Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

View from the Park Lane (eastern bloc)...

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Have just got in and not read any of the presumably proud Albion reports on today's game, but thought I'd pore out a few thoughts...
Obviously, Albion were very good today and unlucky to lose. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that nor come up with too much condescending crap.
Equally, Spurs were terrible. That was by far out worst performance since Martin Jol took over from the late unlamented Santini and I think it must have been because the players approached the game too complacently.
Then again, Brighton lined up very effectively - I am 110 per cent certain Jermain Defoe has never, and will never again, played so poorly, and Keano wasn't much better - until that stunning, match-winning strike, of course. The two of them seemed on completely different wavelengths and the sooner Fredi Kanoute returns, the better, frankly, fredily. But Albion's three at the back had a lot to do with that - especially since all three were hefty bastards, up against two titches whose fancy touches never looked like coming off... Thought Hinshelwood looked good - could make a decent-ish signing for Bolton or Birmingham.
Apologies for the oh-so-predictable 'gayboy' chants, though it's all banter and hardly - I would hope - seen as a capital crime, in threads below... Find us guilty of lack of imagination, by all means, but if you were expecting deep socio-political insights, you picked the wrong Saturday afternoon pastime, surely...
I tried to explain, repeatedly, to the people around me the meaning of the pro-Falmer chants. And I think most people appreciated the added atmosphere from having so many away fans up for the day, obviously having a top time....
Hadn't seen Brighton play this season, but based on last year, and recent reviews on here, I was expecting fairly direct, route-one stuff. How wrong I was - Albion passed the ball about fairly well for most of the match. I appreciate, from our lacklustre performance and the 'Premiershit' chants, that you might find it hard to believe, but we've been playing some sumptuous football recently. Battered Everton a week ago and, if we'd played like that again today, I reckon we'd have run up a cricket score against you (and of the South African vintage, too, not a recent England knock...) but fair do's, we weren't allowed to play today. And not just because of some, shall we say, 'robust' challenges which I'm sure would have gone (rightly) punished in the Premiership, but due to excellent Albion organisation.
Last season, whenever I saw Brighton play, I was impressed with the job Carpenter did, and felt the same today - he was a real nuisance, not so much for what he did on the ball, but the space he opened up around him. Similar goes for the much-maligned Harding.
Only Spurs players I thought took much credit out of today were King and Carrick. Brown and Defoe were particularly woeful.
Still, as we sang to Palace last week...
'A-gain,
We'll never play you again.
We'll never play you again,
We'll never play you again...'

Actually, I hope we do, albeit in the Premiership some time, of course - and with a return fixture at Falmer, naturally...

Keep on like today and staying up's a cert...
:)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It couldn't be because we didn't let you play could it?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
dougdeep said:
It couldn't be because we didn't let you play could it?

What he said !

Thanks for the albion praise.

Personally I think the reason you didn't get into your 'stride' was because we didn't sit back in awe and think "wow, a premiership side".

We actually took the game to you and your players didn't respond as a premiership outfit.

First goal was flukey, King didn't know where the ball was going and our keeper was half way up the pitch on his positioning.

Your second goal was world class.

In their heart of hearts, spurs fans know they are lucky not to be coming to Withdean for a replay. :)

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
why is always" thats the worst we have played in ages" routine it gets so boring it could'nt be that the other team stopped you playing for most of the game.and by the way your facilities at the away end are terrible.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Was it really that surprising ? We tend to play well against good teams and there was no pressure on us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here