Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vitalijs Maksimenko

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Glad we sorted that out then. You best give Gus a ring and tell him that he's made a mistake......
Naaaah,... I will let you, you seem to have the inside track on most things,... in your own mind at least.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He goes to the left,
He goes to the right,
That Maksimenko
Makes Palace look shite.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
oh...that's a shame....do we still have Bergkamp? I know we he went back to Holland but cant remember if it was loan or sold...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
What a waste of a thread. If he's been signed for the DS he can't be much good.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
oh...that's a shame....do we still have Bergkamp? I know we he went back to Holland but cant remember if it was loan or sold...

On loan at VVV-Venlo - not really done anything there. Wikipedia lists him as having played five games with no goals

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surprised there's no comment on the NO VICENTE tweet from Naylor. Expected I suppose. Oh well, glad to hear Bucka could be fit.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
What a waste of a thread. If he's been signed for the DS he can't be much good.

What a load of old tosh. Like Bergkamp he hasn't played in England yet and, being young still, he may need time to adjust to the English game. Why would we sign someone without potential who 'isn't much good'? The fact that it didn't work out for Bergkamp is hardly reason to scrap the whole concept and sign rubbish for the sake of it is it? Or do we now have to get everything 100% right before we can take a gamble on anyone?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
What a load of old tosh. Like Bergkamp he hasn't played in England yet and, being young still, he may need time to adjust to the English game. Why would we sign someone without potential who 'isn't much good'? The fact that it didn't work out for Bergkamp is hardly reason to scrap the whole concept and sign rubbish for the sake of it is it? Or do we now have to get everything 100% right before we can take a gamble on anyone?

Fair point but I remain very sceptical about the benefit of our DS. When we did we last see a decent player make a permanent transition from the DS to the first team? That said, good luck to Maksimenko if the signing happens.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Fair point but I remain very sceptical about the benefit of our DS. When we did we last see a decent player make the transition from the DS to the first team?

JFC partially. He went out on loan to give him more experience of regular first team football. Toby has also made several appearances. At their age, and with our squad, they were always unlikely to cement a regular place so early in their careers. People have had their perceptions scewed by the Bergkamp failure, which was probably more about attitude and commitment than talent. The DS is still a relatively new concept, patience people.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
JFC partially. He went out on loan to give him more experience of regular first team football. Toby has also made several appearances. At their age, and with our squad, they were always unlikely to cement a regular place so early in their careers. People have had their perceptions screwed by the Bergkamp failure, which was probably more about attitude and commitment than talent. The DS is still a relatively new concept, patience people.

And that's my point - players permanently graduating from the DS to our first team are sadly few and far between.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Like many on here I would love to see someone from the DS really break into the 1st team squad but for some reason it hasn't really happened. Especially now we are back to the full allocation of subs this season. It was good to see Solly March on the bench at Portman Road. I recall the optimism about Adgestein around the time of the Wrexham replay last season and with our recent lack of goals wondered if he might get a run out, but still waiting.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
And that's my point - players permanently graduating from the DS to our first team are few and far between.

If we are in the same situation in another 2 or 3 season's time I'll agree we have a problem. Far too early to expect permanent transistions.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Over time as the youth academy is built and the standard of coaching and facilities improves so will our youth prospects. Hopefully.

I really hope that in a few years time we start seeing youngsters coming through who are capable of stepping up to the first team

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Over time as the youth academy is built and the standard of coaching and facilities improves so will our youth prospects. Hopefully.

I really hope that in a few years time we start seeing youngsters coming through who are capable of stepping up to the first team

Agreed. Hopefully JFC will make that transition soon and Solly March looks talented enough to do so.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's bloody shocking isn't it. I mean the DS has been going for TWO WHOLE SEASONS and yet it hasn't produced a CHAMPIONSHIP STARLET capable of relegating Bruno, or Bridge, or Buckley, or Bridcutt, or Greer, or CMS (or any other member of the best Brighton side in THIRTY YEARS) to the bench.

I mean WHAT IS THE POINT of signing promising young players if we have NO INTENTION of playing them before they are ready to take on FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL at CHAMPIONSHIP STANDARD.

Jesus NSC, I ask you..

Oh and while I'm ranting at some of the retards that frequent this forum - Do yourselves a favour and look up the difference between a DEVELOPMENT squad, a RESERVE team and a YOUTH squad. SAKE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here