Vista Service Pack 2

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've just applied this to my main PC and have to say it has improved performance for some reason.

Mind you I hope that Windows Seven (due later this year) does not prove to be as big a dog's breakfast as Vista !

Oh yes, I am about to build an Ubuntu PC. I have a strong feeling it will outperform my Vista PC even though it'll have nothing like the same amount of power.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Will never crash though.

We'll see won't we ? However if Windows Seven is not a vast improvement I can see quite a few people looking at Linux operating systems.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
Well if it does it would be probably down to hardware problems, had my rig going for a year w/o any problems. My other rig only froze up that was down to a dodgy stick of ram. Linux is the only way to go depending on your computer needs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Windows 7 is just what Vista should have been in the first place. Vista SP2 has made my pc more stable and reliable.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
From what I'v herd it's going to cost vista users about £20 to upgrade. Not to bad I guess but for PR I think they should make it free to anyone whos got vista. The fee should be just there for people that are coming form XP.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
From what I'v herd it's going to cost vista users about £20 to upgrade. Not to bad I guess but for PR I think they should make it free to anyone whos got vista. The fee should be just there for people that are coming form XP.

Microsoft never miss a trick to make even more money. What they should come to terms with is that Linux users are increasing daily due to the amount of dissatisfaction with Microsoft.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
It's not out yet till end of the year I think. They have had it in beta stages for a while now, from reports it's already "pissing" over vista.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's not out yet till end of the year I think. They have had it in beta stages for a while now, from reports it's already "pissing" over vista.

Yeah I know.. .I meant the Vista SP2 bit of that comment above..

I'm a mac user, but I'm still really looking forward to Windows 7. Microsoft have proved with things like Xbox, Zune and Surface that they can make really good software.. so hopefully Windows 7 will be the boost that they need.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not to piss on your bonfire.... but hasn't it only just come out??
If so, that's a bit of a premature statement..

I downloaded it a week ago , a week is a long time on this pc especially when R M Taylor nearly hammers it to death every night. :laugh:

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.

I'm a mac user, but I'm still really looking forward to Windows 7. Microsoft have proved with things like Xbox, Zune and Surface that they can make really good software.. so hopefully Windows 7 will be the boost that they need.

Ahh OK got ya, they need that boost right now for sure. My mums just got herself a new laptop and is going to be in for a shock once she turns it on and trys to get her head around it. This is someone who still uses W98 :bowdown:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The netbooks have helped a lot with that :thumbsup:

My netbook came with XP, which is just fine, it runs my Office and drawing programs totally fine for what I need. You can whip it out on the train and not take over the whole table, unlike a laptop. Waiting for W7 as I understand it will be especially good on Netbooks, I believe it has a dedicated Netbook setting.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Oh yes, I am about to build an Ubuntu PC. I have a strong feeling it will outperform my Vista PC even though it'll have nothing like the same amount of power.

All well and good, but out perform it at what? Loading up firefox? Image processing in GiMP? Running Apache?

Linux is all well and good if you have a specific use for it, and the applications you use have been ported to it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
All well and good, but out perform it at what? Loading up firefox? Image processing in GiMP? Running Apache?

Linux is all well and good if you have a specific use for it, and the applications you use have been ported to it.

My main requirement is a web surfing box, I have heard a lot of good things about it and I need to find out for myself.

DataCabbitKSW

Jun 12, 2009
Yeah, the official release date for Windows 7 is October 22nd of this year. There is a Release Candidate that Microsoft has put out there and they give out free licenses and downloads for. You can get it at:
Windows 7 Release Candidate

It will work through June of next year, but has a timeout of March of next year. However that is plenty of time to see if you like it or not. The original beta for Windows 7 is timing out July 1st (next month), so if anybody is using it, switch out to the RC. I've personally been dual-booting Windows 7 on my development box along with Ubuntu (so, yes they can coexist pretty well). If you don't feel like repartitioning, you can even install a .VHD file to a drive readable by the bootloader and boot directly from the .VHD file. Honestly I like it a good bit and I will definitely be upgrading when the time comes.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Give it a go and see what you think. Download the release candidate in the post above and install some hosted vitualisation software like VMware Workstation, VMware Server or Virtual PC. You can install it on your existing OS and try it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports