Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Veltman - as if we didn't know

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Well that will be a first, l haven't seen any defender in the Premier League "easily pocket" Jack yet. I know he is open to ridicule, but Jack Grealish is actually a very good player. As much as we would like to think otherwise!

Pretty much the definition of easily pocketed.
I don't think JV broke sweat.
Wound him up a treat, too

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Somebody has posted a dutch interview on here before, and I got the impression some Ajax fans gave him some stick for some mistakes he'd made. Personally I just can't imagine that, I think his first season with us was faultless. The really nice thing is he looks like a player who is confident and enjoying playing, long may it continue.

Also Veltman's verstaility is so impressive, as he seems to be consistently great wherever he plays. The fact we have Lamptey as well, sharing the right back role shows how strong we are there, as you say.

If you look at the left side, March had a great season but it would be amazing if we could get a left sided equivalent of Veltman that could share the role with March. We'd be so well balanced, its exciting to think about.

There is a left sided equivalent, Jetro Willems. Dutch international left back, and available on a free transfer.

The only downside is he is coming back from a serious knee injury, but if he could pass the medical, he'd be ideal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So Lamptey gets himself 100% fit , do you drop Veltman?

Tough one to call , hopefully.

Horses for courses innit.

Some games will be suited to the flairtasticness of Lamptey.
Some games will require the defensive guile of Velts.

Only a maniac would commit Lamptey to a full season 6 months after his hamstring went twang 15 (or so) games into the previous season, esp when Joel is available.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Horses for courses innit.

Some games will be suited to the flairtasticness of Lamptey.
Some games will require the defensive guile of Velts.

Only a maniac would commit Lamptey to a full season 6 months after his hamstring went twang 15 (or so) games into the previous season, esp when Joel is available.

All of this.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
There is a left sided equivalent, Jetro Willems. Dutch international left back, and available on a free transfer.

The only downside is he is coming back from a serious knee injury, but if he could pass the medical, he'd be ideal.

That's good knowledge. And very interesting, I wonder if we'll be in for him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Somebody has posted a dutch interview on here before, and I got the impression some Ajax fans gave him some stick for some mistakes he'd made. Personally I just can't imagine that, I think his first season with us was faultless. The really nice thing is he looks like a player who is confident and enjoying playing, long may it continue.

Also Veltman's verstaility is so impressive, as he seems to be consistently great wherever he plays. The fact we have Lamptey as well, sharing the right back role shows how strong we are there, as you say.

If you look at the left side, March had a great season but it would be amazing if we could get a left sided equivalent of Veltman that could share the role with March. We'd be so well balanced, its exciting to think about.

My thoughts exactly.

Ajax have had incredible players over the decades, some of the world's greatest ever ... I wonder if they're a tough audience?

That's my hope too. A classy LWB to vie with Solly for that position.

Then imho that's our entire defence/goalkeeper/wing-backs sorted.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I thought quoting ‘Sussex live’ or ‘B&H independent’ constituted an automatic 6 month ban from NSC? :lol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well that will be a second, l haven't seen any other defender in the Premier League "easily pocket" Jack yet. I know he is open to ridicule, but Jack Grealish is actually a very good player. As much as we would like to think otherwise!

Corrected for you.*

*Grealish may not have been 100% fit.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Well that will be a first, l haven't seen any defender in the Premier League "easily pocket" Jack yet. I know he is open to ridicule, but Jack Grealish is actually a very good player. As much as we would like to think otherwise!

Read an interesting observation from Paul Haywood this morning on Grealish and how he seeks out contact, which he says isn't good for his legs and how all the top players are able to go through most challenges and either continue their runs or pass the ball to team mates rather than going to ground.
Effectively saying that Grealish actually slows down the attacking play and is likely to suffer more injuries.

Whereas Grealish is happy to continue as he is because of the free kick expertise in the England side.

So he could get better can we can get rid of the usual commentator remarks of the most fouled player in the PL (which we all know should be most free kicks awarded)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I love Velts. He’s been an incredible signing for the price.

But Lamptey is potentially world class. He has to start when fit.

Potentially.
But atm Tariq is leagues behind JV defensively.
When we need a classy, professional, right *back*. Capable of shit housing for 90 minutes, without danger of a red card.
There is no comparison. We're still likely to have to do a lot of defending in the Premier league

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just a hunch but I reckon he has covid . Still it has opened up a doorway for Duffy .

the first game he was out it was because he was a 'close contact'

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just a hunch but I reckon he has covid . Still it has opened up a doorway for Duffy .

On his social media he was out and about this week so hopefully on his way back with no complications if that is the case

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
the first game he was out it was because he was a 'close contact'

And he's out for the Everton game which is 14 days after

Covid certainly a possibility. I understand why the club aren't confirming cases.

Lots of other possibilities though. Lack of match fitness after the isolation for example. Keep an eye out for the week's training photos

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Presumably if Veltman does come back in when fit it either means he's fitting is at RBW so likely dropping Gross, or RCB which means we're dropping Duffy.

Both have performed well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here