Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viktor Gyokeres

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Getting some very nice ratings from the fans: https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/player-ratings.135718/

Hope it wasnt a mistake to sell him... from watching him talk and play (mainly in the Swedish U21) I think he will turn into a great player one day.
Potter know best ??? Some decisions in football do seem strange I would of rather seen him given a chance this season than having to put up with Connolly’s tantrums and lacklustre displays.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I thought his all round game was much better than Connolly’s that year they had in the u23. I’d imagine we have a pretty healthy sell on clause.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Potter know best ??? Some decisions in football do seem strange I would of rather seen him given a chance this season than having to put up with Connolly’s tantrums and lacklustre displays.

Nah. Fans know Justice knows best.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Getting some very nice ratings from the fans: https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/player-ratings.135718/

Hope it wasnt a mistake to sell him... from watching him talk and play (mainly in the Swedish U21) I think he will turn into a great player one day.

I suppose it's just a fact of having an academy with a lot of players. You'll have to release a lot of them because you can't give them the game time to develop, they find a club and environment which is right for them, they go on to do well. It doesn't mean it was a mistake to release them.

You can use the loan system of course, but the players wishes have got to come into it, and we'll still be paying some of the wages. Plus some players will only properly kick on when they're standing on their own two feet.

Good luck to Viktor

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I suppose it's just a fact of having an academy with a lot of players. You'll have to release a lot of them because you can't give them the game time to develop, they find a club and environment which is right for them, they go on to do well. It doesn't mean it was a mistake to release them.

You can use the loan system of course, but the players wishes have got to come into it, and we'll still be paying some of the wages. Plus some players will only properly kick on when they're standing on their own two feet.

Good luck to Viktor
Agree with that - for a good while we've only really had Steve Cook and maybe Russell Martin to whom you might look at as "ones that got away" having been on our books as youngsters and had decent careers with many top flight appearances. But even then the regret is minimal as we've had an embarrassment of riches at CB for god knows how long now.

We're at a level now where naturally some of the players we're having to let go WILL go on to excel at Championship level and may even become decent PL players. Possibly even some actual attacking players, dare I say it. It's just a by-product of the standard of squad we're having to compile to be in any way competitive in the top division - not every prospect can be afforded the playing time and environment in which to develop, as you say.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Listening to reports from the match yesterday, he somehow managed to miss two one-on-one chances before he got his goal. Clearly his finishing is not better than Zeqiri (his replacement) or Connolly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Listening to reports from the match yesterday, he somehow managed to miss two one-on-one chances before he got his goal. Clearly his finishing is not better than Zeqiri (his replacement) or Connolly.

Need to give Coventry more time to school the Albion out of him.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Good luck to Viktor

I think more accurately it means that we have to now accept that inevitably some mistakes will happen. And this may turn out to be one of them.

I am of the belief that in the long term attitude and application will generally be as important as raw talent (see for instance, Patrick Bamford) unless that talent is truly prodigious. And Gyokeres seems to have those attributes, as well as sufficient, if not excess, talent.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think more accurately it means that we have to now accept that inevitably some mistakes will happen. And this may turn out to be one of them.

I am of the belief that in the long term attitude and application will generally be as important as raw talent (see for instance, Patrick Bamford) unless that talent is truly prodigious. And Gyokeres seems to have those attributes, as well as sufficient, if not excess, talent.

Possibly a mistake, but we can't know. If he'd stayed at the Albion he wouldn't have the game time to develop. We could have sent him out on loan for the next 1,2 or 3 years, but we can't hold onto players forever in the hope they might come to something. (Chelsea can fund paying the lions share of the wages of vast number of loanees until they're 26, we can't)

Best not to look at it as a mistake. A certain amount of this is inevitable.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If he starts scoring 25 a season then its a mistake, otherwise scoring 10-15 at Championship level would make our assessment about right? Good player may improve but looked a little bit short of top level from what little I've seen of him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Possibly a mistake, but we can't know. If he'd stayed at the Albion he wouldn't have the game time to develop. We could have sent him out on loan for the next 1,2 or 3 years, but we can't hold onto players forever in the hope they might come to something. (Chelsea can fund paying the lions share of the wages of vast number of loanees until they're 26, we can't)

Best not to look at it as a mistake. A certain amount of this is inevitable.

Tell Christian Walton that! But maybe the Walton saga is a lesson learned - I think we might have got the odd 2 or 3 million for him a year ot two back. Now it looks as if Ipswich could keep him for next season, if they want him, on a free.
I don't know how much Coventry paid for Gyokeres, but hope we've got a good sell-on clause!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't know how much Coventry paid for Gyokeres, but hope we've got a good sell-on clause!

I think we sold him for around £1m which is great value for a Championship club for a young striker well on their way to double figures. I’d be shocked if there wasn’t a heft sell-on clause.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Football fans.

Give these things time...

Form is temporary.

He might be a 25 a goal season man. But he probably won't be.

If his talent was that obvious, he would still be here... and that's a fact.

Never looked ready for Prem football In his couple of appearances but he’s very young and certainly looked no worse than Connolly in almost all his appearances bar Spurs debut.

Think we got a mill. Maybe a loan would have been a better approach as certainly doing the biz right now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Football fans.

Give these things time...

Form is temporary.

He might be a 25 a goal season man. But he probably won't be.

If his talent was that obvious, he would still be here... and that's a fact.

His talent is obvious to anyone who has seen him a lot.

He moved to the Premier League too early and too late simultanously and would have needed to go to a smaller league before heading to England. As a 20 year old (when he arrived, 23 now) you dont have that many years to show what you can before you have to restart elsewhere and thats what happened. It was the best solution both for Viktor and the club but that doesnt mean he wont play in the PL at some point in the future. He got the potential.

I've seen lots of interviews with him and I'm pretty confident that someone with his mentaly will end up as a Swedish national team player and playing in a top 5 league (possibly not PL though).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here