’t think I’ve ever done across a less self aware person on NSC.

If I didn't know any better I'd suggest maybe the OP has realised virtually everyone is disagreeing with him and is now trying to get it into the Bear Pit in the hope it'll die off and save his embarrassment.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

That is a bit of a false argument though, as a society we shouldn't be assuming that people are 'hiding' anything, and certainly shouldn't be imposing things upon them unnecessarily.

There is no cost to not requiring ID to be provided when we go to vote, but there would be both societally and financially if it were to be introduced.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

What is the abuse that you are concerned is happening/will happen?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If I didn't know any better I'd suggest maybe the OP has realised virtually everyone is disagreeing with him and is now trying to get it into the Bear Pit in the hope it'll die off and save his embarrassment.

There is plenty of disagreement about this issue. Personally I haven’t made my mind up because neither side really sets out to answer the issues raised by the other. It’s all just entrenched echo chamber stuff, re-iteration of views presented as fact and insults. I will stay on the fence until civilized argument breaks out.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Edit: there is an argument that if the most strongly supported candidate gets less that 50% of the vote the constituency should not be allowed to return an MP.

No UK government is elected by as much as 50% of those who vote let alone 50% of registered vtesr let alone 50% of those eligible to vote if they all registered to vote. For thise reasons I'm OK with a government with a majority f seats elected y only around 40% of those who votes.

Until 1918 no UK government had been elected with a single vote from a woman, it didn't make it right.

To be honest I consider "not caring" to be a significantly better argument than most of the specific objections given.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here