Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo & Harding

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not wanting to put a downer on the whole glory road to Cardiff, but I have to say I am more than a little concerned about some of out boys being up for the occasion.

It's not that the likes of Virgo and Harding haven't the ability it's just that they've never played in big matches. I think there is more than a chance one or both will sh*t themselves on the day - whether in the play off semis or the final. For youngsters, they've don a brilliant job but I wonder if the likes of Mayo and Watson should be considered.

Even Leon is a risk - although he has to play. He's already shown how easy it is to wind him up.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Harding's distribution on Saturday was terrible. He does occasionally appear to be the proverbial startled bunny in the headlights.

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
dont worry about danny, our back four is faultless on its day and those youngsters will be bang up for a play off semi and hopefully final. Why turn back, thay have to play a massive game sooner or later and if we go up they will be having cup finals every week.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Oscar said:
Not wanting to put a downer on the whole glory road to Cardiff, but I have to say I am more than a little concerned about some of out boys being up for the occasion.

It's not that the likes of Virgo and Harding haven't the ability it's just that they've never played in big matches. I think there is more than a chance one or both will sh*t themselves on the day - whether in the play off semis or the final. For youngsters, they've don a brilliant job but I wonder if the likes of Mayo and Watson should be considered.

Even Leon is a risk - although he has to play. He's already shown how easy it is to wind him up.

Well someone has to give them a chance at the big matches. They've more than earn't their chance to play on the big stage. Since McGhee has stuck with Harding, Butters, Cullip & Virgo we've had argueably the best defence in the league. We have a very potent strike force. It's the bit in the middle I worry about! Chippy and Oatway will be fine but Jones and Hart can both win or lose matches for us. Our hope rests on their shoulders. (no pressure)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
McGhee must stick with the players who have got us there.

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest Watson and / or Mayo should start.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'd have Mayo on the bench though. He can play centreback or fullback, and has much more experience than El Abd. I'm also a bit disappointed that Blackwell isn't ready yet (he was originally targetted for a return at the Senior Cup Final, yesterday). He could have been a good option on the bench too.

As McGhee said yesterday, he'll need a fit squad of about 17 players for the next few matches. So our chances in the playoffs will probably rest as much on the quality we have on the bench as on the pitch.

NSC Albion

Jan 4, 2004
Waterhall
Jim D said:
I'd have Mayo on the bench though. He can play centreback or fullback, and has much more experience than El Abd. I'm also a bit disappointed that Blackwell isn't ready yet (he was originally targetted for a return at the Senior Cup Final, yesterday). He could have been a good option on the bench too.

As McGhee said yesterday, he'll need a fit squad of about 17 players for the next few matches. So our chances in the playoffs will probably rest as much on the quality we have on the bench as on the pitch.

Nooooooo. Mayo isn't good at centre back, even as the left of three.

Mayo can't really do anything that Jones can't do. El-Abd can play centre back, full back or midfield. We have plenty of cover at centre back so I don't know if I would have Mayo in the 16.

I would take: Roberts, Kuipers; Virgo, Cullip, Butters, Harding, El-Abd; Hart, Reid, Carpenter, Jones, Piercy, Oatway; Knight, Iwelumo, McPhee, Robinson

Not sure which one I'd leave out though.

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
Do people who keep questioning our young full backs ever look at the defensive record since Virgo, Harding and El Abd took over?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
virgos distribution sucks usually,however he made 2 game saving tackles near the end on saturday

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Richie Morris said:
I think Virgo is more then up to it but I do worry a bit about Harding. Sometimes his passing it awful and he lacks physical strength.

exactley what i was thinking. although i think all young ones will be fine on the big day as they have no fear. just worry about harding's abilitity. i think he is better than mayo but still the weak part of our defence. weak part of team is midfield though.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why the sudden urge to play Watson and Mayo? Leave them in the reserves or on the bench where they belong. The youngsters may make mistakes but our defence has looked a lot better with Harding and Virgo in it than it ever did without them.

:nono:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
tadley gull said:
I'm more concerned about where the goals are going to come from.

Fair comment. They do seem to have dried up of late. I still think that we lack a decent winger; ideally, someone who can cross the ball accurately and quickly. It's a real shame that we didn't buy Hunt earlier in the season. He would have made a big difference to our prospects.

:nono:

Last edited:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I can't understand why any one would want mayo and watson back in the team,its taken us long enough 2 get 2 full backs that can defend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here