Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yes,agreed, would certainly sort out the keyboard warriors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lolol: :lolol: I look forward to you posting under your real name the next time you knowingly share doctored racist videos and child abuse jokes!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
:lolol: :lolol: I look forward to you posting under your real name the next time you knowingly share doctored racist videos and child abuse jokes!

Stop it now. A video of Dawn Butler being stopped by the Metropolitan police is not racist.
Back on thread, what are your views on voter ID from 2023 onwards?.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There are millions with no access to photo ID. This is voter suppression, nothing else
does that apply to all the other countries with photo ID required for voting?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
To me it seems like a waste of money and time to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Surely there are more important things to be concentrating on at the moment?

I think it stems from people having a warped view on how easy it would be to do. You might be able to turn up at polling station before one person and vote for them (provided they hadn't voted already) but you wouldn't be able to keep returning to that polling station as the poll clerks remain the same all day, and that one vote is hardly going to be enough to make a difference on the outcome. It would be an operation involving hundreds of people moving around multiple polling sites to influence the outcome of even the tightest seats. No way that would happen without a substantial amount of people getting caught/the whole plot getting leaked. People seems to hold a dissonance around voter fraud that somehow 'politicians couldn't organise a piss up a brewery' alongside 'politicians can organise a sophisticated fraud operation to secretly alter the outcome of elections (so secret we haven't found any evidence of it happening)'

As an aside I find it strange that Baker Lite seems to think it would be a good idea to disenfranchise his mother.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
May as well just stop peasants from voting anyway, it makes **** all difference. they can be branded for identification to stop them from going to nice places and mucking it up for the upper classes.

It's simple really.

ID Cards and Voter ID seem to work in Europe though - so why not here?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Arguably the current major parties are effectively coalitions anyway, in most countries Jacob Rees Mogg and Ken Clarke wouldn't have been in the same party for many years, or Tony Blair and Jeremy Corbyn.

And in my opinion seeing the end of them would be no bad thing. You might still end up with a "Conservative coalition" formed of the hard and soft Tories, but what it would prevent would be a scenario like we have at the moment where a Prime Minister can, with impunity, stuff his cabinet full of hardline right-wing Tories and ignore anyone outside his little bubble. A coalition of Tories would have to involve bringing in the likes of David Gauke, Ken Clarke etc. to sit at the table, else they'd walk away and bring Johnson down. So even if people are wedded to one of the main parties (or their ideas) above all else it forces them to get different perspectives which are otherwise lost.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
does that apply to all the other countries with photo ID required for voting?

Most of those countries seem to have national ID cards. And one of those countries is the famously democratic and fair Hungary

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Most of those countries seem to have national ID cards. And one of those countries is the famously democratic and fair Hungary

yes and there's no practical difference between voter ID and national ID. so lets address the question why this is voter suppression here but not in other countries. if this really the only objection its not very good, as we simply provide for free to those on low incomes.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
ID Cards and Voter ID seem to work in Europe though - so why not here?

It depends how its set up and for what purpose.

my photo driving license has expired, it won't let me do it on line. Computer says no because it's trying to tie it in with my passport. 2 completely separate things. With nothing to hide, one simple card would in theory be simple, but I can't see it happening. just under 3/4 of people have either.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
yes and there's no practical difference between voter ID and national ID. so lets address the question why this is voter suppression here but not in other countries. if this really the only objection its not very good, as we simply provide for free to those on low incomes.
I'm sure everyone else will be happy to pay for something to solve a problem that doesn't appear to exist that might disenfranchise other people. That seems a sensible use of time and money at the present time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If this is a reference to party list voting, it's the main reason why I prefer both FPTP and Single Transferable Vote to PR.

I'd suggest that parliament should at least roughly reflect the national vote. If the country hasn't voted for a single party to have majority power then I don't think any party should.

I'm also currently a member of the labour party.

Edit: there is an argument that if the most strongly supported candidate gets less that 50% of the vote the constituency should not be allowed to return an MP.

No UK government is elected by as much as 50% of those who vote let alone 50% of registered vtesr let alone 50% of those eligible to vote if they all registered to vote. For thise reasons I'm OK with a government with a majority f seats elected y only around 40% of those who votes.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
To me it seems like a waste of money and time to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Surely there are more important things to be concentrating on at the moment?

I think it stems from people having a warped view on how easy it would be to do. You might be able to turn up at polling station before one person and vote for them (provided they hadn't voted already) but you wouldn't be able to keep returning to that polling station as the poll clerks remain the same all day, and that one vote is hardly going to be enough to make a difference on the outcome. It would be an operation involving hundreds of people moving around multiple polling sites to influence the outcome of even the tightest seats. No way that would happen without a substantial amount of people getting caught/the whole plot getting leaked. People seems to hold a dissonance around voter fraud that somehow 'politicians couldn't organise a piss up a brewery' alongside 'politicians can organise a sophisticated fraud operation to secretly alter the outcome of elections (so secret we haven't found any evidence of it happening)'

As an aside I find it strange that Baker Lite seems to think it would be a good idea to disenfranchise his mother.

Ah yes, once again the progressive, tolerant left choosing to play the man not the ball. My mother will be fine, don’t you worry, if voter ID is required I’m sure she’s going to be able to access the means to do so.
I suppose it could be worse, you could be like Guinness boy and you inform me one of your friends has raped my wife.. what is it with you people? You seem to have real hate in your posts..
Please try not to engage with me again, you disgust me.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Stop it now. A video of Dawn Butler being stopped by the Metropolitan police is not racist.
Back on thread, what are your views on voter ID from 2023 onwards?.

:lolol: You knew it had been doctored, and you still posted along with the bullshit story those who doctored it were pushing. Even doubled down with a joke about it. That's a woman who receives very real world threats of violence on the regular. Well done Mr Lite. I assume that is your real name as you're so in favour of using your real identity online :lolol:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
My mother will be fine, don’t you worry, if voter ID is required I’m sure she’s going to be able to access the means to do so.

That's good. I just hope all of her peers that it would also disenfranchise would be able to do the same. It seems likely to me that some of them wouldn't have the support that you can offer/the means and it would leave them without a vote.

what is it with you people?You seem to have real hate in your posts.

:mad:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Ah yes, once again the progressive, tolerant left choosing to play the man not the ball. My mother will be fine, don’t you worry, if voter ID is required I’m sure she’s going to be able to access the means to do so.
I suppose it could be worse, you could be like Guinness boy and you inform me one of your friends has raped my wife.. what is it with you people? You seem to have real hate in your posts..

Tell us some more of your child abuse jokes BL, apparently they are ok in your odd world? :nono:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Definition of Satire

wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here