Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Violence

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Hi guys, this is a slightly odd request but I'd be very grateful for any help any of you might be able to give me.

Basically I'm a third year History student at the University of Exeter, and as such upsettingly enough I have to write a dissertation. This is going to be on the development of football violence in the British game, and also the reporting of it. Therefore if any of you have any personal recollections of being involved/seeing violent incidents connected with football (not necessarily the Albion, fans of other clubs are more than welcome too), I'd be very interested in hearing from you. If you could either post anything here or indeed email me on S.S.O.Parish@ex.ac.uk i would be very much obliged. I should probably also point out at this juncture that I may need to be in further contact should I wish to use any of your testimony in the final work, however this is mainly legal stuff the uni make us do to ensure I'm carrying out my research ethically etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Sam

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
can tell you one thing . in 1989 i was at aberdeen v rangers at pittodrie when i witnessed horrific violence in ground and surrounding streets but not a mention in scots media because at the time it was an english discease and scotland refused to recognise it happening there.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Our top boys out in numbers no messing good loyal footsoldiers, no shitters them out in numbers no scarfas nor runners stood firm toe to toe pub windows came smashing in 1-2 hurt bit of claret then OB break up all the fun took a good beating 1-2 scarfas too which is well out of order.

What degree is this again? :nono: :shootself

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
samparish said:
Hi guys, this is a slightly odd request but I'd be very grateful for any help any of you might be able to give me.

Basically I'm a third year History student at the University of Exeter, and as such upsettingly enough I have to write a dissertation. This is going to be on the development of football violence in the British game, and also the reporting of it. Therefore if any of you have any personal recollections of being involved/seeing violent incidents connected with football (not necessarily the Albion, fans of other clubs are more than welcome too), I'd be very interested in hearing from you. If you could either post anything here or indeed email me on S.S.O.Parish@ex.ac.uk i would be very much obliged. I should probably also point out at this juncture that I may need to be in further contact should I wish to use any of your testimony in the final work, however this is mainly legal stuff the uni make us do to ensure I'm carrying out my research ethically etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Sam

This site should help you out, it gives details of every bit of football related violence that occurs week in week out.

http://www.hooli-news.co.uk/home.php

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Cheers guys. :bounce:

Dougal - i'm not a policeman, as readingstockport correctly points out my email address is a uni one.

gwpdylan and the Wookiee - thanks for your help!

Man of Harveys - not sure if you're trying to be amusing, I'm doing a history degree, you know, what with the stuff I'm studying being in the past and all that. I can send you a copy of my bibliography if you'd like, also some essays on the holocaust if they tickle your fancy.

If anyone else has anything at all please email me or post here, it could be really helpful as I am a bit short on primary source material at the moment.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
welllllllll.......I know we ran the palace, Chesterfield and watford in 1976, ran away from everybody for the most part when we were in the first division 1979-1983, had some issues with Birmingham at The Goldstone and Mickey brought us home from an Irish Tour when some of our players and fans tried to start up the anglo irish peace accord again.

apart from that I cant really say as I was very very drunk:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
'92 FA Cup game vs Portsmouth. I got elbowed in the face by a pompey fan that had infiltrated the North Stand. He swung to hit a Brighton fan and hit me on the way back :lol: My friend's Dad (6'6") who was the size of Goliath, picked this chap up and handed him over to the police outside the ground. :bowdown:

It was a bit of a shock to a 12 year old, but at least we won the game. :clap2: Matthew Edwards if my memory serves me correctly.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I always remember us invading the pitch from the north stand when we beat Portsmouth at the Goldstone in about 1992. Mark Gall had swerved a beautiful cross in for our second, after Meade had curled an edge of boxer in first. About a thousand of us were on there so merry, raving with toxins yet to be injected or swallowed (that i was aware of). Someone near the front of our group shouted THEY'RE COMING! and all of us began sprinting for the safe weeds of stands, hoping the disabled may get done first and give us the wheelie moments to run the 5 miles to home and the guaranteed protective cushions of mother's bed. Once arriving at my regular point i turned to see two Portsmouth fans on the pitch.
I always think of us as Britain's number one cowards.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I have no stories but if you do a search for William Footwhite you should find some interesting comments. He basically did a participant observation study of hooliganism at football. It was a long time ago that I studied Sociology and had to use his stuff in my papers.

Good luck mate

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
welllllllll.......I know we ran the palace, Chesterfield and watford in 1976, ran away from everybody for the most part when we were in the first division 1979-1983, had some issues with Birmingham at The Goldstone and Mickey brought us home from an Irish Tour when some of our players and fans tried to start up the anglo irish peace accord again.

apart from that I cant really say as I was very very drunk:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

DTG, that cheaterfield one you speak of. was that when we helped ourselves to free stuff from the market first. took their end. they came back at us and we formed a human funnel and kicked the living daylights out of them as they tried to take back their end? :blush:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hampden park said:
DTG, that cheaterfield one you speak of. was that when we helped ourselves to free stuff from the market first. took their end. they came back at us and we formed a human funnel and kicked the living daylights out of them as they tried to take back their end? :blush:

I couldnt possibly comment.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

handful of satsumas went down very well though.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
I couldnt possibly comment.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

handful of satsumas went down very well though.

as did the 2 pairs of jeans i nicked :down:

were you at the peterborough game when we lit a big fire to keep warm :nono:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hampden park said:
as did the 2 pairs of jeans i nicked :down:

were you at the peterborough game when we lit a big fire to keep warm :nono:

was that the FA Cup game in the snow?

I was at Lincoln when they wanted a win to go up and we had brighton fans behind both goals...it all kicked off in the small stand behind the goal in the corner.

the bear scored for us and we lost 2-1. played footy in their goal whilst the celebrations were going on after the game

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
could well have been, cant remember the date.
missed the lincoln one, my brother went though came home with a loverly shiner :cool:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
These two books are interesting, lots of accounts from nearly every team in the league, although alot a quite exagerated, it does give you an idea of what goes on with the 'darker side of football'

1903854512.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61368446_.jpg

1903854415.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61385488_.jpg

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Meade's_Ball said:
I always remember us invading the pitch from the north stand when we beat Portsmouth at the Goldstone in about 1992. Mark Gall had swerved a beautiful cross in for our second, after Meade had curled an edge of boxer in first. About a thousand of us were on there so merry, raving with toxins yet to be injected or swallowed (that i was aware of). Someone near the front of our group shouted THEY'RE COMING! and all of us began sprinting for the safe weeds of stands, hoping the disabled may get done first and give us the wheelie moments to run the 5 miles to home and the guaranteed protective cushions of mother's bed. Once arriving at my regular point i turned to see two Portsmouth fans on the pitch.
I always think of us as Britain's number one cowards.

that was hilarious , i think the thing that cleared the Albion fans was one pompey fan putting his foot through the wooden fence thing half way up the east terrace.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Dave the Gaffer said:
I was at Lincoln when they wanted a win to go up and we had brighton fans behind both goals...it all kicked off in the small stand behind the goal in the corner.

the bear scored for us and we lost 2-1. played footy in their goal whilst the celebrations were going on after the game

I was at that one. We had a few "youth" following us to the ground as they'd clocked we were Brighton, but there were quite a few OB on the street so nothing happened. In the ground we seemed to be in every stand. Some people behind us kept telling the stewards "It's going to kick off in a minute" evey five minutes, but they didn't really seem to care. A real case of "There's Brighton there, there's Brighton there, there's Brighton there, there's Brighton there"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here