Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It will quite clearly prevent poorer people from voting, therefore, it's anti democratic.

The only photo ID I own is my passport, and there are plenty out there who haven't got one of those so are simply excluded.

Solution to a non existent problem.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I read somewhere there are more tories in this parliament who have been convicted of sex offences than people convicted of voting fraud.

The cost to implement and police this system is about 12mil per year, averaging 4mil per conviction. Money well spent?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Twaddle. The Tories are devious, well versed in the dark arts of politicking and are up to all sorts - but they've stopped millions of us form voting? Cobblers! Strangely, millions of us haven't noticed and will turn up and vote (for whatever party we choose) as usual.
Why do you think Tories are implementing this solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, then?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“Just a third of voters are aware that they will have to bring photo ID in order to vote in the May local elections – with less than 100 days to go until people must apply for the Government’s free form of ID, according to an exclusive new poll for Byline Times.

From this May, every voter in England will have to show polling station staff one of around a dozen forms of ID or be refused the right to vote. Nearly two million people in the UK lack appropriate photo ID and could have to apply for a new government-approved identification card.

But a new Omnisis poll for Byline Times reveals that 60% of voters do not know they will be unable to vote in England’s May 4 elections if they don’t have a ‘valid’ form of photo ID”.

However, if it is a plan by Tory’s to disenfranchise opposition voters, it could go terribly wrong for the government…..

“That includes 62% of 2019 Conservative voters, compared to 46% of 2019 Labour voters – suggesting that the move from the Conservatives, branded ‘voter suppression’ by democracy groups, could backfire on the party”.

And could they be deliberately trying to keep people in the dark? It seems so ….

“Most of East Anglia, the South East, and large tracts of the East and West Midlands face council elections this May. Yet 71% of voters surveyed in the South East, 87% in East Anglia, 86% in East Midlands, and 82% in the West Midlands say they have received no communications from their local council about the new ID requirements.

That drops to 52% in London where there are no elections this May, but where City Hall has led a communications campaign to inform people of the new ID law.

The polling comes after Byline Times reported that the Government has provided no ring-fenced money for councils to inform people that they will only be able to vote in May’s local elections if they have photo ID.

According to the Government, £4.75 million of funding has been provided to local authorities to support “additional engagement” with voters over the change. But it has not specified a dedicated amount to be spent solely on informing the electorate about the new ID requirements”.

Source; https://bylinetimes.com/2023/01/16/...-in-dark-over-voter-id-change-new-poll-shows/

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
uk is f***ed , sad state of affairs , what a totally f***ed up situation , thousands of aggressive immigrants flooding in by the month , you will soon be drowning in your own apathy , depresses me no end....the place of my birth , that less than 50 yrs ago was a brilliant place to be raised and educated ....prrrrfffffttt , just look at the ****s running the place , it's f***ed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
uk is f***ed , sad state of affairs , what a totally f***ed up situation , thousands of aggressive immigrants flooding in by the month , you will soon be drowning in your own apathy , depresses me no end....the place of my birth , that less than 50 yrs ago was a brilliant place to be raised and educated ....prrrrfffffttt , just look at the ****s running the place , it's f***ed.
Apathy? Hardly.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
yes mate ...wholesale apathy for the last 30 years , it's actually criminal what has been allowed to happen to the UK , swamped , dragged down and just about finished whilst ****s like Tony Blair have moved along to the WEF and WHO..... fucker needs stringing up.
I don't know about apathy. I'm pretty furious at the last twenty years of government f**kery.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
yes mate ...wholesale apathy for the last 30 years , it's actually criminal what has been allowed to happen to the UK , swamped , dragged down and just about finished whilst ****s like Tony Blair have moved along to the WEF and WHO..... fucker needs stringing up.
Apathetic would not describe my feelings.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
They got the idea of the US Republicans

But not really:

Of 47 nations surveyed in Europe—a place where, on other matters, American progressives often look to with envy, all but one country requires a government-issued photo voter ID to vote. The exception is the U.K.

For example, in Finland, the most progressive country in Europe (along with Sweden) , you need ID to vote.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But not really:

Of 47 nations surveyed in Europe—a place where, on other matters, American progressives often look to with envy, all but one country requires a government-issued photo voter ID to vote. The exception is the U.K.

For example, in Finland, the most progressive country in Europe (along with Sweden) , you need ID to vote.
As I posted earlier, the Tory’s have rather rushed this through and aren’t informing people they need ID.

There’s ways of doing this to ensure nobody loses their vote.

And there’s ways of doing this to ensure some people lose their vote.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I don’t think so..who doesn’t have ID?
If a polling card is sent to your address you clearly have ID. I have several forms of ID, My passport,my driving licence,my rail pass and my staff pass. How many people don’t have ID?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mostly just people clambering off rubber boats after a jolly cruise from northern France.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
As I posted earlier, the Tory’s have rather rushed this through and aren’t informing people they need ID.

There’s ways of doing this to ensure nobody loses their vote.

And there’s ways of doing this to ensure some people lose their vote.
I have seen articles on this topic, quite a few list the accepted forms of ID, together with steps to take if you currentluy don't meet the requirements.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The reason everything seemed amazing 50 years ago was because you were 50 years younger.

I wasn’t there, but from what I’ve been told, early-70s U.K. was actually a bit shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here