Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vincent Janssen

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That does all seem to make sense. If he was asked to make a choice about leaving with no time to think about it and while away with the national team I can't blame him for saying no. If this is to believed then you do have to have a little sympathy for him.

I would still be very happy to get him if we go back in for him in January as i do think there's a good player in there. Spurs probably won't be getting over £20m for him next time though which is why they were so keen to push him out.

Spurs play 4-2-3-1 and now they have Llorente as cover for Kane the "1" position is sorted. Similarly, they have Son as a third striker option and as an attacking left-sided player with Lamela. Therefore, Janssen's game-time is likely to be limited to say the least.

I really hope the Albion court him up to the January window, he is a quality striker and would be a great signing for us. Hopefully, Davie Propper will persuade him to come here. That said, he'd walk into most other Prem sides outside of the top 7.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I hope we go back in for him or the lad from Spain, we will need to be in with a decent shout of staying up though or they will not consider us sadly.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I think this comment from Paul Barber on the other thread is interesting:

"- when a player decides not to join a club, it’s often about him wanting to stay with the club he’s at, rather than snubbing the club courting him; the two things are very different, albeit we know the net result is the same."

I wonder if that's a veiled way of saying we still have hopes to sign Janssen in January and not to get too down on him because he apparently turned us down this time?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As regards Krul I do not understand why we signed him in the first place either loan or as future purchase. We didnt need him as an oldie in case of emergency would have been more than adequate unless his wages are very low.

We needed a third keeper. Walton got injured so could not be recalled and play.

Krul was a shrewd move and might turn out to be a scoop. Ryan might also miss games because of Australia play-off games?

Krul is not that old either..

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Krul was a shrewd move and might turn out to be a scoop. Ryan might also miss games because of Australia play-off games?

I was amazed to read that he was 29. He seems to have been around a long time but he's got quite a few years to go yet before hanging up the boots.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think the issue here was that he probably would have joined on loan, but not a permanent.

Which begs the question couldn't we have paid Krul's contract up with Newcastle signed him on a free for say 2 years then used the loan slot for Janssen? Assuming Janssen was open to the idea of course!

As regards Krul I do not understand why we signed him in the first place either loan or as future purchase. We didnt need him as an oldie in case of emergency would have been more than adequate unless his wages are very low.

The use of the second available loan on Krul is certainly an "interesting" one, especially as we'll never know whether Janssen might have been more willing to join us on a loan basis rather than a permanent deal at such short notice (and when away on international duty).

I think there is a distinct case to be made here that what we were really scuppered by in this window was ........ Murray's non-Home Grown Player status.

Remember, up until about midday on August 31st, there was every intention that Goldson (one of our HGPs) would be going out on loan. In the absence of Krul, that would have meant we only had 7 HGPs in the squad, meaning we would only have been able to name a squad of 24. Given that since early summer we have known the club wanted 3 goalkeepers, it would have required either the third 'keeper or the new striker to be a HGP. Presumably most (all?) of the remaining striker targets were non-HGPs, meaning the 3rd keeper had to meet that criteria.

I wonder if there was any attempt by the club to make the Krul deal a permanent one? We'll probably never know. And who would have thought, a few years ago, that Albion of all clubs would be struggling to meet the HGP criteria in their Premier League squad?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not disputing that Krul is a good keeper but where I consider him a waste is that I would have expected us to sign an older has been like Ross Turnbull, Robert Green even Shay Given at probably a lower rate of wages as this would be their last throw of the dice and would probably never have to play a league game for us but if needed could cover as required. Exactly what Burnley did when they signed Paul Robinson from Blackburn. There is of course the possibility that the club are having 2nd thoughts on Ryan and see Krul as a possible no 1 either this or next season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That does all seem to make sense. If he was asked to make a choice about leaving with no time to think about it and while away with the national team I can't blame him for saying no. If this is to believed then you do have to have a little sympathy for him.

I would still be very happy to get him if we go back in for him in January as i do think there's a good player in there. Spurs probably won't be getting over £20m for him next time though which is why they were so keen to push him out.

But he can't score when you take away the two pens handed to him on a plate by empathetic team mates. Levy and Pochettino almost succeeding in making a profit on a PL dud.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Don't agree at all.

Sanchez is an adequate 3rd choice. Maenppa is a capable deputy for Ryan. Wasted loan for me.

I can hardly remember a 3rd string keeper having to start in the PL.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Missing out on signing Vincent Janssen is a strange one for us. He was absolute vole shit for Spurs and doesn't look like he'll improve there. They've not included him in their Champs league squad and are looking to get rid after just 1 season. Not only that, he was absolute last choice for clubs like the Albion when it came to signing a striker this summer, so he's not even that wanted.
It's strange because it feels like we swerved the biggest bullet in the transfer market, but yet we're still probably worse off even without someone as bad as Janssen.

In all honesty, I don't really know how to explain how I feel about this one?

Best I can do is give you this picture:

swerved.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Turkish window obviously taking a while to shut! (Shuts today - yet more reasons for window calendar to be reformed)

Isn't the reform being discussed only for the Premier League?

So this sort of thing is still likely unless UEFA can harmonise things. That might be tricky to do if leagues across Europe start at different times, since the PL change ties the window to the first game of the season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well thats embarrassing.....

Would rather go to Turkey then play for us in the premier league.

Perhaps having a week to weigh up his career options was preferable to 5 minutes, after an international game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here