Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin TV

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Im looking at moving from Sky to Virgin,

I already have Broadband and phone......which means I have a feed to my house, BUT virgin want to charge £50 installation fees.

Anyone had any good discount from Virgin? if so where from?

Bloody Indian call centre said they cant offer discounts....also I have to repeat myself several time to get them to understand....

I already have Broadband and phone......which means I have a feed to my house, BUT virgin want to charge £50 installation fees.

Bloody Indian call centre said they cant offer discounts....also I have to repeat myself several time to get them to understand....

Usually only get discounts when you are already a customer i.e. upgrades which can be done remotely. I am with Virgin and often debate whether to go back to Sky (mainly because my wife complains about wanting to see series on Sky Atlantic we cannot access). I don't move because of the hassle and set up costs. Not sure which offers the best value for money.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If your phone and broadband are from Virgin, go to the 'thinking of leaving Virgin' option (nearly always an English call centre). Tell them you want a full service but because they are going to charge £50, the free install offer from Sky sounds like an offer too good to turn down. They usually arrange to waive the charge-worth a shot anyway and it's worked well for me over the years.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Having recently switched I'd pay the £50 ! Besides Sky deliver phone and BB down copper while Virgin do it down fibre so a new install will be required.

If you know someone who works for Virgin you can get mates rates which reduces the install and monthly costs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm with Virgin, the more you get with them, the more discount they can usually offer. Take up a phone line with unlimited calls for example, and a decent size TV package, and my offer got better. I'm actually thinking of getting a TiVo box now, they look excellent, well worth enquiring about.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm with Virgin, the more you get with them, the more discount they can usually offer. Take up a phone line with unlimited calls for example, and a decent size TV package, and my offer got better. I'm actually thinking of getting a TiVo box now, they look excellent, well worth enquiring about.

Tivo is the bees knees :thumbsup:

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
They do give discounts but you have to get past the first non Engish speaker first and that can take ages. Talk HD and go from there. The installation fee just a money grab. They don't do anything for it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

This. We had phone and broadband from BT and tv from Sky, but switched everything to Virgin about a year ago. Very happy we did.

manilaseagull

Having recently switched I'd pay the £50 ! Besides Sky deliver phone and BB down copper while Virgin do it down fibre so a new install will be required.

If you know someone who works for Virgin you can get mates rates which reduces the install and monthly costs.

My BB and phone is virgin so the fibre line is already there...thats why I am objecting to £50 installation fee.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
A few years back I had a Tivo box which controlled my cable box by IR. The software in the box with its searching capabilities - even back then - was brilliant, and makes the current Sky EPG look pathetic. It was sad that Tivo never took off in the UK (it was overwhelmed by Sky boxes) as it was so good, but its resurgence with Virgin looks good.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Tivo is the bees knees :thumbsup:

I'm currently with SKY and pay £72 pm for multi-room SkyPlus (2 boxes), which includes Sky Movies and Sport.

Tivo seems as good as SkyPlus if not better, and definitely cheaper, but my Mrs is grizzling about losing the movies.

What movie packages are included with Tivo ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This. We had phone and broadband from BT and tv from Sky, but switched everything to Virgin about a year ago. Very happy we did.

I work from home, and the broadband (and I only have the S package) is excellent and consistent. In 5 years it's rarely been down, and quite happily watch live streaming okay, plus it regularly performs large backups etc.

manilaseagull

another thing that hacks me off is the way they mix the channels.....I have no kids anymore so I dont need cartoons and Nickelodeon etc.. BUT to watch Discovery and Nat Geo etc you must have all the cartoon crap....it only comes in the largest ( most expensive ) TV package.

At the moment Virgin is £29 p/m more expensive than sky...just cant get them to shift on prices....offers are only for new customers...as I have phone and BB im not a new customer.....

What a load of crap.....

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

give them another ring, person i spoke to was uk based. Ive got 4 boxes, 1 hd, 20mb broadband & landline all for £98 per month including films, sport etc.

Jul 7, 2003
swindon, wilts

Am having Tivo fitted shortly. I have a full package from Virgin, TV, Broadband, home phone and mobile phone. Very good value. If you go in the Virgin Media shop in Swindon they may be able to offer you certain deals.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Got Tivo in the front and back room a month or so ago, from Sky. Very pleased so far. and Tivo is only supported from UK call centre so no Indians.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here