Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video - Andy Rollings v Justin Fashanu (Brighton v Norwich 1979/80)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Wasn't it Fash who split open Fozzie's head which led to the famous headband?

No, that was in a clash with Andy Gray in the game against Wolves on the opening day of the 1980/81 season.

Attachments

• foster.png
    foster.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I remember going absolutely ape when Rollo got sent off. Going crazy I was because of the thuggish way Fashanu had been throwing his weight around all game.

Seeing the film all these years later is amazing. Thanks.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was at that game, what you don't see in the video is the fact that all through the game Fashanu had been using his elbows and Rollo had taken several thumps in and around the face before the sending off incident.
The ref had let Fash get away with loads and I think Rollo blew up when he really got lamped because he was not getting any protection from the ref.

About time you went to another game soon then isn't it Veg ?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
My thoughts exactly. Brought a big smile to my face hearing the commentator sticking up for Rollings after he absolutely lamped Fash. Compare that to the pundits on MOTD last night describing those two WBA penalties as "stonewall" - the game has indeed changed, for the worse.

My thoughts too! Gone are the days when a defender lying injured in his own half plays the opposition onside!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I remember going absolutely ape when Rollo got sent off. Going crazy I was because of the thuggish way Fashanu had been throwing his weight around all game.

Seeing the film all these years later is amazing. Thanks.

I was at that game. Fashanu suffered mercilessly from the monkey taunts, clear as day I can still see his grinning face as he responded back, by imitating being a monkey to the North Stand faithfull.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here