Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgil van Dijk - move back on? (Not presently)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus
Figures quoted on the van Dijk deal are speculative but looks as if around £2.5 million could make it happen. #bhafc

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not sure the Ffp are a massive hindrance as if get promoted the fine is nothing compared to the riches anyway. Also interesting to note ffp won't apply to relegated teams to start with.

What with the new tv money and Ffp think bloom will go all out to get up there this year or next . After that the gap will get a lot wider .

Wouldn't be surprised if we went back in at 2.5 late doors thur

I was thinking more if we miss out on promotion this year. It's another position (hopefully) we don't need to recruit for next and gives us a bit more leeway in our spending

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus
Figures quoted on the van Dijk deal are speculative but looks as if around £2.5 million could make it happen. #bhafc

I so hope we get this sorted. Would proper sort us out for a big push from now to the end of the season. A big quality striker and a big quality CB is exactly what we need. One down, one to go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The fact is, we have no idea what Tony wants to do with his money, or how much of it he has. I was under the impression he wants the club to break even without input from him - but is that long term, after he's spent a bit to help us get promotion, or is it not true at all :shrug: I'm interested to see the figures that make up our £8m loss.

What I do know is that we've spent more than I expected us to, and we've got an excellent team.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Every top team (or should I say, successful team at their respective level) has a strong CORE.

Arsenals Invincibles had Lehman, Campbell, Vieira, Henry.

City had Hart, Kompany, Toure, Tevez

Chelsea had Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba.

Obviously these are ridiculously good examples, but the basis is there. A core of Kusczak (still cant spell it), Van Djik, Bridcutt, Ulloa is LOVELY.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If we get this guy in and he's as good as some are saying he is promotion if definitely a possibility. If we get promoted in the next 2 seasons I think signings like this could prove to be a shrewd bit of business.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Every top team (or should I say, successful team at their respective level) has a strong CORE.

Arsenals Invincibles had Lehman, Campbell, Vieira, Henry.

City had Hart, Kompany, Toure, Tevez

Chelsea had Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba.

Obviously these are ridiculously good examples, but the basis is there. A core of Kusczak (still cant spell it), Van Djik, Bridcutt, Ulloa is LOVELY.

This. Especially the bit about not being able to spell Kuszczak without the help of Google. SZCZ.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The fact is, we have no idea what Tony wants to do with his money, or how much of it he has. I was under the impression he wants the club to break even without input from him - but is that long term, after he's spent a bit to help us get promotion, or is it not true at all :shrug: I'm interested to see the figures that make up our £8m loss.

What I do know is that we've spent more than I expected us to, and we've got an excellent team.

There was something the other day ... I think I'm right in saying that no team in the Championship (exc parachutists perhaps) makes a profit without the benefit of a nice transfer out. Those that have been trying to get promoted, unsurprisingly seem to have the largest losses.

If TB wants us to get to the promised land he's most likely going to have to suffer losses in order to do it, at least all the time the rules allow him to do so.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we get this guy in and he's as good as some are saying he is promotion if definitely a possibility.
I don't think people are saying he's that good, they're saying he's got the potential to be very good.
If we get promoted in the next 2 seasons I think signings like this could prove to be a shrewd bit of business.
Indeed. Some we'll win, some we'll lose.
This. Especially the bit about not being able to spell Kuszczak without the help of Google. SZCZ.
Exactly, just remember it's Sz Cz.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Translated from their official site- "The club will definitely attract a central defender after Gordon Cheer last week in the cup match against Arsenal geblessseerd is hit."

Always enjoy any word with three consecutive 'S's!

As an aside you have to feel sympathy for the Groningen fans. Imaging this was Norwich vigorously pursuing Bridcutt. We'd be gutted.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There was something the other day ... I think I'm right in saying that no team in the Championship (exc parachutists perhaps) makes a profit without the benefit of a nice transfer out. Those that have been trying to get promoted, unsurprisingly seem to have the largest losses.
There's the odd one that gets up without spending a fortune, like Blackpool (I know they have parachute payments now, but they didn't when they got promoted). We also have more income than the other clubs, which helps.

If TB wants us to get to the promised land he's most likely going to have to suffer losses in order to do it, at least all the time the rules allow him to do so.
The new rules would help us relative to other championship teams, due to our income.

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I don't mind spending big money on players as long as they aren't old. If he lives up to the speculation you could even argue he's an investment and not an expense

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Translated from their official site- "The club will definitely attract a central defender after Gordon Cheer last week in the cup match against Arsenal geblessseerd is hit."

Always enjoy any word with three consecutive 'S's!

As an aside you have to feel sympathy for the Groningen fans. Imaging this was Norwich vigorously pursuing Bridcutt. We'd be gutted.

It sounds like they'll get a decent fee for him if it goes through. Am I right in thinking that the transfer window for Dutch clubs closes on the 31st too? If they're to use the funds to strengthen the team you'd think they'd want to get it done asap. Brinkmanship on their part is a risky strategy. Or perhaps they really don't want to sell.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
He is amazing on FIFA 13, he's been our best player since I got him in the Jan transfer window. Would love this to happen, he looks quala

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There's the odd one that gets up without spending a fortune, like Blackpool (I know they have parachute payments now, but they didn't when they got promoted). We also have more income than the other clubs, which helps.

The knew rules would help us relative to other championship teams, due to our income.

All true and Blackpool are a good example ... albeit they bucked the trend .. oops as did Swansea as post above, but they are in a pretty big minority

The new rules will level the playing field for the regular Championship teams but give an even bigger advantage to relegated sides ... plus their parachute payments are going to get even bigger with the new Prem deal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You haven't translated that yet, I still have no idea what it says.

As an aside you have to feel sympathy for the Groningen fans.
Er, nope. The only way to avoid this is to support some shitty rich club, and I prefer supporting a smaller club. We will have players taken from us. All clubs except the top 3 lose their players. Groningen fans, like us, know how it works and will be able to do something with the money they get (whoever buys him).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here