[Politics] Voter Identification.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Another thought on this subject.

In the recent American election, Trumps main post election attack was that there was massive voter fraud that robbed him of his victory.
This had been instigated by POSTAL vote fraud , in most cases, or defective electronic voting machines, deliberately giving false vote counts.
Photo ID would not have defeated either of these fraudulent practices.
The fact neither of them existed in the first place is immaterial.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I find mine is useful at the local tip - to prove that I'm from W Sussex.

I would’ve though the crimson chinos and Barbour gillet are sufficient to prove you’re from West Sussex?

(Only kidding, West Sussex chums :whistle:)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Whatever the rights and wrongs of voter registration and FPTP, this is the type of attitude recently displayed by Donald Trump. Our system of democratic elections is a fragile concept, easily undermined but best defended.

Trumps complaints even before the American election were not about the system of the vote, it was how the votes were counted, and how fraud would be used by his opponents to rob him of his rightful victory ( in his eyes) . My opposition to our electoral system, is it is not fit for purpose in the 21st century with universal suffrage.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whatever the rights and wrongs of voter registration and FPTP, this is the type of attitude recently displayed by Donald Trump. Our system of democratic elections is a fragile concept, easily undermined but best defended.

The vast majority of democratic countries have proportional representation.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
NYC brought out an optional ID card. Their reason was that when a lot of people were stopped by the NYPD they had no means of proving their ID, so they made sure that homeless people and those with an undocumented immigration status were not disenfranchised and were able to obtain the new ID card. It was accepted by the police and pretty much every other institution apart from airlines who still requested a passport or drivers license. To increase the uptake they included reduced or free admission to museums, public gyms etc. It struck me as a good idea and I was quite impressed with the way they did it by making it easy to get and by making it inclusive. I think other cities have introduced similar systems. Not sure why a lot of people get so bent out of shape about ID cards, these days 'they' know everything about you anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The vast majority of democratic countries have proportional representation.

maybe they have some, FPTP still featues in many countries. still usually end up with government a majority didnt vote for.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I wouldn’t want PR. You just end up with coalitions.

As for voter ID... Outside of Tower Hamlets, do we need it?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You seem a really nasty person, please try not to engage with me in future, call yourself a moderator? Why would you say I’m in an incestuous relationship with my 83 year old mother? Why would you suggest your Nigerian friend had raped my wife? Just why? Do I offend you that much that you have to revert to this bile?
Back on topic.... I believe production of ID at polling stations would be a good thing..good day to you sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's only BANTZ. I bet you're a right laugh on the slash

I've clearly missed a thread here ! :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I wouldn’t want PR. You just end up with coalitions.

I'm not sure why that's a bad idea. We had a coalition throughout WW2 and that did a pretty good job.

It was suggested that one of the reasons we ended up with such a bad Brexit deal is that mainland European politicians are brought up on coalitions and, therefore, their entire political lives are spent horse-trading. It means that they're very geared towards compromise. Our politicians, with the winner takes all mentality, aren't used to that amount of give and take, which is why Brexit was so badly handled on this side of the Channel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports