Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'm struggling to see past this being the latest chimera of a government conspiracy that anti-Conservatives cream themselves over.

I saw on Twitter people arguing that it was deliberately weighted in favour of the elderly, who tend to vote Conservative, because of the number of acceptable forms of ID they can have in contrast to your average 18 year old.

I'm sorry, what 18 year old do you know that doesn't have either a provisional/full drivers license or a passport? This means that they're also frozen out of buying alcohol, travelling abroad and even going to an away Albion match.

And for those saying it freezes out the elderly - NSC literally had a thread a couple of weeks ago where somebody uttering concerns about digital Brighton tickets being ageist was shouted down with "a smart phone only costs £40-50, get with the times." If they can be expected to sort out a smart phone, why not one of the many forms of ID the government has brought in?

What is more ludicrous is up until now I could have taken my Uncle's voting card with whom I live if he hadn't planned to vote and gone and voted under his name, with the only check being the first line of our address.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Just 2 weeks to go till the registration deadline for voter ID.

Very little publicity, shameful
its good because Labour voters are less likely to crawl out and vote and that keeps the Conservative government in power its not ideal doing it this way but Labour in power is unthinkable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It did tell me on my polling slip to be fair. Once I had worked out how to 'open' it that is.
the envelope had "you need ID to vote" over 50% of it, the voting card (now paper) has it across the top and entire back has all the ID valid along with how to get ID.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's garbage and has been introduced to hopefully reduce the anti-tory vote. Pathetic vote rigging. Our elections have been and continue to be safe and secure, something to be proud of in this country for a change.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm sorry, what 18 year old do you know that doesn't have either a provisional/full drivers license or a passport? This means that they're also frozen out of buying alcohol, travelling abroad and even going to an away Albion match.
I had none of those things when I was 18. At 38 I still do not have a provisional or full drivers license.

Some people won't have passports because they cannot afford holidays abroad and thus have no need to spunk £80 on a passport that will go unused in a drawer.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I had none of those things when I was 18. At 38 I still do not have a provisional or full drivers license.

Some people won't have passports because they cannot afford holidays abroad and thus have no need to spunk £80 on a passport that will go unused in a drawer.
when the legislation was first proposed, consultation phase said the elderly wouldn't have cars anymore or travel, so they included bus passes. then others said the young cant afford to drive or holiday yet, so they included PASS cards. if the plan was to stop people voting, they've done a lot to ensure everyone is covered. the plan is to ensure everyone has photo ID.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
when the legislation was first proposed, consultation phase said the elderly wouldn't have cars anymore or travel, so they included bus passes. then others said the young cant afford to drive or holiday yet, so they included PASS cards. if the plan was to stop people voting, they've done a lot to ensure everyone is covered. the plan is to ensure everyone has photo ID.
I agree.

I was mostly pointing out to Shooting Star that not every young person will have a license or a passport.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
its good because Labour voters are less likely to crawl out and vote and that keeps the Conservative government in power its not ideal doing it this way but Labour in power is unthinkable.
At least you are open about it, you're clearly against democracy. The problem is the next undemocratic act may not be to your liking

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm struggling to see past this being the latest chimera of a government conspiracy that anti-Conservatives cream themselves over.

I saw on Twitter people arguing that it was deliberately weighted in favour of the elderly, who tend to vote Conservative, because of the number of acceptable forms of ID they can have in contrast to your average 18 year old.

The sort of 18-25 year old that doesn't earn enough money to learn to drive, never mind run a car, or go on foreign holidays. Also the sort of voter that would vote for a party that isn't the Conservatives.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
The sort of 18-25 year old that doesn't earn enough money to learn to drive, never mind run a car, or go on foreign holidays. Also the sort of voter that would vote for a party that isn't the Conservatives.
And wouldn't have a provisional license or passport for ID to purchase alcohol?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here