[Politics] Voter Identification.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
However, if it is a plan by Tory’s to disenfranchise opposition voters, it could go terribly wrong for the government…..

“That includes 62% of 2019 Conservative voters, compared to 46% of 2019 Labour voters – suggesting that the move from the Conservatives, branded ‘voter suppression’ by democracy groups, could backfire on the party”.
This is interesting and something that came up in discussion with some mates the other day. We were speculating that people in the older demographic, which votes heavily Tory, are less likely to drive and have a passport than your average 18-70 year old. Also, the Conservative these days seem to now be targeting working-class voters, who are also less likely to have ID. Could backfire massively.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The reason everything seemed amazing 50 years ago was because you were 50 years younger.

I wasn’t there, but from what I’ve been told, early-70s U.K. was actually a bit shit.
Whoever told you that was lying. I was there and the early 70's was VERY shit :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Twaddle. The Tories are devious, well versed in the dark arts of politicking and are up to all sorts - but they've stopped millions of us form voting? Cobblers! Strangely, millions of us haven't noticed and will turn up and vote (for whatever party we choose) as usual.
There are few so blind as those who will not see.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So, when and how are they going to stop me voting then? I'm all agog ..............................
I can’t answer for you specifically because I have no idea what photo ID you do or don’t have. But there are plenty out there without any who will now be barred from exercising their (formerly held) democratic rights.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can’t answer for you specifically because I have no idea what photo ID you do or don’t have. But there are plenty out there without any who will now be barred from exercising their (formerly held) democratic rights.
Unlike organisations (like some football clubs) who demand ID just to buy things, or use tickets they have purchased, the list of acceptable ID for voting in elections is far, far more comprehensive. The numbers excluded through lack of ID will be minimal - and even they can apply for a free certificate.

There's none so blind as don't look at the small print, eh.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is interesting and something that came up in discussion with some mates the other day. We were speculating that people in the older demographic, which votes heavily Tory, are less likely to drive and have a passport than your average 18-70 year old. Also, the Conservative these days seem to now be targeting working-class voters, who are also less likely to have ID. Could backfire massively.
Bus pass. No problem for oldies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Unlike organisations (like some football clubs) who demand ID just to buy things, or use tickets they have purchased, the list of acceptable ID for voting in elections is far, far more comprehensive. The numbers excluded through lack of ID will be minimal - and even they can apply for a free certificate.

There's none so blind as don't look at the small print, eh.
Your determination to defend the indefensible when it’s done by the present government is as steadfast as ever, however even a single exclusion is unacceptable and if you can’t see that then I’m afraid there is no hope.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Twaddle. The Tories are devious, well versed in the dark arts of politicking and are up to all sorts - but they've stopped millions of us form voting? Cobblers! Strangely, millions of us haven't noticed and will turn up and vote (for whatever party we choose) as usual.
If millions haven't noticed - then when they turn up, they won't be able to vote. Because they won't have rootled around to find their passports or whatever to take with them - because they've never had to do so before.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
If it puts off labour and green voters im all for it need to keep a conservative government going

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
As GT49er says. The majority of people have some photo ID. If not you can apply for a confirmation certificate. So really what is all the bleating about?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If millions haven't noticed - then when they turn up, they won't be able to vote. Because they won't have rootled around to find their passports or whatever to take with them - because they've never had to do so before.
Yes, that may happen once - but I imagine it will be publicised before the time comes for any voting - and as people with no ID can apply for a free certificate I'm not sure anybody need be excluded, long term anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Your determination to defend the indefensible when it’s done by the present government is as steadfast as ever, however even a single exclusion is unacceptable and if you can’t see that then I’m afraid there is no hope.
It is quite a leap of incredulity to assume that someone is a defender of a Government run by a party they describe as 'devious, well versed in the dark arts of politicking and are up to all sorts'. Some declaration of support, that! Oh well .....................

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
As I posted earlier, the Tory’s have rather rushed this through and aren’t informing people they need ID.

There’s ways of doing this to ensure nobody loses their vote.

And there’s ways of doing this to ensure some people lose their vote.

There is a massive media campaign all over social media. You can’t miss the adverts about it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There is a massive media campaign all over social media. You can’t miss the adverts about it.
I don’t do social media, I can honestly say I have not seen one thing about it. And I consider myself fairly switched on. I won’t be the only one that’s missed this “massive media campaign”.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I will concede that most people will have at least one form of photo ID?

I can think of three or four photo ID’s within arms reach of me right now.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
The key to that is most people. Those that don't are more likely to be a certain demographic i.e. not well off, which is the problem.

Also, I'm aware this is happening but I've not seen one of these ads that I apparently can't miss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports