Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video - Alan Mullery is back - and doesn't think much of Palace! (1986)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't know if you guys have seen this. This is from the press conference on 12 May 1986 when Alan Mullery was re-appointed manager.

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFIebj9qvwg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFIebj9qvwg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

You can find other Albion vids from the 1970s and 1980s on www.seagulls.tv - if you have any VHS tapes with Albion footage, e.g. taped off the telly, let me know!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Was Alan Mullery's second spell really a disaster? I'm not actually old enough to remember - but looking it up, the club were 15th in the old Second Division when he got the boot (having finished 11th the previous season). Doesn't seem that bad considering he didn't have much money to spend.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
GR thats my point, legend has it that Messrs Bedson, Bloom (Ray), Sizen and Campbell wanted shot of Cattlin who was very popular, with his sucess at Worthing and the fact he would come cheap its rumoured Bloom wanted Lloyd straight in, which would have caused a riot (long before the belotti era).
Therefore Mullery, arguably the most sucessful boss in the club's history was wheeled out for the press, having been told Lloyd would be on his staff, but the first chance they got to bin him they did, and Lloydie was in the hotseat within hours, with a remit of clearing out the big wage earners even if it meant relegation, which happened at the end of 86-87.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks for sharing that. I had no idea they had it in for Mullery from the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here