Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] VE Day 2020

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
There was a commemoration of 50th anniversary of Dday and subsequent years of that.
I'm not entirely comfortable with all the Union flags flying when it was the Allies who won the Peace not just Britain.

But we live in Britain, hence the Union flags, can’t see what your problem is with that. :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't forget the spitfire flyover in Worthing for the ' Care for veterans rest home' around 1.20 ish. Flying from the east so should spot it in Brighton

Gifford House. My Dad convalesced there in 1990 following a big operation. He was very well treated and donations at his funeral 8 years went to them at his request. Whilst he was convalescing the Not Forgotten Society took him and several other resident veterans to a garden party at Buckingham Palace.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Gifford House. My Dad convalesced there in 1990 following a big operation. He was very well treated and donations at his funeral 8 years went to them at his request. Whilst he was convalescing the Not Forgotten Society took him and several other resident veterans to a garden party at Buckingham Palace.

Worked there when I was a faults man on the tools for BT, nice place

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Worked there when I was a faults man on the tools for BT, nice place

Yes, I visited my Dad there when I got south for another weekend, having visited him in the County after the op. It was light, airy, well looked after and the residents very cheerful.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think it's been said, but my concern is that WW2, something for which Britain should be rightly proud of it's role in winning, is regularly misused in a nationalist way by those who were not alive at the time.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
My father was in the fleet air arm an engine mechanic on the navy's version of the Spitefire the Sea Spit then after VE Day he was employed all over mainland Europe collecting the Machinery of War

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I may be wrong but I'm sure the 50th anniversary was commemorated as well? And that is what I feel today is, a commemoration of the Day rather than a celebration. I am sure my Grandad would have appreciated that.

Remembrance Day is for all conflicts e.g. Malaysia, Korea, the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan etc.. Or at least that is my reading of it.

EDIT: Found two more Union Jacks in garage so those are going either side of the front door!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....arty-britain-end-second-world-war-2841509?amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sky News are showing the commemoration live from Paris at the moment. I am pleased that they have chosen to illustrate that, as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] says, it's not just about us.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I shall be raising a glass in memory of my grandfathers one of which fought in North Africa and Italy, the other first saw action in the D-Day landings as an 18 year old and also to my great uncle who was sunk while serving in the far east on board HMS Prince of Wales and ended up in a Japanese P.O.W. camp, I hope we as a nation will also remember V.J. day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nicky Campbell is hosting an excellent phone-in right now. He does these things so well.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Don't forget the spitfire flyover in Worthing for the ' Care for veterans rest home' around 1.20 ish. Flying from the east so should spot it in Brighton

There is a +/- 5 minute margin for this. It’s also about a 2min flight from Brighton to Worthing (based on a 350mph cruise speed) so 13:13 is the earliest they’ll fly over Brighton & Hove.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I don't have a problem with Union flags but I do have a problem with making it exclusively about us.

You need to get over yourself and stop looking for problems when there isn’t one.:shrug:
It’s about US because WE are remembering and commemorating what the British people went through in Britain.
It doesn’t mean our Allies are not forgotten and if they are remembering in same way then good on them.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
With today's lockdown it would seem possible that VJ Day on August 15th could become a date for postponed get togethers ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here