Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

visit to Ireland.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So why bother coming back three times a year

Loads of the wife's side of the family are there. The weather always seems to be the same in Ireland- grey with a bit if drizzle. It doesn't even seem to get properly cold, just miserable drizzly greyness, regardless of whether it's the middle of Summer or the middle of Winter. It's no wonder they're a nation of alcoholics.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
for Tralee I recommend the Meadowlands Hotel. Stayed there many times, excellent place.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Hi mate, I did touring last year, flew in and out of Dublin and drove down to cork and drove round to Galway and across.

The ring of Kerry is very beautiful and you can find near deserted sandy beaches in cork.

B+B's are everywhere and you can pick up a book at the airport. You only need to book in advance in school holidays.

We stayed a few nights in a fantastic one which doubled as a fishing lodge. It had a pool table, darts, beer fridge, etc. would be a good base to do a few things.

I'll check it out and see how close it is to the greyhound place and let you know if it's suitable, but there must be others similar.

The motorways are hardly used so you can get up and down easily these days.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Dublin's absolutely blinding! Only went once in December 2010 for Shamrock v Spurs, but thought it was a good trip. I don't think that it's as expensive as what people make out either. It's around £5 a pint in the Temple Bar area, which is around the same as what you'd pay in somewhere like Camden etc. Decent pubs, clubs & I probably had the best kebab I've ever had over there. :cheers:
[MENTION=509]MYOB[/MENTION], I'm sure you can vouch for the fact the area round Shamrock's ground is a total, utter dump. What's it called again?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do what you can to avoid the city of LIMERICK. It truly is a desperate place*

*If you are visiting both Galway and Cork, you may find avoiding it altogether an impossibility.

Waterford and Kilkenny are both decent calls.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I would have a word with James Nesbitt.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
*If you are visiting both Galway and Cork, you may find avoiding it altogether an impossibility.

You can get the 20 minute ferry from Clare to Kerry ha ha, but Limerick has plenty of by passes now so need need to go through the centre anymore.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Hi mate, I did touring last year, flew in and out of Dublin and drove down to cork and drove round to Galway and across.

The ring of Kerry is very beautiful and you can find near deserted sandy beaches in cork.

B+B's are everywhere and you can pick up a book at the airport. You only need to book in advance in school holidays.

We stayed a few nights in a fantastic one which doubled as a fishing lodge. It had a pool table, darts, beer fridge, etc. would be a good base to do a few things.

I'll check it out and see how close it is to the greyhound place and let you know if it's suitable, but there must be others similar.

The motorways are hardly used so you can get up and down easily these days.

Thanks Mate be great if you could dig the details out for me, be good to have a base for a couple of days, I'm torn between flying direct to Cork or to go to Dublin, got to go to cork at some stage as I'm visiting friends and going to the dog track there.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Thanks Mate be great if you could dig the details out for me, be good to have a base for a couple of days, I'm torn between flying direct to Cork or to go to Dublin, got to go to cork at some stage as I'm visiting friends and going to the dog track there.

You could fly to one and fly out the other. We looked at that but the car hire companies do charge you to leave your car at a different pick up point. It only took us 2 hours on the motorway from Dublin to Cork, so it's not far. Think it was cheaper for us to go in and out of Dublin.

Here's the place we liked - Bed B - Carrigaholt - County Clare Tourism Website

Not sure if it's suitable for where you want to go, but the coast along there is incredible.

Like I said, there are plenty of places like this around.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
We've always stayed at the Blarney Castle Hotel when out for Cork dogs great craic loads of dog people drink in there. The food is magnificent even though the restaurant looks like a small cafe. Easy to get to Curraheen Park because the local cab firm is owned by a dog owner and always helps you out.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Pretty sure he means Tipperary Town as opposed to County Tipperary. He's right, it's a dump :)

I did Tipperary town is just a High ST the Bookies was the most interesting place .For a beer in Waterford try The Ballybricken district Billy The Bull is a legend in those parts

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
[MENTION=509]MYOB[/MENTION], I'm sure you can vouch for the fact the area round Shamrock's ground is a total, utter dump. What's it called again?

Tallaght. Its an outer suburb consisting mostly of council estates and high rises, and has trams. Most Albion fans can take a good guess at somewhere very similar. Pity that is actually the best permanent ground in the entire league - Limerick play in Thomond Park (26,500, brand new) but only temporarily.

Do what you can to avoid the city of LIMERICK. It truly is a desperate place*

Waterford and Kilkenny are both decent calls.

There's a tunnel under the river now, you can avoid seeing Limerick entirely - but they do charge for the privilege.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here