Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viktor Gyokeres

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not sure Connolly himself made a fuss but I think there might have been undertones from others to play Connolly based on his goal return in the youth sides.

It's always hard to tell how someone might step up from youth level to first team.

I also remember seeing on here when Alzate made the first team. I kept reading on here how well he seemed to be playing. He was another whose rise to prominency was a surprise because he apparently hadn't shown too much in training in the 12 months before that. The phrase was " I didn't see that one coming"

It's weird how different managers and different fans often see players and their contribution and potential differently.
Indeed, for Coventry to pay £1m Robins must of seen something there and he’s being proved right.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can't really blame the club , he had a few chances here and looked way off it.

Sent on loan and was crap in the championship for swansea. Sent on loan again to Cov and only scored 3 in 19.

It's only since he went for perm has he found his scoring boots.

Good luck to him but be surprised if he makes it in the prem.

Our striker issues will hopefully be addressed in Jan

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Plenty of players develop late. Gyokeres plays well for Coventry because of the support he gets from other players and the style of play. Personally think he would suit our type of team.

NODC

Apr 19, 2012
Talksport mention a valuation of £20m, seems incredibly high, hope we get a cut if true

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's hard to get it right with strikers. I wonder how Everton fans feel now when they've drawn a blank in 5 of their last 7 but loanee Ellis Simms has bagged 23 in 61 on loan at Blackpool, then Hearts, now Sunderland.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Everton, Southampton, Palace and West Ham still being linked with Gyokeres, although you'd assume the latter won't pursue it if they sing Ings from Villa.

£18-20m still being mooted and by all accounts we have a "substantial" sell-on clause.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Everton, Southampton, Palace and West Ham still being linked with Gyokeres, although you'd assume the latter won't pursue it if they sing Ings from Villa.

£18-20m still being mooted and by all accounts we have a "substantial" sell-on clause.
It’s such an Everton signing, 100%.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Standard relegation scrap scouting. Look at the league below, see who's scored a few goals, put in a £15-£20m bid. Job's a gooden!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Yep thats got Everton or Southampton written all over it. Wasn't it like £1m we let him go for? It was annoying to let a young striker go but at the time he wasnt scoring any goals on his loans, and from what I read was very keen for first team football and a place to call home, rather than being sent on multiple loan locations. Total guess work but if a standard minimal sell on percentage is around 10/20%, that ''substantial'' sell on percentage could be very healthy and lead to another £5/6m in the kitty.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I can see this being another time where fans of other clubs are envious of how we operate in the transfer market...

...fer ticker tape... Gyokeres signs for Toffees in £20m deal, Brighton land £8m through sell-on clause. SSN trans...

Other fans: "FFS Brighton!"

Us:
:bloom:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
He's scored 12 in 26 matches so far.

Last season Ben Brereton Diaz had scored 20 by now*, and nobody swooped in for him (and this season he's back down to a more prosaic 9 so far).

* and only another 2 in the rest of the season - injured for most of it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He's scored 12 in 26 matches so far.

Last season Ben Brereton Diaz had scored 20 by now*, and nobody swooped in for him (and this season he's back down to a more prosaic 9 so far).

* and only another 2 in the rest of the season - injured for most of it.
I think teams were right not to jump at buying Diaz. He scored a bunch of goals in the first half a season and then not much in the latter half. When I looked into it I also found that quite a high percentage of his goals came against teams in the bottom third of the Championship. A few braces/hattricks against the shit teams boosted his numbers dramatically.

Dec 29, 2011
Yep thats got Everton or Southampton written all over it. Wasn't it like £1m we let him go for? It was annoying to let a young striker go but at the time he wasnt scoring any goals on his loans, and from what I read was very keen for first team football and a place to call home, rather than being sent on multiple loan locations. Total guess work but if a standard minimal sell on percentage is around 10/20%, that ''substantial'' sell on percentage could be very healthy and lead to another £5/6m in the kitty.
Think your maths is a bit off there. Best case scenario 20% of 19m is 3.8m.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Think your maths is a bit off there. Best case scenario 20% of 19m is 3.8m.
What im saying is that generally when a sell on percentage is inserted into these deals they're at around the 10/20% mark, but it was well documented when he was sold that we have a ''substantial'' sell on clause, the fact it was noted in this manner means it could be more like 30/40%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here