Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Virgin Atlantic to cut 3,000 jobs and quit Gatwick

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nice to see this thread derailed in true NSC style.

For all those who seem to be celebrating the demise of Virgin Atlantic and Gatwick Airport, how about giving a thought for all those who have been told they will lose their jobs today. Then think about all the businesses that rely on VA and Gatwick who are also likely to lose their jobs.

This isn't just a Crawley thing either, many people commute to Gatwick for work and many of the supporting businesses are based around Sussex.

Also, some companies choose to be based within a certain radius of Gatwick to enable them access the airline network. If that is no longer an option, they may choose to move away from Sussex which then has further impact on our economy.

Yep knock on to surrounding areas / businesses. I’ve got family at L3 who were expecting significant redundancies before this. Covid could kill them off completely

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I have nothing against people having children. It is their choice.

I merely pointed out that it is the least green thing to do.

If people want to propose moronic ideas about carbon allowances etc, then lets look at what causes the most harm.

Then they get triggered, defensive and they fail to acknowledge that they are the causing the biggest carbon issues

listen sausage , you're getting way above yourself here , do you honestly think the UK is a major contributor to global warming...?? 67 million people on a little island in the northern hemisphere.....it is a widely known fact , outside sussex , that China is by far the biggest culprit contributing 30% of the total , USA 15% , india 9 % .........the entire EU 9% so your contribution is minuscule .......Childbirth well , you may be surprised I believe surprisingly it is the 3rd world who are pumping out the sprogs .....Africa is way above the average and Afghanistan and Iraq are right up there too niger and somalia head the charts with over 6 children ....on average per family......it's ok , you can chill out , it's not your fault.

Most recent numbers state that "the Arab world" is having over 3 kids whilst the EU is less than 2.The average for Africa is over 4

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The biggest carbon issues are adults not children.

Adults drive cars.
Adults decide to fly.
Adults change their mobile phones every two years.
Adults turn up the heating a few degrees.
Adults chop down forests.
Adults have bonfires.
Adults build on greenfield sites.
Adults drill for oil.
Adults produce chemicals.

None of these activities are carried out by children. Yet your answer is to punish people that have children not people that carry out these activities.

You’re missing [MENTION=24521]worthingseagull123[/MENTION]‘s point. He was challenging your choice and points based carbon allowance system, which incidentally I agree with although I’d add an aviation fat tax as well. Having a child contributes, on average, 58 tonnes per year of co2. By not having a child you will remove all of those things you’ve listed plus a hell of a lot more. He’s not suggesting everyone stops having children. More that we all make choices in life and under your scheme there’s a choice to be made with having a child and forfeiting 60 tonnes of your allowance every year or not having a child and using the 60 tonnes on something else.

I’m not necessarily saying I agree with this but I can see his point...... and it gets me out of a hole as I fly a lot but don’t have children :wink:

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

For all those who seem to be celebrating the demise of Virgin Atlantic and Gatwick Airport, how about giving a thought for all those who have been told they will lose their jobs today. Then think about all the businesses that rely on VA and Gatwick who are also likely to lose their jobs.

This isn't just a Crawley thing either, many people commute to Gatwick for work and many of the supporting businesses are based around Sussex.

Also, some companies choose to be based within a certain radius of Gatwick to enable them access the airline network. If that is no longer an option, they may choose to move away from Sussex which then has further impact on our economy.

As the “**** Branson” retards didn’t realise, this isn’t about him at all - it won’t be him that suffers it’s Sussex/Surrey area that does.

You can’t dislike the man (I’m not a fan) but to want one of his businesses to fail is just simple.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
listen sausage , you're getting way above yourself here , do you honestly think the UK is a major contributor to global warming...?? 67 million people on a little island in the northern hemisphere.....it is a widely known fact , outside sussex , that China is by far the biggest culprit contributing 30% of the total , USA 15% , india 9 % .........the entire EU 9% so your contribution is minuscule .......Childbirth well , you may be surprised I believe surprisingly it is the 3rd world who are pumping out the sprogs .....Africa is way above the average and Afghanistan and Iraq are right up there too niger and somalia head the charts with over 6 children ....on average per family......it's ok , you can chill out , it's not your fault.

Most recent numbers state that "the Arab world" is having over 3 kids whilst the EU is less than 2.The average for Africa is over 4

Stunning whataboutery.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

As the “**** Branson” retards didn’t realise, this isn’t about him at all - it won’t be him that suffers it’s Sussex/Surrey area that does.

You can’t dislike the man (I’m not a fan) but to want one of his businesses to fail is just simple.

Agreed. Just bizarre to see people revel in something that is going to make life difficult for so many people in our local area.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes, this will undoubtedly have an effect of the wider Sussex and Surrey areas and particularly suppliers to Gatwick.

My hope is that companies who chose to be nearer Gatwick for travel won't move as I can see most corporate travel being banned for a number of years. In any case local geography and route arrangements can all play a part. As an example I used to work for a software company based in Crawley so that the staff were close to Gatwick for sales and site trips. But I regularly travelled to Poland (from Heathrow) and India (from Heathrow). These days I work for a company based near Heathrow for the same reason but I travelled to Edinburgh from my home and so used Gatwick.

I would expect 70 - 80% of those trips to be replaced by VC in the future which will not help the airlines or their direct contractors but may prevent companies thinking about expensive relocation when cashflow is short.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

True. I struggle to see why many hate him so much. Plus his airline is very customer focused and offers an excellent service from my experiences.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

In fairness, it is possible to dislike the odious tax dodging government support seeking nobber and feel enormous sympathy for those who are suffering which, ironically, probably doesn't include Branson himself.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Assuming that this goes the way of other pandemics, we should be out the other side within 12/18 months, if not sooner. Once out the other side people will want to put it behind them as quickly as possible and I think holidays will be the way than people will do this. 60 million people holidaying in the UK isn’t going to work so heading abroad is the only option. Whether people start with weekends away or week away is another matter. I do think the stag and hen party weekends it Prague etc will become unfashionable.

Business travel however is pretty much toast. I travelled a great deal before COVID and tbh won’t be sad to see the back of it. With the exception of one six monthly meeting I can VC the rest.

Gatwick will not be the same again but it will not disappear. It will go back to being a holiday airport as it used to be.

In the short term it’s going to be very unpleasant and the local area will suffer, however it will recover.

It’s all well a good BA and Virgin saying that they will operate out of Heathrow but there is no way an extra runway will be built if there are slots available at Gatwick.

The cynic in me thinks this is a push for a government bailout ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
In fairness, it is possible to dislike the odious tax dodging government support seeking nobber and feel enormous sympathy for those who are suffering which, ironically, probably doesn't include Branson himself.

Whilst still pushing for the Airline not to get a loan because of dislike of the man?

Some sympathy....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Assuming that this goes the way of other pandemics, we should be out the other side within 12/18 months, if not sooner. Once out the other side people will want to put it behind them as quickly as possible and I think holidays will be the way than people will do this. 60 million people holidaying in the UK isn’t going to work so heading abroad is the only option. Whether people start with weekends away or week away is another matter. I do think the stag and hen party weekends it Prague etc will become unfashionable.

Business travel however is pretty much toast. I travelled a great deal before COVID and tbh won’t be sad to see the back of it. With the exception of one six monthly meeting I can VC the rest.

Gatwick will not be the same again but it will not disappear. It will go back to being a holiday airport as it used to be.

In the short term it’s going to be very unpleasant and the local area will suffer, however it will recover.

It’s all well a good BA and Virgin saying that they will operate out of Heathrow but there is no way an extra runway will be built if there are slots available at Gatwick.

100% trying to put pressure on the Government for a bail out, NB BA is only a threat at present

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Agreed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

And as for the other fellah who thinks the best thing for the planet would be the end of the human species, well, you first, mate. :mad: :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But if there are less planes / pilots - is the second runway even needed anymore?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stunning whataboutery.

Actually I agree with him. English people not breeding is going to have no impact on anything, other than the numbers of English people. That, and those who seem to want the human species to die off, have got a problem with perspective.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Yes indeed. I said this to some family when they were jumping on the bandwagon. If VA goes under it wont affect the pickle Baron one bit. But it WILL affect thousands of normal people who just want to earn a living.

However, I'm not sure that a bailout will work anyway. The airline industry is going to change beyond recognition after this. The arabs and Chinese will probably hoover up the market left by the companies that go bust. But they'll still need the airports, staff and infrastructure.

Doesn't help the people being laid off in the short term obviously.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Not pressure

Gov said go and cut costs and you will get loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here