Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgil van Dijk - move back on? (Not presently)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I feel a bit uncomfortable seeing us go sniffing around players for millions. It feels like the world has gone mad. Shouldn't it be us in a panic that our best player are leaving?

As uncomfortable as I feel I love it.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Breaking news Albion have second bid for Dutch defender turned down
2:50pm Monday 28th January 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
Albion have had a second offer for Dutch under-21 international centre-half Virgil van Dijk rejected by his club Groningen.

Seagulls made the bid today after manager Gus Poyet flew to Holland to watch van Dijk in action yesterday.

But their increased offer is still not enough to persuade Groningen to sell.

Hans Nijland, Groningen's general manager, revealed to The Argus: “Brighton have made another offer today but we have rejected it.

“We've had two serious offers from them but not an offer that makes us think we should do a deal now.

“We do not want to sell Virgil in the window (January) because we need him too much.

“He is a key player in our team. We are struggling and we need him for the rest of the season.”

Albion are desperate to sign a centre-half before Thursday night's transfer deadline after captain Gordon Greer was injured in Saturday's FA Cup defeat against Arsenal.
I think this is the key here. As I say he may be available in the Summer but right now (being one of their best players) they need to keep him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Move on.

PS, naylor has asked NSC 'Will #bhafc make a 3rd bid before Thurs after GP flew to Holland yesterday to watch van Dijk?'

Anyone got any info for Naylor?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Move on.

PS, naylor has asked NSC 'Will #bhafc make a 3rd bid before Thurs after GP flew to Holland yesterday to watch van Dijk?'

Anyone got any info for Naylor?

No he hasn't. He's asked his followers on Twitter. Some of whom are on here.

I really don't understand this anti-Naylor stance that people adopt. He's just a guy doing his job – reporting what is going on at the Albion. Why does he cop so much grief? :shrug:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Would seem strange if Poyet went there just to quit after one additional bid. Surely they know that too.

If he leaves without a deal, I'm sure some thickos on here will blame him for flouncing out in a cheaply stereotypical Latin American way, rather than staying there and negotiating etc etc.

Anyone who knows anything about the Dutch, beyond the obvious stuff that they all smoke spliff, wear clogs and eat cheese, knows that they are visciously tight-fisted when it comes to trading, and it seems Groningen are no exception.

I'm told, and I've not been, that Groningen is also a very boring town. Gus needs the lads to take him out for a night in Brighton.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If he leaves without a deal, I'm sure some thickos on here will blame him for flouncing out in a cheaply stereotypical Latin American way, rather than staying there and negotiating etc etc.

Anyone who knows anything about the Dutch, beyond the obvious stuff that they all smoke spliff, wear clogs and eat cheese, knows that they are visciously tight-fisted when it comes to trading, and it seems Groningen are no exception.

I'm told, and I've not been, that Groningen is also a very boring town. Gus needs the lads to take him out for a night in Brighton.

Jury's Inn?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
FC Groningen have lost 50% of their games this season, 32 goals against, -13 GD, from 20 games. I hope this chap is worth it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Are they a yoyo club? If so he's ours for sure. They'll rebuild with the money and come back stronger rather than sell for less next year. Start putting big dijk on the back of your shirt, chap.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Before we start getting all arrogant about Groningen rejected our bids as if they should just be delighted we're interested, why should they sell this late in the window? We wouldn't be too keen on selling one of our important players would we? We don't want to flog Bridcutt, he's imperative to us but we think that Groningen should sell a centre back they clearly deem to be extremely important?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here