Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Victor Osimhen

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think, back in the day English supporters directed "What's that pineapple on your head" at black players ? If true would imagine the "coconut" abuse refers to the white stripe on top of his head ?
No it wasn't.
The pineapple head thing was directed solely at Jason Lee, on account of his hair style. He later revealed how much that upset him.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm not sure whether the term coconut is used in Italy in the same was as in some other nations (ie. Brown on the outside, white within).

However, cocco, the Italian for coconut is used as term of endearment, akin to darling. The song used is apparently popular amongst kids. This version has millions of YouTube views:

I'd still say using it as a video featuring a black player is misguided at best but maybe, just maybe, not quite as outrageous as it first seems. Still a major fek up by their social media admin.

What do you think @Sepulveda ?

NB. I'm on no way excusing it, just adding a little context. I think the base thinking was probably he has dark skin, coconuts are brown, silly song, might get some likes.

Is this character also based on Mick Fleetwood?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm not sure whether the term coconut is used in Italy in the same was as in some other nations (ie. Brown on the outside, white within).

However, cocco, the Italian for coconut is used as term of endearment, akin to darling. The song used is apparently popular amongst kids. This version has millions of YouTube views:

I'd still say using it as a video featuring a black player is misguided at best but maybe, just maybe, not quite as outrageous as it first seems. Still a major fek up by their social media admin.

What do you think @Sepulveda ?

NB. I'm on no way excusing it, just adding a little context. I think the base thinking was probably he has dark skin, coconuts are brown, silly song, might get some likes.

Not sure sepulveda will have the best take on this.

Or maybe I'm being unfair and its just that Italy as a nation are in the same time zone as Burnley.

Not a good country to be in if black from what we learn from football.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
No it wasn't.
The pineapple head thing was directed solely at Jason Lee, on account of his hair style. He later revealed how much that upset him.
Mainly upset due to a TV show that broadcast it and mocked his performances continually rather than fans at games I believe.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am wondering if this is all a bit storm in a tea cup. The coconut stuff looks terrible but in the context of the twitter 'craze' thing it is explainable.

Having a light dig about missing a penalty may not be great but surely if in a good place that can be laughed off?

Seems like agent and player a possibly using all this to secure a lucrative move.

Such a shit apology really hasn't helped Napoli's cause.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Just my opinion here...

Racism is complex. People who've experienced it all their lives may have been deeply affected and recognise it where 'onlookers' might not. It might seem something we (I'm white) could laugh off or explain away, having never been on the end of it, but still might be deeply hurtful to them, and compound ingrained hurt from the past.

Even if something wasn't "intended" as racist they may still perceive it that way, if it's been almost programmed into them to expect it. I don't mean by this that they are being over-sensitive about it or that it's somehow their fault because they're offended where I might not be. It's not. What I mean is because of this, there's a reasonable onus on all of us to take that extra second to think, not about how we would feel in a situation, but about how the person on the end of it might. It's not being woke (I hate that word), it's just being empathetic.

It shouldn't be too hard to recognise that someone who is black (or any minority ethnicity) may have had different life experiences and need a bit of extra thought about what you say, how you say it, and how it might make them feel. In the same way you might give extra thought to your interactions with someone with a disability or any other protected characteristic. I don't think that's too much to ask. And especially not from someone posting in an official capacity.

And if you do offend someone, even inadvertently, you need to hold your hands up and say sorry. Not "we didn't mean it". Not "sorry *you* took offence" (not that Napoli even said that), but sorry *we* caused offence. Own it, correct it, try to do better.

Anyway that's my thoughts, not aimed at anyone on here, just putting it out. Not everyone will see it that way, whatever.

I'll go back to being stupidly over-excited about Marseille and Ajax now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here