Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No completely different. Fewer people will vote because of this and we should be encouraging more people to vote.
What drivel. The reason people don't vote is because they are to lazy to go a polling station like me. Not pulling out some ID from your wallet and flashing it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wasn't voting fraud rife in NI before the introduction of the voting act thing?

Which makes sense. Y'know, introducing a method to tackle an existing problem.

The electoral commission here continually finds little evidence of wide scale voting fraud. I just had a quick read through their pages for the last few years and a large proportion of the fraud cases that were investigated were campaigning frauds, not fraud carried out at the polling booth.

I just don't see the need :shrug:
Yes, it seems that actual fraud at the polling booth is an extremely rare occurence.

This is not needed. Good to see the political sides of NSC united on something.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What drivel. The reason people don't vote is because they are to lazy to go a polling station like me. Not pulling out some ID from your wallet and flashing it.
Making it harder for people to vote is bad for democracy, its that simple.

But if you're wearing a MAGA cap, lets face it you don't believe in it....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wasn't voting fraud rife in NI before the introduction of the voting act thing?
I had a college lecturer who had worked as an election official in Northern Ireland at the height of the troubles. Some of the stories he used to tell made your hair stand on end.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I don't agree with it in principle and I absolutely disagree with the manner the nasty party went about this allowing certain types of ID for age groups but we're not French, we will take it and when we vote, we will show our ID.
I've voted this morning, flashed my ID and marked an X in my (non tory) box.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Except I've never done that at a post office
Really? I’ve always had to show ID at Seaford collection office, or at Coop/Tesco when collecting parcels from Amazon etc

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Voter ID is fine but they should also make voting compulsory as the shocking turnout for elections is more damaging to our democracy.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
7 accusations of voting fraud at polling stations at the last GE. None upheld.

Estimates of 900,000 to 2,000,000 without suitable ID.

Take up of the new ID 89,502.

(Figures from The Financial Times)

House of Lords pushed for Student ID and young persons railcard to be added to the list, Government rejected it.

I cannot see how this is good for democracy ... But that was never really the point was it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Notice my careful wording in anticipation of this exact reply
I've just prevented my risk of crashing at the wheel of a Formula One car by being over 50, unfit, not great at driving and not rich. I can't stop congratulating myself.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't have a massive problem with the need for voter ID, but you need to make it simple for EVERYONE. It is just ridiculous that travel passes are acceptable ID for over-60s, but not for anyone else. But we know the reasons why....
yep, they want the younger voters to get a PASS Card ID, and more used to the notion of a ID card. and there are no age based travel cards for 18+, they are 16+ for network rail/oyster and younger for bus passes.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
yep, they want the yonuger voters to get a PASS Card ID, and more used to the notion of a ID card. and there are no age based travel cards for 18+, they are 16+ for network rail/oyster and younger for bus passes.
But it's prove your ID not your age?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't agree with it in principle and I absolutely disagree with the manner the nasty party went about this allowing certain types of ID for age groups but we're not French, we will take it and when we vote, we will show our ID.
Is that the same French who have to prove ID in order to vote?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here