Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Volcanic eruption on White Island

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It still amazes me the number of people who'll go and stand next to Yellowstone.

Next to? I think you mean "in" Yellowstone.

If / when it does go up, probably the best place to be. Much of the USA would be smothered.

Edit: you realise Yellowstone is a huge caldera, not just the pretty pool in your picture?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
“Is it safe

Is it safe” ?
“Is what safe” ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, but that wasn't my point.

My point is that the articles states that even SINCE the tragedy, some have been arguing that it was safe.

Hindsight surely shows it wasn't safe.

So, should we ban people from going there, or allow them to assess the risk for themselves?

Yes, people involved in the emergency services may also be taking risks in any rescue efforts, but they also had a choice before signing up.

I am not suggesting that emergency personal should be put in harms way intentionally, but we really should be allowed to live our lives as we choose if causes no direct harm to others.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, should we ban people from going there, or allow them to assess the risk for themselves?

Yes, people involved in the emergency services may also be taking risks in any rescue efforts, but they also had a choice before signing up.

I am not suggesting that emergency personal should be put in harms way intentionally, but we really should be allowed to live our lives as we choose if causes no direct harm to others.

I'm very much a "live for today" kinda chap, and happy to take risks with many things.

However, I do wonder how aware of the risks those going actually were.

"Is there any chance it could go off?"
"It's not gone up since 20XX - what are the chances of it happening today?"
"Good point. But if it did go off, what will happen?"
"We'll try to get you off if we can, but there's a chance you could die or suffer horrendous life-changing burns."
"Like you say - what are the chances? Let's do it!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here