Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viktor Gyokeres

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I was impressed on his debut against Southampton. Missed a couple of chances but got in good positions throughout game

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I would keep him as 4th choice striker.

If we don't sign anyone then he will be third in line presumably with Tolaj 4th.

If that was to happen then I'd have preferred to have kept Murray as an option.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Let’s hope he is kept here. We really need 2 new strikers, but one seems to be a massive struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Many years ago I was working in an export environment. Having a degree in modern languages (French and German) I often found myself subconsciously correcting Letters and faxes we received from native speakers in those areas.

Set against that we had a Finnish agent who visited us at one point and was making a phone call in the office adjoining mine. I would have had him down as a native speaker of English except for one instance where he used a turn of phrase which just wasn’t “English”.

You’re doing alright in a second language!

PS - I was once told by a contact working in France that I spoke an old fashioned French, which he recognised as very good. His name was Victor Hugo, and yes, he was related (grandson or great grandson)

Apparently air traffic controllers prefer communicating with Continental pilots, as they stick firmly to Aviation English, whereas British pilots tend to use airline slang. Whether that is the case or not I don't know, but it sounds quite likely. I shared a house with a Swedish student at university, and his English was excellent. It was just English expressions he had difficulty with. He was a brilliant linguist, being fluent in Swedish, English and French, and had a good crack at Japanese as a free choice subject. I was quite envious - I struggle to keep up with my schoolboy French. What I didn't get about him was that he had absolutely no taste in food. His main meal for half a year was wafer thin ham, scrambled egg and boiled potatoes, day after day. Half way through the year he changed to pasta with tomato and basil sauce, again day after day. He spent half a year in Paris to learn French and lived on McDonald's. I don't know if Swansman will say that this is typical of Swedes. When I visited Sweden, it was very difficult to find interesting food.

One thing with languages and speaking them when you go abroad is dialects. If you learn Spanish well, it is apparently easy to be understood in Madrid and cities like Salamanca and Valladollid, but if you go to Andalucia the dialect is quite thick and hard to understand. I had just finished German O'Level in 1985. We then went on holiday to Bavaria and I could barely understand anyone.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Do we sell him....?
Do we loan him out.....?
Do we play him....?

He's currently our 3rd choice striker, so until we get at least one other striker in, he's going nowhere. personally, I'd rather we brought in 2 before he's allowed a loan spell, because just 3 strikers worried me throughout last season. We got so lucky with injuries.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If you're Potter or Ashworth, this is a pretty pisspoor way to determine the squad to be honest. You're paid to make these decisions, don't ask us, we're clueless. Spelling his name wrong on purpose to hide your identity doesn't work either.

It's definitely not Barber(out) – that post is WAAAAAY too short :lolol:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The current Albion way is not to bother with strikers, the goals can come from.......er

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here