Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very o/t - Anyone got experience of teaching English abroad?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Some countries require a degree before you're allowed to teach, and I think Japan might be one of them (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!), but in most of the world a CELTA will stand you in good stead.

You need a degree to get a teaching visa in Japan. If you already have a visa- working holiday, spouse etc then you can find employment teaching without the need of a degree.

Also, the degree need bare no relevance to teaching or English. Just so long as you have a proper university level degree you'll be able to get the work visa.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm glad someone made a thread about this, and it's even better the excellent information people are giving, because i've been thinking about this for a while now aswell. Basically what I want to do is complete a Bachelor of Primary Education degree at university and then after a number of years of being a Primary School Teacher move on to teaching abroad. As far as I can see so far it appears that the jobs you are all talking about involves teaching adults english, I was just wondering if there are jobs with a similar entry process that would allow me to teach english to children abroad? If this is not possible or I end up changing my mind and teaching adults english, would the degree of primary education have any relevance and count for anything? Moreover if I was teaching children abroad would the degree count for anything?
I realise that being in Australia the entry processes etc may be different, but I was just hopiing to get any information I can on this, to help me get a clearer mind of what I need to do, and the reality of me doing it.

If you are a fully qualified school teacher then I guess you should be able to find a job at an international school. If all you want to do is teach English to kids for a year or so then your qualifications and experience as a primary school teacher will be more than enough. I know several people who have taught only kids and they had no prior knowledge or experience. If I was you though, I'd go the international school route. Those guys seem to move about all over the world.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
As far as I can see so far it appears that the jobs you are all talking about involves teaching adults english, I was just wondering if there are jobs with a similar entry process that would allow me to teach english to children abroad?

In most British Council centres now around 50% of your work will be with children - one of the reasons we are moving on this summer! In some centres like Hong Kong some teachers have mostly kids classes, so you will be able to find the work you want if you hunt around.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
I resent this comment. I'm sure there's a line somewhere. I'm just yet to find it! :)

Hi SR,
Do you know of many people getting jobs with only an online qualification? Or would you say the absolute minimum should be CELTA? Especially considering I don't have a degree.

And thanks for replying.

I'm slightly out-of-date with TEFL, but I'm pretty sure that, as the others on here are saying, a CELTA is a far better investment than an online course. Apart from anything else, when you've just qualified with a CELTA you'll still be very green and there's a lot to learn if you want to do the job properly (to be fair, a lot of people don't bother and still have fun); anything less demanding than a CELTA is going to leave you at a disadvantage, I'd think.

I taught EFL overseas and in the UK for years, and it's a good thing to do when you're young and want to travel (it's a bit of a dosser's job, better abroad really, at least I thought so). You'll have a fantastic time - enjoy it!

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
In 2002 i went to Madrid and studied a 1 month TEFL course and taught english there for two years. Great experience and a fabtastic way to see a country and have a job. This basically applies to pretty much any country in the world although may always be easier to find work in bigger cities. My personal experience was that it was great for a few years but difficult as a career as no paid holidays when language schools shut for summer and fluctuating hours having to be supplemented with private classes. I found work in summer camps teaching kids again great experience but a pain to have to do yeay in, year out. Overall easy to find work after studying only a month and something that can be used to find work wherever you want to go. Id recommrnd Buenos Aires, fantastic city

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Perhaps rather than studying an online do as i did, pick where you want to go and investigate which TEFL courses are available to study over there. First month in madrid a 1 month intensive course mon-fri, 8 hrs a day with assignments too, taking your first classes with non-paying students and lots of advice on teaching methods. Great intro to teaching and you get to know ppl and the city before working there.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
TEFL can be a career. It's not just for young people! I have no intention of returning to the UK for the foreseeable future!!

If you have a CELTA (or equivalent) then there are many companies offering full time contracts with decent wages and paid holidays. Further study for a DELTA or MA will lead to management or development positions, some of which pay very well. Some people like me are content to stay at teacher level (but gripe about management on a daily basis) and avoid further study at all costs!!!

My experiences so far:
Argentina - very difficult to mke enough money to live on but an amazing place for cutting your teeth in the job. We did a year in Buenos Aires and a year in Salta.
Syria - British Council pay well and offer you the chance to develop your skills. Great country for exploring. Currently not a good place to go and the centre have suspended operations.
Azerbaijan - whoever you teach with in Baku pays well with good paid holidays. Definitely worth a year.
Tunisia - AmidEast were a bunch of cowboys compared to the British Council so no wonder we defected. Fantastic country and you can earn enough to live on, travel and save a bit. Problem is that nobody knows how the post-revolution country is going to develop. Elections in October but by then we'll be somewhere else!

Russ

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Ah one detail i forgot to mention :) Studying the TEFL course in madrid did cost about £1000 and online is much less i guess. However theres no substitute for the practical experience you gain from being in a classroom all month with experienced english teachers telling you what its all about.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I notice a couple of posters say the CELTA course is extremely difficult. What exactly is difficult about it? The hours? The workload? Or the lessons, content etc?

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
From what i've read the intensity of the course seems to be a major factor.

I've emailed an IH school in Lebanon to see if I can get on their next CELTA course. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I notice a couple of posters say the CELTA course is extremely difficult. What exactly is difficult about it? The hours? The workload? Or the lessons, content etc?

CELTA is intense. Basically you have to devote a month of your life to learning fast, planning and performing a lesson everyday (and having that lesson scrutinised by tutors and peers) whilst writing 4 papers on various aspects of ESL and (most importantly) coming across as energetic, savvy and thoroughly sociable and adjustable (like you could cope being immersed in a strange culture).

The other point about CELTA is that it's not a given - if you're not the right material they will fail you and you will lose 1 grand + and a month of your life.

I say go for it. It was the best thing I did since Uni.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India

I've emailed an IH school in Lebanon to see if I can get on their next CELTA course. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Lebanon - That's an interesting choice, can I ask why you fancy going there? It's a bit different compared to us ESL asiafiles - but I'm interested in the market there.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Lebanon - That's an interesting choice, can I ask why you fancy going there? It's a bit different compared to us ESL asiafiles - but I'm interested in the market there.

I don't know tbh. I've been interested in visiting the country for quite a while. It just seemed a nice oppurtunity to tie in that dream with an extended stay.

I do have a passing interest in the Middle East and I think Lebanon would be a gentle introduction to the area. I'm considering doing the course in Thailand or Mexico also, should this not come off.

With regards to teaching, Mongolia is at the top of my list. Purely for the romance of the place.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I don't know tbh. I've been interested in visiting the country for quite a while. It just seemed a nice oppurtunity to tie in that dream with an extended stay.

I do have a passing interest in the Middle East and I think Lebanon would be a gentle introduction to the area. I'm considering doing the course in Thailand or Mexico also, should this not come off.

With regards to teaching, Mongolia is at the top of my list. Purely for the romance of the place.

That's cool - I love your spirit. You clearly aren't too concerned with needing to earn money at this time in your life so you should go where you want to and see how you enjoy the lifestyle.

I've managed to make a living out of this for a decade now and am fast approaching my 40th. I say enjoy yourself for a couple of years going to all the places you want to, and if you still love the travelling/teaching life like I do - upgrade to jobs/countries that pay well. Then you can start saving and investing in plans/places you want to retire to - and I guarantee you will be able to retire before your friends who got married and worked for 'the man' at home.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

A word of advice- try and read up on teaching methods and grammar before you start the course. It'll make it a hell of a lot easier. Good luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here