Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] veterinary practice - Brighton

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can anyone recommend a veterinary practice in Brighton (or within driving distance) ?

We've always used New Priory in Westdene, but they seem to have become horrendously expensive (particularly now that our cat is apparently too old to insure). Her last 'dental work' was more than I've ever spent on my teeth ! Anyone have any recommendations ?

Thanking you in expectation (and a load of animal puns :wink:)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree about New Priory. I was at their Peacehaven branch for years, but when Mr Richardson died suddenly, they sold out to some big concern. I lost my cat to a pancreatic infection last year.

I think some of my friends in Brighton use Coastway.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We use Coastway when a cat astrophe

We took our cat Ava last week as she was going bald, fur returning slowly for winter

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We use coastway in Shoreham, good so far, but nothing much has gone wrong with dogs yet, both been reliable.

On the odd occasion we have visited they didn't look like they were practicing, quite professional in fact , which was reassuring.

Although the dogs would have you believe otherwise.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For cats and rabbits, Top Cat on Mackie Avenue are amazing. Used by the RSPCA and local cat charities.

Putting to one side the cost of meds, their bills are a fraction of New Priory’s.

I got fed up with handing over £900 to New Priory, on repeat.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Another shout for Coastway. We use the Lewes Branch (Karen is amazing) but surgery and emergencies are dealt with at Brighton. We had our dog spayed last year and it was very reasonable and professional.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
£900? ****inell guv!

I took Rocco to the vet last Friday . . . She shoved a finger up his arse . . . His face was a picture.

£28 well spent 😂

And no I've not booked myself in to have my glands checked!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
For cats and rabbits, Top Cat on Mackie Avenue are amazing. Used by the RSPCA and local cat charities.

Putting to one side the cost of meds, their bills are a fraction of New Priory’s.

I got fed up with handing over £900 to New Priory, on repeat.
Another vote for Top Cat.
Absolutely brilliant & lovely people

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Another shout for Coastway. We use the Kemptown branch. Had some dental work done recently on one of our dogs. Not only did they stick to the quote they gave us three months prior, but they actually did a bit extra and included it in the price. Pus the two follow-up appointments were also included. (We didn't know that and were expecting to pay!)

We switched a few years ago from Grove Lodge. We'd always been happy with them and had been with them for about 20 years, but then they got really expensive*. In addition, whereas they used to be really punctual, towards the end we found were often kept waiting over an hour, even though we had a timed appointment slot. When we asked how much longer they'd always say "We've had an emergency". In other words they'd pared back the number of vets on duty to save money.

*A friend of ours who had similar dental treatment on a similar dog ended up paying nearly £300 more than we did at Coastway.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I throw in an extra one - Acorn Vets - one branch in Hangleton Way and another in Portland Road. One of the few vets that hasn't sold out to one of the few big players in the industry.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ha! I was just looking at some of the setting in my profile, and there's something called 'Reactions received'. I clicked on it and I think it's a list of thumbs-up I've received. The top two are for today, but after that the next one was from 2011 - where I'd recommended Grove Lodge vets!
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/brighton-vets-recommendations-please.209336/
(In fairness at the time I would have done as like I said we were previously really happy with them).

Spooky that is should be near the top of the list. Co-incidence? Or is this a Facebook-like thing where it knows what I've been saying and reacts accordingly?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm with Top Cat and would recommend them. However, on her first appointment with them after release from the RSPCA (with teeth noted as Grade 1, examined under anesthetic) TopCat recommended two teeth out at a cost of £600-800 (depending on how many of the recommended xrays and blood tests). This was diagnosed from a quick physical examination only. I politely declined after speaking again to the RSPCA. "Tooth resorption" is very common in cats, 3 out of 4 cats over 5 years old will have it. It is progressive and can become very painful and surgery to remove teeth is the treatment - but imho you have to wonder if it is Insurance that drives the treatment and the high cost (same as for human dentistry)? My cat is uninsurable due to her existing issues (well managed). Two people from the RSPCA said to me that every time you take your cat to the vets nowadays they're likely to recommend some dentistry (at very high cost) ...
Another vet there examined her teeth a year later and said they were fine, nothing highlighted. I keep an eye on her and she currently eats hard and wet food ok without issues or any signs of discomfort/eating on one side etc. I'd stress again that I have been very happy with the attitude and competency of Top Cat but it does make me wonder (it's all well and good getting a young kitten insured but there are many older cats and cats with issues desperately seeking adoption who are uninsurable).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here