Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Venice In January

el punal

It will be Mrs.Punal’s birthday in January and to celebrate we’re thinking of having a short break in Venice. Many reviews say it’s the best time of year to go as there won’t be hordes of tourists but most of the sites will still be accessible. So, has anyone been and what recommendations would you suggest? Thanks.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
The wife and I did Venice in January all the way back in 2006 (in the days when you could fly to
European cities for a thruppence). It was foggy and extremely cold but still very much worth it. No queues, plenty of space, easy to find a table at good restaurants.
The small ferries still go out to the small fishing islands in the lagoon so that’s a good day trip.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We went in February, pre-covid, so must have been 2019 - and had a great time - weather was cold but sunny - no crowds.

Coincidentally, it was 'Venice Festival/Carnival' (we had no idea before we went) and it was fantastic - not sure when it will be in 2024.

Just checked - starts 3rd Feb 24

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Me and the ex went in January around 15 years ago, we stayed in a lovely hotel on Lido, I was astonished how cheap it was.

Venice is expensive in the tourist areas as you might anticipate, but we had a nice couple of days, and the weather was sunny and crisp blue skies

mile oak

May 21, 2023
from my visit may years ago i say its worthwhile going but still overrated. Dress up no shorts if you want to visit the popular tourist attractions.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It will be Mrs.Punal’s birthday in January and to celebrate we’re thinking of having a short break in Venice. Many reviews say it’s the best time of year to go as there won’t be hordes of tourists but most of the sites will still be accessible. So, has anyone been and what recommendations would you suggest? Thanks.
Do your research before you go as there are lots of places to eat / drink where you don't get ripped off.

Expect to get lost and your mobile unable to help you out.

The best way in (of course) a private boat from the airport.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Beautiful place, there is so much to see and do, just do not eat or stay near the station, we stayed in the Hotel Rialto, very nice.
You can walk all day, just stopping anywhere you fancy for a coffee or bite to eat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I can recommend this. We went to all of the listed bars, bar one which had closed, and ate and drank well and they are all lovely venues.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS I love that Venician sardine dish witht onions and raisins.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
If (and only if) you have the time and stay there a bit, you could also visit Treviso, lovely underrated town that's only half an hour away by train.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thanks for your comments everybody. Mrs.Punal is now very excited! :lolol:
I went in Jan some years ago, sorry can't remember exactly, It was flooded and hard to get about.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Get boat transfer to hotel. Great fun. Went in Feb 4yrs ago. Good time to do it. Walked and walked. We left just before Festival of Masks which looked massive event judging by the prep. Recommend buy a day ticket for public water taxi and hop on hop off as you like.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would suggest (re)visiting Nicolas Roeg's 1973 masterpiece 'Don't Look Now' starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie to get you in the mood. Much of that was filmed in Venice in January. Maybe beware of any vertically-challenged person in a red hoodie tho eh? :ohmy:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wonderful place. We did a guided walking tour for a couple of hours early on which was v interesting. Using the water buses is a great way of getting around Inc the return trip to the airport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here