Vintage Video: 1980/81 Brighton v Leeds (17 mins) - The Great Escape!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well, here's a classic one!

www.seagulls.tv - Brighton v Leeds (1980/81) - YouTube

The final game of the season and Albion have pulled themselves out of the relegation fire, winning their previous three matches before this. It was Alan Mullery and Brian Horton's last games before they left in the summer (although both were to return to the club as managers).

Thank you to [MENTION=15769]He Shot He Scored[/MENTION] for supplying me with the video.

For more videos, as well as player profiles, an image gallery and results and scorers for the 1980/81 season, please visit Seagulls TV - 1980/81 - other videos from that season include the 3-0 win at Crystal Palace.

Enjoy!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Absolutely wonderful stuff from a bygone age.

Top flight football and the preferred thing to do from kick-off is pass straight back to the goalkeeper (giving him the all important "touch of the ball") and then let him hoof it down the middle of the pitch.

And as for the tackle on Adny Ritchie at 3.05... well a law-suit would be the minimum response these days.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I bet there have not been many Albion starting elevens stronger than in that match.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I bet there have not been many Albion starting elevens stronger than in that match.
Of the current squad, only The Holy Trinity (Kuszczak, Bridge & Bruno) + Buckley would have a chance of getting in that team...

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
...That Chris Ramsey challenge in the penalty area at 0-0....:nono:

Sadly, Ramsey looks an accident waiting to happen on most of the little footage that survives. Reckless tackles, calamitously miscontrolling of the ball and needlessly giving the ball away with hoofs up the pitch when not under pressure. Yes, Bruno would get into that 1981 side!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thanks a lot Goldstone Rapper. Those were the days, standing at the back of the North I recall it was about 27,000. How different a setting for the 27,000 against Leeds this Friday...

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Oh happy days

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Ramsey was actually a crowd favorite in the relativly few games he played.

Yes, he was an accident waiting to happen but those long legs made some vital tackles, he had pace too when going forward and he had flair.

Incidentally, probably the best bit of that 16 min clip is the very last second and the final league table!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports