Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
wouldn't the correct term be "false 9"?

i.e. a forward who drops into midfield to find room

Not his best position, and defo NOT what we need...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No it doesn't as to placate the "get if forward FFS" brigade he would have to receive the ball and thump it up-field.

'Get it forward FFS' is a HUGE over-simplification... many fans just want us to move the ball forward more quickly SOMETIMES to avoid the fact that we CONSTANTLY allow our opponents to casually reorganise whilst we pass the ball around at the back for approximately 30 minutes.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
No, no, no, no... tried it, failed experiment...

How is 3-1 v Chelsea, 1-1 v reading and losing to Swindon a failure? What about his first three games in centre mid where he was useless?

Hope he tries it will work like a treat with Buckley and barnes\lopez either side drifting in all different positions.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How is 3-1 v Chelsea, 1-1 v reading and losing to Swindon a failure? What about his first three games in centre mid where he was useless?

Hope he tries it will work like a treat with Buckley and barnes\lopez either side drifting in all different positions.

You quote two friendly games as a success. I prefer to rely on the multiple competitive games in which he starred in midfield. Swindon was a competitive game too, and that was one almighty tactical fcuk-up.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
You quote two friendly games as a success. I prefer to rely on the multiple competitive games in which he starred in midfield. Swindon was a competitive game too, and that was one almighty tactical fcuk-up.

Erm I've seen enough quality in them two home games to know it works. Pitch was awful v Swindon too.

stroller

Jun 24, 2011
So why were results WORSE when Vicente deigned to play late last season?

Mainly because we lacked the quality to use him properly. The whole team just basically resorted to giving him the ball at every opportunity at the expense of the correct decision. Even Buckley was giving him the ball when he should have been running with it. We basically didnt have any players even close to being on his wavelength (with the exception of buckley at times)

With better players round him this year - Lopez, Orlandi, Bruno, Bridge in the main but also Hammond, Hoskins and Dobbie (if Poyet ever gives him a run) this wont happen again.

In particular I think we will see CMS and Hoskins getting much better service in the positions they want - ie through balls at the right pace !

If he does get match fit then he is going to force Poyet to be more attacking at home, which is what most of us think is needed.

stroller

Jun 24, 2011
With him fully fit I'd like to see us line up like this

TK

Bruno Greer El Abd Bridge

Lopez Bridcutt

Vicente Orlandi Buckley

CMS ( or Hoskins)

Lopez has shown he has ability defensively so I think provides the cover that you lose by dropping barnes, but his extra quality will is essential.

Away from home I would probably have Vicente on the bench and start Barnes.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
'Get it forward FFS' is a HUGE over-simplification... many fans just want us to move the ball forward more quickly SOMETIMES to avoid the fact that we CONSTANTLY allow our opponents to casually reorganise whilst we pass the ball around at the back for approximately 30 minutes.

And the only player at the club who is capable of doing that is Vicente.
Yet you constantly bemoan him and cant wait for him to wave goodbye and keep telling us that Tony will wave him off.

Feb 14, 2010
And the only player at the club who is capable of doing that is Vicente.
Yet you constantly bemoan him and cant wait for him to wave goodbye and keep telling us that Tony will wave him off.

You cant blame him mate. Vicente has done very little for Brighton and its at Brighton we will judge him. What he did elsewhere is irrelevant to us. Good player? Sure, but he has to go an earn his money when at Brighton or else you cant blame the fans, manager, other players and the Chairman bemoaning a waste of space. He has the ability no doubt, so its up to him to get out there and get us promoted otherwise it will always be Vicente who? If he does play and get us promoted, then he will be a hero.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You cant blame him mate. Vicente has done very little for Brighton and its at Brighton we will judge him. What he did elsewhere is irrelevant to us. Good player? Sure, but he has to go an earn his money when at Brighton or else you cant blame the fans, manager, other players and the Chairman bemoaning a waste of space. He has the ability no doubt, so its up to him to get out there and get us promoted otherwise it will always be Vicente who? If he does play and get us promoted, then he will be a hero.

some fans, manager?, other players? and the Chairman?

Feb 14, 2010
some fans, manager?, other players? and the Chairman?

I didnt say they are, i'm just saying that you cant blame them if they did. But lets wait and see. Its up to Vicente, I think he will be an easy one to judge. If he plays the rest of the season then he could well take us up. If so, then he's worth his cash and a hero. If he spends the next six months missing in action injured, then he's been a waste of space.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Kuszczak

Bruno~El-Abd~Greer~Bridge

Bridcutt

Buckley~Hammond~Orlandi~Vicente

Mackail-Smith​

CMS can be swapped for Hoskins if you like, Orlandi and Vicente can change places. That team would be a nightmare to play against!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Well obviously every team wants to move it forward quicker. The quicker that mediocre players try to play, the more mistakes they will make, mistakes that leads to chances for the other side. So what you're really saying is "get better players". Again, that's what all 92 sides are trying to do.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Moving.
I see Colin as Valencia. Or perhaps even depression itself. The sickly musk that has a hold of our blemished treasure.

Your diagnosis is very accurate MB! ever since then I have had a personal hatred of all things Colin. I developed an irrational phobia of Colin Pates large hooter when he played for the Albion for instance and I completely went off Dr Who once Colin Baker took up the role of the great time lord. Even the Olympics last year left a sour taste in my mouth every time the jovial hurdlesmith Colin Jackson minced all over the screen. I see Vicente as the Anti-Colin and as such his mere existence is single handedly helping me get over my failure to derobe Claudia of her blue Dorothy Perkins party dress.

Yoda

English & European
Kuszczak

Bruno~El-Abd~Greer~Bridge

Bridcutt

Buckley~Hammond~Orlandi~Vicente

Mackail-Smith​

CMS can be swapped for Hoskins if you like, Orlandi and Vicente can change places. That team would be a nightmare to play against!

That is what I consider to be our best line up when everyone is fit, although you could choose between Hammond, Crofts and Dicker depending on form.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Vicente reminds me of a girl I once fancied many years ago, her name was Claudia and I was infatuated with her, I stood no chance though as she was going out with Colin who was a few years older and cruised around in a bright red 3 litre Capri that seemed to have a surfboard permanently strapped to the roofrack. I bumped into Claudia one night at a party and she sidled up to me seductively, the bitch knew I was in love with her and was toying with me, Colin was in the kitchen furiously trying to gain access to a large metal drum of Watney's party 7 so I chanced my arm and got a bit closer to her. I extinguished the Peter Stuyvesant cigarette I was smoking and gave her a look that simply said, "f*** Colin, he's a nonce and I'm halfway through my O levels and am a much better prospect", I'm not sure she deciphered the look but nonetheless she drew closer and her hip connected softly with my groin area, there was violent flash of static as her crushed nylon dress reacted with my burgundy two-tone stay pressed trousers and the bolt of electricity went straight through my knackers! I was almost there and in anticipation leaned forward a little as I focused on her heavily made up face and bright red lips, this was it I thought, I'm f***ing in here. Alas out of the corner of my eye I saw Colin standing there in the kitchen doorway, big droopy moustache and mullet with bleached highlights, white towelling socks brazenly on show above tassled black casual shoes -what a wanker! I screwed my face up and looked him right in the eye, I'm going to tell him what a twat he is I thought, instead I opened my mouth and said, "Alright mate, how's the Capri?". I didn't bother to listen to the reply, I was defeated and with shoulder's slumped walked back to my mum's. Like I say, its easy to see how I make the link to Vicente isn't it?

superb

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He won't play against Derby, surely? Just a cameo appearance in the big match against Arsenal or Swansea, and he'll be back on the sick list again

Dec 16, 2010
Over there

You rely on multiple consecutive posts, to come to a point about multiple competitive games. That was an incredible 7 consecutive posts without reply, surely some record on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here