Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Vicente was the Kevin Pietersen of the Albion. Moody, awkward, unpredictable, but managed correctly could make your heart beat faster, do things that could make your jaw drop, and will be missed far more by fans than those who have to work with him on a day to day basis.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'll always remember that non goal when he drifted past 1-2-3 Derby players then twatted the bar. Everyone was looking at each in disbelief at what they were watching.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Vicente was the Kevin Pietersen of the Albion. Moody, awkward, unpredictable, but managed correctly could make your heart beat faster, do things that could make your jaw drop, and will be missed far more by fans than those who have to work with him on a day to day basis.

That was always the impression I got, but quite a few people at the club stated that he was a lovely lad, easy to get on with.

Mystery?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Genius
Most gifted player ive watched in a Brighton shirt. Could do things that no one else in the Championship could do.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I loved Vicente when he played but I think we already have enough sick notes thanks and we just got rid of one player who had problems motivating himself. Vicente was a luxury player, we can't afford any of those at the moment imo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh and another thing. I'd have played Vicente in both legs vs Palace, even if I knew he only had one leg. Zaha produced a couple of seconds of genius in those ties to win it all; Vicente could have done the same but Gus' mind had long since been turned.

I'm not sure I would have played him at Palace but he certainly should have been on the bench at least at the Amex.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I've only seen nice things said about Vicente from the players, don't know what Charlie thought of him, who knows what Tanno thought about anything, but Gus obviously had a problem with him.
The higher up Gus goes in management, the more he will find players that need their egos stroking more than instruction, that could be Gus' Achilles heel, for all his support of Saurez, I can't imagine Gus keeping hold of and turning a player around from a refusing to play, sulky want away, to top scorer in the Premier League.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Vicente is the most talented footballer we have ever had by a distance. There are only a handful (or two) of clubs in the country who have ever had a more talented footballer on their books. Obviously we had "Vicente-lite," that goes without saying, but blimey, Vicente played for Brighton. If that doesn't make your jaw drop you ought to find something else to do with your time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Vicente is the most talented footballer we have ever had by a distance. There are only a handful (or two) of clubs in the country who have ever had a more talented footballer on their books. Obviously we had "Vicente-lite," that goes without saying, but blimey, Vicente played for Brighton. If that doesn't make your jaw drop you ought to find something else to do with your time.

And if only he was fit more often / selected when fit more often last season we'd probably be getting ready for a home game versus West Brom at the weekend :(

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'd have played Vicente in both legs vs Palace, even if I knew he only had one leg. Zaha produced a couple of seconds of genius in those ties to win it all; Vicente could have done the same but Gus' mind had long since been turned.

This with bells on, Oh and Gus had given up on us by then so did not give two figs.... It seems as though with his attitude I would not have put it past him that he never even gave the team talk for the last game.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This with bells on, Oh and Gus had given up on us by then so did not give two figs.... It seems as though with his attitude I would not have put it past him that he never even gave the team talk for the last game.

In retrospect you have to wonder if Gus's loss of interest and apparent falling out with Vicente was the reason he played so infrequently towards the wnd, rather than injury.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh and another thing. I'd have played Vicente in both legs vs Palace, even if I knew he only had one leg. Zaha produced a couple of seconds of genius in those ties to win it all; Vicente could have done the same but Gus' mind had long since been turned.

This conveniently neglects that in that interview after the game, Vicente revealed that he wasn't fit enough to play at the Amex. In other words, he wasn't prepared to risk himself on the last -- and most important -- game of the season. Many on here like to neglect this, and would rather have a go at Gus.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In retrospect you have to wonder if Gus's loss of interest and apparent falling out with Vicente was the reason he played so infrequently towards the wnd, rather than injury.

Oh come on nail and head.....

Two egotistical people would never clash would they ? One of them should have been the bigger person and realised that the other could very well have helped the club possibly reach the promised land in the play offs as stated before Zaha was for the most part missing in the Palace games, however changed the game with moments of magic..... most of us would have been the bigger man, but Gus is not most men.

Vicente to me was and is an Albion legend in the same vain as perhaps Frank Worthington was when he graced the Goldstone briefly.

Gus has had his reputation tarnished and sadly he in my eyes should have been, but wont be for me.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

I feel robbed of quality Vicente time on the pitch and for that I hold Gus' managerial skills and his over-inflated ego entirely responsible. :angry:
So what if Vicente was a bit fair weather and a lot of a prima donna - the manager gets paid to manage doesn't he? Falling out with maverick individuals might dog Gus career I fear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here