Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
In my BHA supporting history ( 50 years ) I would happily forsake everything that has happened ( and there have been many emotional moments ) if I could just re-write two small passages of time.
1) The dying seconds of the 1983 FA Cup Final and Gordon Smith buries a low, right foot shot past Gary Bailey, to win the Cup for little old Brighton.
2) Its 2012, its Derby at home and Vicente Rodriguez suddenly gets on the ball. He goes past one, two, three, four men in the blink of an eye. Driving into the box, he veers ever so slightly to the left, before unleashing a thunderous shot, that crashes into the net off the underside of the bar. We have witnessed the greatest goal we will ever see from a Brighton player.
Give me those two moments, take everything else away and I will die a happy man.

I am happy that I have witnessed the BHAFC greatest ever goal, Nelson @ Brentford and the greatest ever almost goal Vicente v Derby

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
In my BHA supporting history ( 50 years ) I would happily forsake everything that has happened ( and there have been many emotional moments ) if I could just re-write two small passages of time.
1) The dying seconds of the 1983 FA Cup Final and Gordon Smith buries a low, right foot shot past Gary Bailey, to win the Cup for little old Brighton.
2) Its 2012, its Derby at home and Vicente Rodriguez suddenly gets on the ball. He goes past one, two, three, four men in the blink of an eye. Driving into the box, he veers ever so slightly to the left, before unleashing a thunderous shot, that crashes into the net off the underside of the bar. We have witnessed the greatest goal we will ever see from a Brighton player.
Give me those two moments, take everything else away and I will die a happy man.

Which now makes me think of watching coast to coast news (?).........

“If my granny had balls she’d be my grandad” – Liam Brady sums up Brighton’s dismal performance vs Canvey Island, 1995

Which, perversely, is actually one of my all time favourite Albion memories! (especially the bit right at the end when Liam walks away then pauses and looks like he's contemplating, for a fraction of a second, going completely head-mental).

Edit - watch out for the guy behind the window licker, who is gently stroking his lovely poney tail.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

My favourite non-goal Albion moment by a country mile. I've said this before, but just look at the reaction of the crowd. Shock. Total and utter shock that we just watched Vicente ****ing Rodriguez do a Messi wearing a Brighton shirt at our incredible new stadium.

That round of applause after the miss and as he came off the pitch immediately afterwards was such a poignant moment. How far we've come.

Edit: If you look closely,you can just about see one guy in the North Stand who jumps up and down uncontrollably after the shot. That's how I hope I reacted.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I bloody love you, Vicente.

Aside from the Portsmouth and Derby games, another highlight for me was him coming on against Ipswich on a freezing cold day and completely owning their defence, getting the assist for Barnes (?)'s winner. It was mesmerising.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
We should organise a group of us lot, fly out to Miami (partly for a jolly) and all beg him to come back like the Ex we should have always treated better and never let go.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

My favourite non-goal Albion moment by a country mile. I've said this before, but just look at the reaction of the crowd. Shock. Total and utter shock that we just watched Vicente ****ing Rodriguez do a Messi wearing a Brighton shirt at our incredible new stadium.

That round of applause after the miss and as he came off the pitch immediately afterwards was such a poignant moment. How far we've come.

Edit: If you look closely,you can just about see one guy in the North Stand who jumps up and down uncontrollably after the shot. That's how I hope I reacted.

Goosebumps. I can still hear the sound of the ball hitting the crossbar.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's footballing moments such as those of Vicente magic that live in the memory forever and make you just about tolerate all the crap that goes with the modern game and the 99.9% dross that gets served up to you as standard.

¡Viva Vicente! :bowdown:

That is probably my favourite memory of his time here - a dull 0-0 when he came off the bench, and he proceeded to absolutely rip them apart.

Me too - is it my fading memory but did he get "MOM" for that ?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Somehow, for me, that he hit the crossbar rather than score against Derby makes it all the more memorable. Goals live on for all sorts of reasons, apart from quality there is importance, quirkiness or in a memorable game. The miss against Derby is in a category all of its own which is what I think makes it so memorable.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Until the sooner of Vicente Rodriguez's 50th birthday and the untimely death of Vicente Rodriguez, I will go into every summer break with an unspoken, but desperate desire to hear the news that we have re-signed Vicente Rodriguez. As each season passes, the dream grows further away, but it never goes away completely. We remember you Vicente, we remember.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Video anyone!

Not of Mo Gosfield dying surely ! :eek:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Watch these without bursting into tears - Volume Up.
I dare you.

What a player. How lucky those of you who got to see him in the flesh.

What also struck me about those videos is what a collection of great players we had and what magnificent football we played under Poyet when it ll clicked. Sublime.

And to think that people were moaning even then.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

This, with a beer on top

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here