Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not so shabby

1682798712442.png

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Now talking Wolves paying £25 million in the Summer with Burnley and Dirty Leeds also keeping tabs.

Did we have a sell on or buy back clause when we sold him?

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Really do think he was one that got away. He might not end up as good as Evan but I watched the Coventry highlights a couple of weeks back and he was a beast and would be a fantastic asset to the squad now.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Really do think he was one that got away. He might not end up as good as Evan but I watched the Coventry highlights a couple of weeks back and he was a beast and would be a fantastic asset to the squad now.
Not much we could really do though. I remember at the time he was sold it was said that he’d made a lot of noise within the club about wanting first team football, which given his stats/age we couldn’t really justify giving him, and he wanted a permanent home rather than more loans. I’m sure we would have wanted to keep him but he was sold mostly at the wishes of the player. But I’m sure we have a healthy sell on percentage.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Not much we could really do though. I remember at the time he was sold it was said that he’d made a lot of noise within the club about wanting first team football, which given his stats/age we couldn’t really justify giving him, and he wanted a permanent home rather than more loans. I’m sure we would have wanted to keep him but he was sold mostly at the wishes of the player. But I’m sure we have a healthy sell on percentage.
That was Østigard who got a reputation for making a lot of noise in pursuit of first team minutes. Now spends most of his time on the bench at Napoli, but I guess winning the title helps soften the blow there a little.

Gyökeres was always talented, but we gambled on Connolly instead and it didn’t pay off. When Gyökeres was here he didn’t look PL ready yet, and he probably did have to leave us in order to reach this level. So be it - hopefully they sell him for £25m and we get a nice sell on percentage.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
That was Østigard who got a reputation for making a lot of noise in pursuit of first team minutes. Now spends most of his time on the bench at Napoli, but I guess winning the title helps soften the blow there a little.

Gyökeres was always talented, but we gambled on Connolly instead and it didn’t pay off. When Gyökeres was here he didn’t look PL ready yet, and he probably did have to leave us in order to reach this level. So be it - hopefully they sell him for £25m and we get a nice sell on percentage.
I don't think we gambled on Connolly instead. Gyokeres had a couple of chances in the first team but didn't really seize his chance. Connolly came in and scored some goals.
I just think it's demonstrates how hard it is for young players to make it.

I also think Gyokeres needed to leave to become the player he is now. I don't think he would have got the game time with us, which is how he's developed. I don't really feel we let him get away, because I don't think he would be the same player he is now, if he'd stayed.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think we gambled on Connolly instead. Gyokeres had a couple of chances in the first team but didn't really seize his chance. Connolly came in and scored some goals.
I just think it's demonstrates how hard it is for young players to make it.

I also think Gyokeres needed to leave to become the player he is now. I don't think he would have got the game time with us, which is how he's developed. I don't really feel we let him get away, because I don't think he would be the same player he is now, if he'd stayed.
Spot on. This will happen and will be qn occupational hazard.

Players learn by playing and it's very hard for us to give a player 2 years in the team before they're not quite ready

Loan after loan is not right for every player

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Even a 25% sell on is going to be small beer to us. Personally I think Potter did back Connolly over Gykores after only giving the latter two cup games to come good. Anyway ce la vie all done now.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Even a 25% sell on is going to be small beer to us. Personally I think Potter did back Connolly over Gykores after only giving the latter two cup games to come good. Anyway ce la vie all done now.
I don't know. If he was sold for 25m, a 25% sell on feel would get us 6.25m on top of the million we (I think) sold him for. 7.25m for a player who barely kicked a ball in our first team is a very decent return IMO and I think the club would be very happy with it. As I see it it's another positive for the way we operate and another reason why young players would be attracted to join us.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I remember watching a live stream of the U21’s, away at Luton or somewhere, and he was absolutely gash!
The commentators were almost laughing at how bad he was playing.
He never really took his chance here did he. But sometimes things change, he’s probably worked hard, bulked up and taken his chance.
Well done to the lad 👏👏👏

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s sliding doors isn’t it.

Without a move and first team football at a lower level with less expectations and he may not make the leaps in career he has done.

Had we kept him and limited chances, various loan deals, erosion of confidence, he may not have got to where he is now had he stayed. You just don’t know.

This will happen from time to time. As long as we don’t do a Chelsea and let the likes of De Bruyne and Salah go because they weren’t good enough, I think I’ll still sleep at night.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's a "Substantial" sell-on clause.

That is just 1 down from "Astronomical".

My interpretation of "Substantial" is 35%+.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports