[Politics] Voter Identification.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Completely wrong.

I deliberately tried to get away without showing mine to see how strictly they were enforcing it. But they were enforcing it

I very politely told the clerk what I thought of the need to show this ID

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Asked by someone for Voter ID outside the polling station.

I asked them to ID themselves first, he told me her was a clerk, I then reminded them all clerks should not be stepping outside the polling station.

Clearly turning individuals away with no ID and not recording them. Not great...
Yes - the fiddle is to turn you away outside the polling station so you are not part of the "turned away" count which is done inside the room. Dodgy stuff.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What, like when you collect a parcel from the Post Office - or an Albion ticket at an away game?
I'd suggest picking up a parcel and universal suffrage are somewhat different.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Agreed.

I'd say it was far more important to prove who you are when you vote, that when picking up a parcel.
I don't have a massive problem with the need for voter ID, but you need to make it simple for EVERYONE. It is just ridiculous that travel passes are acceptable ID for over-60s, but not for anyone else. But we know the reasons why....

Reactions: A1X

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't have a massive problem with the need for voter ID, but you need to make it simple for EVERYONE. It is just ridiculous that travel passes are acceptable ID for over-60s, but not for anyone else. But we know the reasons why....
Because they are less likely to travel abroad or drive, therefore not own a valid passport or drivers license?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes - the fiddle is to turn you away outside the polling station so you are not part of the "turned away" count which is done inside the room. Dodgy stuff.
Does seem to be what's going on.

I appreciate turnout for local elections is low, but it is troubling that only around 5% of those estimated NOT to have no voter ID have asked the authorities for a photo ID voting card.

Are we looking at a comprimised election today?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Does seem to be what's going on.

I appreciate turnout for local elections is low, but it is troubling that only around 5% of those estimated NOT to have no voter ID have asked the authorities for a photo ID voting card.

Are we looking at a comprimised election today?
That depends on whether the results go the way people want them to. Look at Trump - “we lost, so it must be foul play”.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I didn't need any photo ID to get a postal vote. Good job too because I haven't got any.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Driving around the last few days, the almost total absense of conservative posters in gardens and windows has been very noticable. Even the local farmers who usually take the opportunity to put up loads on the fields bordering major roads don't seem to have bothered.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because they are less likely to travel abroad or drive, therefore not own a valid passport or drivers license?
True - but they ought to include other identification as well - student ID, young people's travel cards for instance.

And while they're at it, perhaps the government should legislate what is officially classed as acceptable photo ID, so that all the private organisasions that demand to see our passport or (photo) driving licence - banks, the post office, car dealers, car scrappers, PL football clubs, etc. - would have to accept all the officially acceptable forms too.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
True - but they ought to include other identification as well - student ID, young people's travel cards for instance.

And while they're at it, perhaps the government should legislate what is officially classed as acceptable photo ID, so that all the private organisasions that demand to see our passport or (photo) driving licence - banks, the post office, car dealers, car scrappers, PL football clubs, etc. - would have to accept all the officially acceptable forms too.
I absolutely agree.

I’m just not sure about people making anticipatory excuses if results don’t go their away. If the Tories get the expected trouncing, can they then come out and claim unfairness?

It just doesn’t sit well with me.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What, like when you collect a parcel from the Post Office - or an Albion ticket at an away game?
At the post office they'd be happy with a glance at your debit card (in my experience they often don't bother). The voter ID is very specific and in some cases is invalid for certain groups....

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Like it does in Northern Ireland?

Oh.
Wasn't voting fraud rife in NI before the introduction of the voting act thing?

Which makes sense. Y'know, introducing a method to tackle an existing problem.

The electoral commission here continually finds little evidence of wide scale voting fraud. I just had a quick read through their pages for the last few years and a large proportion of the fraud cases that were investigated were campaigning frauds, not fraud carried out at the polling booth.

I just don't see the need :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports