Virgil van Dijk - move back on? (Not presently)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
So we upped our bid by 100 grand? Hardly twisting their arm are we.

Can only presume we were under the impression Groningon regreted turning our fisrt bid down when no Prem clubs came in like they thought.

According to this bit...

Including Sky Sports that the second bid of Brighton on message Virgil van Dijk £ 2.1 million (€ 2.45 million). According to previous news coverage of TEAM talk amounted to the first bid barely less: £ 2 million (€ 2.4 million). Perhaps the first bid is lower. Robert maaskant explained this last Friday during the press chat en., said he is not the exact height of the first bid.

...I would interpret that as meaning our first bid wasn't actually the £2m bid originally reported. It's hard as it's a half arsed translation to get the exact meaning but I interpret that as meaning our first bid wasn't actually as high as £2m, so maybe we've upped it by £250k-ish after all. £2.5m/€3m is going to be the magic figure isn't it? Unless they're genuinely playing the long game in the hope of avoiding relegation and flogging him for €4m in the summer?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Throw in a set of training kits, and a tank of petrol. Those were the days.....£2m is a lot of dosh for a player who has only played a few dozen games. Sure he could go onto be the next Lawrenson, but then he might not.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Everton just blew their transfer budget and all of Kenwright's free theatre tickets on a different Dutchman "The Bouncer"

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/ever...r-of-10m-euros-gallery-video-100252-32696723/

image-1-for-leroy-fey-set-to-sign-for-everton-fc-pics-pa-photos-gallery-456448189.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Someone nip up to the high court and have a word with Brendan Rodgers, about loaning us Jamie Carragher for the rest of the season.

But he can't move "literally". His knees are shot to peices.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Why pay more than you have to?

Quite, especially as we have allegedly already spent £2m in the last week and are still trying to keep a lid on our debts. I sense the shrewd hand of our poker playing Chairman at work here.

Groningen are trying to massively talk up the value of their man but Tony won't blink first. He certainly won't get ripped off either, he'll just walk away if the Dutch get too greedy.

Having gone so public about the offers we made they aren't being very subtle and maybe hoping the transfer deadline will trigger a bidding war for VDV.
I wonder if TB is happy to let clock countdown to the end of the transfer window in order to see if the Dutch blink first and will take a chance accepting the odds that a Prem club or another Championship club with parachute money might come in with a silly last minute offer and blow us out of the water.

I don't think TB would put our Prem aspirations at risk by doing nothing and I'm sure he knows that the sake of a £ million or two now, even more riches will follow if we go up. I still find it remarkable that we are even sitting at the poker table, let alone having a stack of chips and a decent hand to play with.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In future all transfer chat should be in a foreign language and then translated even if its an english player...its much more fun reading tht lot than just a statement released in english

Just run an English report into a foreign language then back to English. Here's one I made earlier (to japanese then back to english).

By bringing former captain Dean Hammond back to the club, Albion has completed a hat-trick in the second half of the forwarding information.

MF was returned to the gull in one year loan from Southampton.

Hammond's arrival, to complete the transfer window gull near busy.

MF Swansea and David Lopez, from Athletic Bilbao, in earlier days, boss Gus Poyet of landed striker Stephen Dobbie from another Spanish national MF Andrea Orlandi, from Swansea already.

The club deal was confirmed in quick succession in the run-up 23:00 transfer deadline.​

Hammond back at Albion From The Argus)

For more fun, go through more than one language translation.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Maybe we upped the amount of up-front money or replaced a clause with garenteed?

Perhaps we went hard ball and upped it by 100k but increased the % that was over time or clauses and thus the 'real' value of the 2nd bid was lower than the first?

Hard to tell from the report. Do think if no1 else bites we will get him on Thursday BUT could see someone doing them a favour and offering something we have to beat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quite, especially as we have allegedly already spent £2m in the last week and are still trying to keep a lid on our debts. I sense the shrewd hand of our poker playing Chairman at work here.

Groningen are trying to massively talk up the value of their man but Tony won't blink first. He certainly won't get ripped off either, he'll just walk away if the Dutch get too greedy.

Having gone so public about the offers we made they aren't being very subtle and maybe hoping the transfer deadline will trigger a bidding war for VDV.
I wonder if TB is happy to let clock countdown to the end of the transfer window in order to see if the Dutch blink first and will take a chance accepting the odds that a Prem club or another Championship club with parachute money might come in with a silly last minute offer and blow us out of the water.

I don't think TB would put our Prem aspirations at risk by doing nothing and I'm sure he knows that the sake of a £ million or two now, even more riches will follow if we go up. I still find it remarkable that we are even sitting at the poker table, let alone having a stack of chips and a decent hand to play with.

You've summed it up in a better way than I could. That's exactly how I read the situation at the moment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's generous of you, he's clearly on tilt.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If the Groningen directors or Dutch press are reading this, we've given a trial to Rohan Ince from Chelsea at Centre Back today.

Looks like we might not be as desperate to sign Van Dijk as you think ???

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If the Groningen directors or Dutch press are reading this, we've given a trial to Rohan Ince from Chelsea at Centre Back today.

Looks like we might not be as desperate to sign Van Dijk as you think ???

Yeah, and the back of our tongue's ARE showing:glare:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I didn't but obviously somebody did and they may not be aware that he has gone to Turkey, which is good for us as I wouldn't have wanted him at our club.

My mistake, was under the impression you posted all the Brighton rumours on there:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports