Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgil van Dijk - move back on? (Not presently)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Will still need international clearance from the Dutch FA but not a work permit. You need clearance from any association outside of the FA even if we bought a player from Barry Town, Celtic or Shamrock Rovers but not Cardiff or Swansea as they are affiliated to our FA.

Incorrect. Wales is still 'international'. The Ryan Harley transfer (and Dobbie and Orlandi for that matter) required international clearance.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Incorrect. Wales is still 'international'. The Ryan Harley transfer (and Dobbie and Orlandi for that matter) required international clearance.

I believe it is also down to the players nationality. Didn't we have to get international clearance for Crofts who we signed from Norwich (an FA affiliate) as he plays for Wales?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Virgil van Dijk still hopes for a departure at FC Groningen. Brighton & Hove Albion is interested in the defender, but Groningen still refuses to cooperate in a transition. Agent Henk-Maarten Chin emphasizes that Van Dijk will leave the northerners.

"Gustavo Poyet, the trainer of Brighton, is Sunday at NEC - FC Groningen come and was enthusiastic about Virgil. Hence second bid. Virgil will be quite disappointed if the transfer does not take place, "said Chin opposite the newspaper of the North.

"Virgil is free at FC Groningen received," says the representative. "I know the second bid of Brighton, but as FC Groningen three million euros for him could receive would be a very nice amount. And a real amount. I hope FC Groningen still what is forthcoming."

Lees verder: "Virgil zal teleurgesteld zijn als de transfer naar Brighton niet doorgaat" - SoccerNews.nl

Any chance he will put in a transfer request to move this along? Seems like we are now the only game in town.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks, so at worst we can go to the last minute trying to get Virgil if nobody else comes in for him and then only have to wait 7 days to replace Greer whilst he's out should we fail to negotiate a deal for Virgil.
So main window ends on Thursday, loan window opens on Thursday 7th, which won't give time to have someone playing that Saturday (unless we're very quick and they're uber good and can walk into the side), so we could get someone in for our game on the 16th. Greer will hopefully be back by then anyway.

Bit more encouraging this morning I think. Argus has direct quotes from his agent saying "All I know is Virgil is very enthusiastic about Brighton. He has been looking into the club. I am also enthusiastic about the way the management are doing things and the people at the club". Then goes on to say that is now down to the clubs.

Definitely a positive, having the player keen to come (If actually true) is half the battle won.
Like you say, if true and current, that's at least a good sign. It's still all to play for.

Why are you quoting Steve 'Brolly' McLaren?
You've missed spelled 'twat'.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The quote in the argus isn't any different from what was being said last week, the player would gladly come here but clearly it's not going to happen if we can't meet his clubs demands.

Also could we be accuse of 'tapping up'?

I read it a bit more positively like the player wants to come here plus the agent (sort of) confirming that Gronigen have got a price in mind. Although everyone has a price I was working on assumption that they just weren't going to sell, end of but the agent isn't suggesting that at all if he has been accurately quoted

I think there might be 2 imperatives here ... spend some of the money we might have available for next season before FFP limits us (wild guess) and also we have to shore up the defence now. Assuming Greer is out for Wednesday, Hull and Blackburn, if that then led to losses we can write off any hope of play offs

I think we might get him

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bizarre Transfer Speculation - Virgil van Dijk

I read it a bit more positively like the player wants to come here plus the agent (sort of) confirming that Gronigen have got a price in mind. Although everyone has a price I was working on assumption that they just weren't going to sell, end of but the agent isn't suggesting that at all if he has been accurately quoted

I think there might be 2 imperatives here ... spend some of the money we might have available for next season before FFP limits us (wild guess) and also we have to shore up the defence now. Assuming Greer is out for Wednesday, Hull and Blackburn, if that then led to losses we can write off any hope of play offs

I think we might get him

Not sure the Ffp are a massive hindrance as if get promoted the fine is nothing compared to the riches anyway. Also interesting to note ffp won't apply to relegated teams to start with.

What with the new tv money and Ffp think bloom will go all out to get up there this year or next . After that the gap will get a lot wider .

Wouldn't be surprised if we went back in at 2.5 late doors thur

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Also could we be accuse of 'tapping up'?

I suggest you read 'The Secret Footballer'.

He openly writes that basically every transfer involves 'tapping up'. Very rarely will a transfer happen where the generic ideal of "Club identifies player, club makes bid, other club accept bid, player meets buying club for the first time" actually happen.

The reality is:
1 - Club A are contacted by a random agent claiming to represent player from Club B. (This isn't necessarily the players agent, this could be an agent who will try and secure a clubs interest and then go to the player, promise him a move, and then be employed as the players new agent).

2 - Club A are interested in the possibility of signing this player ask the agent to confirm the players interest in joining them.

3 - Club A will make an attempt to negotiate a deal with Club B, with Club B already knowing that the player has basically agreed a deal to leave and has his head turned.

4 - In the mean time other agents will have heard of this deal and will be approaching the player with promises of other potential transfers and offers of more lucrative contracts.

So really. every transfer is tapped up.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
While I hope the VDV deal gets sorted asap I wonder if it might go quiet today from the Albion's perspective?

Groningen are shouting all over the media whereas we normally like to do our business more discretely, especially when we close in on a signing. OK it's old news that we are seriously interested in VDV but maybe make the Dutch sweat a while longer on whether we will come back with another offer? Wouldn't do any harm for us to be linked with other CBs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What with the new tv money and Ffp think bloom will go all out to get up there this year or next . After that the gap will get a lot wider .
While I don't disagree with your sentiment, it's a bit late for us to go all out this year. The play-offs are obviously achievable, but we're well behind the front two and we've only brought in Ulloa, whose passport eventually came through (we'd been after him for ages). If we add a defender now, I don't think that counts as going for it. And next year I imagine they'll be hoping our current team is good enough to go for it, so I'm not expecting much spending in the summer.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
While I hope the VDV deal gets sorted asap I wonder if it might go quiet today from the Albion's perspective?

Groningen are shouting all over the media whereas we normally like to do our business more discretely, especially when we close in on a signing. OK it's old news that we are seriously interested in VDV but maybe make the Dutch sweat a while longer on whether we will come back with another offer? Wouldn't do any harm for us to be linked with other CBs.

VVD, not VDV. Unless we're trying to sign Van Der Vaart and I didn't realise

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I asked Stefan Coerts, a Dutch football writer about VVD when the story first cropped up and he said: Can't see him leave Groningen for Brighton to be honest. Several bigger clubs in for him. Would be a fantastic signing, though.

He has just tweeted:
Virgil van Dijk's agent has stressed the defender wants to leave #Groningen for #Brighton. Feels FCG should accept offer in region of €3m.
Given Van Dijk's contract situation, his age, potential & Groningen's position in league table, I'd say a €4m bid could be needed. #Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here