[Music] Vinyl records

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
After the success of repairing and restoring the last turntable, I got another one. It's Pioneer PL-130. The service manual suggests it's from the around 1982

It was sold as broken and had no plug so I was not sure if it would work at all. I have replaced drive belt, stylus, given it a clean and of course fitted a plug. It now works really well.

Still needs some work on the dust cover, but should be a nice working vintage turntable when finished.

This is when I got it

View attachment 128405

And now

View attachment 128406

You could have a career on The Repair Shop.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've got about 200 records I want to shift. No idea if any are worth any real money. Anyone got any suggestions about a good place to get shot (other than the tip)? I'm more interested in getting shot than I am in maximising the sale price. TVM

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I've got about 200 records I want to shift. No idea if any are worth any real money. Anyone got any suggestions about a good place to get shot (other than the tip)? I'm more interested in getting shot than I am in maximising the sale price. TVM

Could spend hours on here https://eil.com/

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’ve just got hold of a 1975 Hitachi ps-38 - a glorious TT with original shure cart... it needs a little tlc but it’s a beauty ! Can’t wait to get it cleaned up and running! It’ll top off my vintage Hitachi system perfectly :)

1B9F4058-E0DD-493B-9B1B-BC13DF775CA9.jpeg

That’s what it will look like when it’s a bit cleaner... I’ve been after one for ages, at the right price ... it’s been worth the wait!

Ozwald

Dec 8, 2019

Take the lot to a record shop. Theres a handful around North Laine, my favourite being Rarekind Records. They probably won't give you the best price but when you're selling collections you never do. If you're more interested in maximising the price you want I'd sell them all on discogs.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I’ve just got hold of a 1975 Hitachi ps-38 - a glorious TT with original shure cart... it needs a little tlc but it’s a beauty ! Can’t wait to get it cleaned up and running! It’ll top off my vintage Hitachi system perfectly :)

View attachment 128413

That’s what it will look like when it’s a bit cleaner... I’ve been after one for ages, at the right price ... it’s been worth the wait!

That a lovely looking turntable :thumbsup:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Stick a job lot £100 collection only price on Gumtree. If you have early copies of 70’s bands e.g.Black Sabbath, Led Zep or Pink FLoyd DSOTM have a look at Discogs for prices before you throw away a fortune. If you take around Record shops they will only want to pick out the ones they want and leave you with the dross.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stick a job lot £100 collection only price on Gumtree. If you have early copies of 70’s bands e.g.Black Sabbath, Led Zep or Pink FLoyd DSOTM have a look at Discogs for prices before you throw away a fortune. If you take around Record shops they will only want to pick out the ones they want and leave you with the dross.

Umm, I have a lot of 70s pressings of the type you mention in the collection. 3 or 4 copies each of Zep 1, 2, & 3. 4 copies of DSotM (from pretty early), etc. I might just have a quick look. While I’m happy not to make top dollar, there’s no point in just throwing away money...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
That a lovely looking turntable :thumbsup:

I'll post a picture of mine when I'm done with its service and clean up... I managed to pay £60 for mine as it needed a new stylus and a bit of work, but they can sell for well over £200 (something I'd never do tbh) in good condition... You're only as good as your cart/tonearm really so having the original Shure on mine is a huge bonus... I think I said earlier in this thread I'm no audiophile, but the slightly higher end vintage TTs do look rather lovely... Thanks btw, I think it's one of the nicest looking vintage TTs that crops up. Hitachi made some awesome stuff in the mid to late 70s, and they remain a 'sleeper' in some respects... whilst people go berserk for the similar mid-range Pioneer stuff.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Umm, I have a lot of 70s pressings of the type you mention in the collection. 3 or 4 copies each of Zep 1, 2, & 3. 4 copies of DSotM (from pretty early), etc. I might just have a quick look. While I’m happy not to make top dollar, there’s no point in just throwing away money...

Real money is with first pressings but early copies of the ones you mention are worth more than you might expect. If you have the stickers and posters with DSOTM it’s a bonus.
Obviously Dylan and Beatles are popular but if you have copies of Never Mind the Bollocks or The Stones Roses, The Verve you will be quids in. First pressing of Electric Warrior is a winner too. If you have a copy of Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland with the nice ladies on the front I’ll stump up a tenner :)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Coincidentally I have just sent them a list of 100 albums from the 60s to 80s but they have a lot of stock currently and turned them down.

I think many people have decided in this lockdown period to have a clear out and hopefully cash in.

The market is probably flooded right now, except for the real collectors items.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I'll post a picture of mine when I'm done with its service and clean up... I managed to pay £60 for mine as it needed a new stylus and a bit of work, but they can sell for well over £200 (something I'd never do tbh) in good condition... You're only as good as your cart/tonearm really so having the original Shure on mine is a huge bonus... I think I said earlier in this thread I'm no audiophile, but the slightly higher end vintage TTs do look rather lovely... Thanks btw, I think it's one of the nicest looking vintage TTs that crops up. Hitachi made some awesome stuff in the mid to late 70s, and they remain a 'sleeper' in some respects... whilst people go berserk for the similar mid-range Pioneer stuff.

That's a good price hope it all works for you and would love to see the pictures.

I like to find old turntables in need of TLC and fix them. I then sell them on Ebay for the price it has cost me to purchase and repair, I don't do it to make money (don't want to lose it either) just the satisfaction of seeing something the would normally end up at the tip being used again.

The last one I did owed me about £40, that was for the turntable, belt and stylus. I sold it for £45 plus delivery. The buyer's feed back was happy so it was a very satisfying project.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
That's a good price hope it all works for you and would love to see the pictures.

I like to find old turntables in need of TLC and fix them. I then sell them on Ebay for the price it has cost me to purchase and repair, I don't do it to make money (don't want to lose it either) just the satisfaction of seeing something the would normally end up at the tip being used again.

The last one I did owed me about £40, that was for the turntable, belt and stylus. I sold it for £45 plus delivery. The buyer's feed back was happy so it was a very satisfying project.

Yeah - I occasionally look to sell via ebay too... Again I don't make much but believe in recycling bits of hifi that might (as you say), end up in the tip... This one is a keeper, as I say, it's my dream TT really... job done :)

I'll be sorting it next week, so I'll put some pics up in due course.

Leas

Dec 3, 2011
i sell high quality vinyl 7 inch / 12 inch plastic polythene record sleeves 250G/450G UK stock fast delivery , 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 packages , if this is of interest to you please do private message me

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think many people have decided in this lockdown period to have a clear out and hopefully cash in.

The market is probably flooded right now, except for the real collectors items.

Exactly what I did . . .I've dumped a load of CD's as well. I have a few hundred to sell and about 70-80 vinyl albums to clear as well . . . . just sitting in the corner for the time being waiting for me to do somehging with them

In other news, I have been thinking about rebuilding my planar 3 into a nice plank of tree instead of the mdf or whatever its made of. . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports